Is this part of having anxiety disorder?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 3:38 pm

I definitely have social and general anxiety disorder, and one of the things about it is if I am spoken to unexpectedly inappropriately by someone, I have tears that begin to well up in my eyes, before I can stop them. I really cannot help having the urge to cry. My lips start to tremble, and I just want to break down into tears. Yes, many people tell me to just let things ride over me, not to let people bother me, and to just tell myself not to cry - but it is not as easy as that. Even though I'm on antidepressants (which do help with controlling anger and outbursts), I still cry or want to cry. I try to get out of the way when I want to cry, because if I keep crying in front of people I'm scared I'm going to look weak or attention-seeking. I admit, I am weak. I am sensitive and thin-skinned.

Another thing is, this is another thing that holds me back from doing certain jobs, like dealing with people. I do understand people's frustration, but it doesn't mean I can tolerate it or deal with it properly. I fear confrontation, which is why I had a bad time when I used to work in retail. Some customers could be so nasty, and I know it wasn't personally, but I still couldn't control myself. I had the urge to cry, and then when my shift was over I would walk out of there feeling upset and depressed, then cry when I got home, or panic.

I know it is an anxiety thing. I do have an anxiety disorder, and I do have social anxiety. So certain behaviours and moods from people do affect me, and I think it makes me anxious, and maybe crying is my way of responding to some negative vibes from people. I am a nervous person, always will be. Does anyone else feel like you can't control yourself from wanting to cry when people are nasty to you? Do you feel that no matter how hard you try, you just can't stop letting it all get to you? Does the advice ''just let it ride over you'' or ''don't take any notice of them'' feel like a cliche to you?

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 12:59 pm

I don't really cry, but I get tense sometimes when I feel like someone is trying to mess with my head. When I get yelled at though it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 1:53 pm

I always cry when people are mean to me. I feel like I can't help it. I just want to be liked by everybody.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 2:07 pm

I often think I did something wrong or there is something wrong with my social skills if anyone is mean to me or gets frustrated with me or irritated and also quits talking to me, online and in real life. That could be my anxiety or it could be the truth. I often go over and analyze social situations whenever something went wrong. I also feel bad when someone yells at me and it puts me to tears but I try to not cry and do a good job with it. I don't like people to see me cry. I am still a people pleaser somewhat.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 2:10 pm

Sometimes, especially online, people "get mad" at you for reasons which have nothing to do with you.

It's to gratify their egos. And to have fun at your expense.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 2:12 pm

When I experienced a period of significant anxiety I had a similar response to inappropriate/negative comments, but I think it was a low mood that made me feel more sensitive to that negativity.

Skywatcher1891
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2016, 3:16 pm

It's classic low mood. When I'm feeling down I feel an urge to cry at minor things or a need to get away from situations. You're not weak and you can't help it. It's probably worse to bottle it up as it will come out in the end.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2016, 6:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
I definitely have social and general anxiety disorder, and one of the things about it is if I am spoken to unexpectedly inappropriately by someone, I have tears that begin to well up in my eyes, before I can stop them. I really cannot help having the urge to cry. My lips start to tremble, and I just want to break down into tears. Yes, many people tell me to just let things ride over me, not to let people bother me, and to just tell myself not to cry - but it is not as easy as that. Even though I'm on antidepressants (which do help with controlling anger and outbursts), I still cry or want to cry. I try to get out of the way when I want to cry, because if I keep crying in front of people I'm scared I'm going to look weak or attention-seeking. I admit, I am weak. I am sensitive and thin-skinned.

Another thing is, this is another thing that holds me back from doing certain jobs, like dealing with people. I do understand people's frustration, but it doesn't mean I can tolerate it or deal with it properly. I fear confrontation, which is why I had a bad time when I used to work in retail. Some customers could be so nasty, and I know it wasn't personally, but I still couldn't control myself. I had the urge to cry, and then when my shift was over I would walk out of there feeling upset and depressed, then cry when I got home, or panic.

I know it is an anxiety thing. I do have an anxiety disorder, and I do have social anxiety. So certain behaviours and moods from people do affect me, and I think it makes me anxious, and maybe crying is my way of responding to some negative vibes from people. I am a nervous person, always will be. Does anyone else feel like you can't control yourself from wanting to cry when people are nasty to you? Do you feel that no matter how hard you try, you just can't stop letting it all get to you? Does the advice ''just let it ride over you'' or ''don't take any notice of them'' feel like a cliche to you?

I used to respond like this a lot. My understanding, at the time, was that if someone was upset or angry or annoyed with me I had done something wrong. I used to cry because I didn't want to do anything wrong, I often didn't know what I'd done wrong and knew even less about how to put things right. I could never stop the crying and it was a real probelm professionally.

Now I have a better understanding of how things tend to happen and this helps me with the whole situation. Once I understood that not every negative interaction was necessarily my fault my whole thinking began to change. I started to try to work out what was really going on whenever I had a difficult interaction. Then I would put the blame where it belonged - sometimes with me sometimes with the other person. At first I would still get upset even when it wasn't me - it was like an automatic reaction. But later this got less and less and now if I think I've not done anything wrong, or only part of an issue was my fault I don't get the same crying response. In doing this evaluation of each situation I am aware that I could be wrong but all I can reasonably go on is my best estimate, so I do and it works well.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2016, 6:51 am

I agree with Jo_B1. This helped me also. This crying response can relate to anxiety, low mood, and also lack of confidence or self-acceptance. The more I accept that yes, I'll make mistakes, no, it's not all my fault, and yes, I'm a confident person, the more this crying feeling has gone away. Just so you know, my diagnoses are GAD, OCD, and depression.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Aug 2016, 7:34 am

The thing that helped me when I worked with the public was to realize that we are only characters in a play. I'm the one with the smile and the other is the one that will act out any one of several roles (angry, happy, etc.). I have thought out my reaction to each and proceed accordingly. But there is no sincerity on my part. It would kill me to have people slapping me with their various vibes all day, every day.

No, you cannot grant them the same status as "real people" in your life. You would probably be giving better service if you know what they want and do it by rote, smile and all, but don't engage your own ego or soul. You are an actor, you can practice your various roles (responses to people) with somebody you trust. But the real you is not engaged. It's a game they pay you to play. btw it's the same with the dress code, it's all pretend. That's not really you at all, nor should it be.

Maybe watch the others with similar jobs, who do very well. Are they the same after work, when they're off-stage? Maybe you can see how they survive.

Here's a line my brother taught me: "I couldn't agree with you more." It takes the wind right out of complainant's sails. You become their ally. And go on about how that should not have happened to them, and you're going to do everything you can to put it right. All of which is true but it works well that way.

All my best to you,
Gratefully retired,