Doctor's stupidness will cost me 12500$

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 May 2005, 10:53 am

2 months ago i was so depressed and suicidal, i went to the emergency and they stop me working for 2 weeks. After those 2 weeks, i went to my doctor and he signed a new paper with stop work for an illimited period, while i'm doing therapy with a psy. Then, no news from the doc whatsoever until the human ressources girl called me. She said that she had fax a new paper to fill to my doctor and that she had no news. So i called him. Then i went to see him with the paper and he refuse to fill it.

I called the HR girl and the doc and so on until i had my doctor to call her directly. He told her that he refuse to fill this new paper because he don't think i need a prolonged stop work. Moreover, he told her that he had filled the first paper just to be freindly with me but he never consider that's what i need.

The HR girl called me back and said i have until friday this week to have my paper filled by a doctor (i have my first psychiatric appointment this thursday). If i don't have my paper then, i'll have to reimburse all the money i received during that time (2 month of salary is 12500$).

For the first time in my life i was going to make a couple of dollars because i have to sell the house because of my seperation. This money, if it ever appears, is already gone.....

My life is full of stupid things like that. What am i still doing here ?

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 12:27 pm

I feel for you (and you are right about that doctor; is there an authority of some kind you can file a complaint with? What you report is certainly un-ethical!) and it's part of our nature that money seems to slip through our fingers (often due to the actions of others).

The best defense I've found is a combination of vigillance and indifference (to monetary wealth, that is; it really dosn't buy you happiness, but it's sure a pisser when you lose it due to events beyond your control).

The avaricious types tend to be good at spotting potential "victims" (the landlord who tries to hold onto your deposit, the banks who overcharge, the con-man in the street; they all try particularly hard to deprive us "gullible" types of our hard earned cash) and also those who have a low opinion of anyone who seems too "diferent", and who thus are indiferent to our rights or welfare (and this doctor seems to be in this category) and thus careless in their duties towards us.

The proper response, to my mind is not to give up but to fight back; plan ahead, keep control of your money for as long as you can (don't trust others to treat you fairly; it's much easier to pay late than to recover money paid too soon) and always take legal action if you're confident of winning (not as likely as you'd think though; my own experience has shown that Judges can be biased against autistics too, and are inclined to give the thieves the benefit of any doubt if they appear more "normal" than we do) but that requires study, as the application of laws is nowhere near as rational or fair as most people suppose.

None of this will seem very helpful at the moment, I know, but this is a tempory event; do what you can to get that form filled, but if it comes to the worse, then pay up and then put the whole thing behind you. Tommorrow is another (brighter) day.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 1:05 pm

I would seriously consider contacting an attorney. You were following sritten doctor's orders. I don't see how you can legally be responsible here.

BeeBee

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 3:59 pm

I agree with BeeBee. If the doctor had felt that you didn't need that note in the first place, he shouldn't have filled out the first one. HE needs to be held responsible. He can't simply say "Oops. Changed my mind," or "Yes, I filled it out but I didn't really mean it."

That should be legally binding for him. Yes, contact a laywer ASAP.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/