Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2009, 9:09 pm

Do you feel that a strict conscience is an AS trait? What I mean is, that we have less tolerance for injustice, corruption, and tactlessness in our presence. It bothers us more. We are more sensitive too it. It is magnified. My conscience beats the hell out of me. I don't like to see any human put in any uncomfortable situation. It makes me extremely uncomfortable. Even if it is just idiots embarrassing themselves on reality tv. How can these people's conscience allow them to do this? My conscience won't even let me watch it. Kind of like an exaggerated sense of empathy that is almost a disability. There are tv shows that I literally can't watch because they make me so uncomfortable. Anyone else feeling me?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 9:10 pm

mmm...sorta. I'm loose enough to try things, but strict enough to work not to get caught.

I do get to where I don't want to see bad things happen to people on the tube, etc.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 9:18 pm

blackelk wrote:
Do you feel that a strict conscience is an AS trait? What I mean is, that we have less tolerance for injustice, corruption, and tactlessness in our presence. It bothers us more. We are more sensitive too it. It is magnified. My conscience beats the hell out of me. I don't like to see any human put in any uncomfortable situation. It makes me extremely uncomfortable. Even if it is just idiots embarrassing themselves on reality tv. How can these people's conscience allow them to do this? My conscience won't even let me watch it. Kind of like an exaggerated sense of empathy that is almost a disability. There are tv shows that I literally can't watch because they make me so uncomfortable. Anyone else feeling me?

I had never thought of it in terms of "conscience", but I feel exactly the same, judging from what you said. The reality TV is a really good example, too. I can't bear to watch anything like that.

And it's interesting that you call it an exaggerated sense of empathy. I think you are right, but it's kind of interesting, since AS people are supposed to "lack empathy".

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 9:19 pm

My conscience is very strict. It's almost as though it has it's own 10 commandments even though I stopped going to church awhile ago.
I definitely do stand up against injustice more than people around me, it's almost like I am too boring or serious for them.

Sola
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2009, 9:43 pm

I understand where you are coming from. I am ruled by my conscience most of the time, too. I am starting to suspect, however, that I should not assume that many neurotypicals are similarly ruled. Why? Because it seems that they depend more on politics, manipulation, social hierarchies, smoozing, lies, etc....conscience doesn't seem to be 'top of the list' in their social dealings. I find this problematic, and a source of inner disturbances....because I treat others based on my conception of what is right and wrong, what would hurt and what would not hurt..... while they treat me on the basis of 'what is best for me opportunistically, egotistically, and selfishly. I think I make mistakes when I think a certain thing will hurt them, because it hurts me.....I think many neurotypicals have TOUGH SKINS.....when I deal with them, through my conscience, though, I continue to treat them sensitively, even if it has no effect or doesn't matter to them......I hate to have to realize this, because I try not to tramp on people, but they don't seem to mind tramping on me when it suits their desires. The Golden Rule as a conscientious aspie sees it must look different to the kind of Golden Rule seen by a neurotypical......A neurotypical's Golden Rule would be more 'practical and utilitarian' and less 'idealistic' than a conscientious aspie's,.....I'd think. For instance I think people should work toward being honest and kind AT THE SAME TIME, whereas neurotypicals I've known are more interested in *BEING PERCEIVED* as honest if the situation calls for it, not actually being honest. Neurotypicals that I know are more about 'appearances', fake though they may be.....it's like a game......fooling people.....whereas a conscience based Aspie would be interested in ACTUAL HONESTY AND KINDNESS.....because of respecting the dignity of others. Neurotypicals don't often respect another person's innate dignity.....they respect what they can get out of you, or what you can do for them.....or how they can control you....things like that. Justice is the furthest thing from their mind, I suspect..... If they hurt your feelings and they benefit from it.....they don't spend much time regretting hurting your feelings.....they just go on as if nothing ever happened. They don't try to make amends.....because THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU AS A PERSON. They are interested in power games.....and in that conscience isn't very useful.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2009, 9:52 pm

"conscience makes cowards of us all". I do feel that I am oppressed by it at least a little.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 9:55 pm

It's been a great surprise to me how little 'conscience' affects most people. :cry:

I always feel like god is watching. :oops:

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2009, 9:59 pm

Sola wrote:
I understand where you are coming from. I am ruled by my conscience most of the time, too. I am starting to suspect, however, that I should not assume that many neurotypicals are similarly ruled. Why? Because it seems that they depend more on politics, manipulation, social hierarchies, smoozing, lies, etc....conscience doesn't seem to be 'top of the list' in their social dealings. I find this problematic, and a source of inner disturbances....because I treat others based on my conception of what is right and wrong, what would hurt and what would not hurt..... while they treat me on the basis of 'what is best for me opportunistically, egotistically, and selfishly. I think I make mistakes when I think a certain thing will hurt them, because it hurts me.....I think many neurotypicals have TOUGH SKINS.....when I deal with them, through my conscience, though, I continue to treat them sensitively, even if it has no effect or doesn't matter to them......I hate to have to realize this, because I try not to tramp on people, but they don't seem to mind tramping on me when it suits their desires. The Golden Rule as a conscientious aspie sees it must look different to the kind of Golden Rule seen by a neurotypical......A neurotypical's Golden Rule would be more 'practical and utilitarian' and less 'idealistic' than a conscientious aspie's,.....I'd think. For instance I think people should work toward being honest and kind AT THE SAME TIME, whereas neurotypicals I've known are more interested in *BEING PERCEIVED* as honest if the situation calls for it, not actually being honest. Neurotypicals that I know are more about 'appearances', fake though they may be.....it's like a game......fooling people.....whereas a conscience based Aspie would be interested in ACTUAL HONESTY AND KINDNESS.....because of respecting the dignity of others. Neurotypicals don't often respect another person's innate dignity.....they respect what they can get out of you, or what you can do for them.....or how they can control you....things like that. Justice is the furthest thing from their mind, I suspect..... If they hurt your feelings and they benefit from it.....they don't spend much time regretting hurting your feelings.....they just go on as if nothing ever happened. They don't try to make amends.....because THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU AS A PERSON. They are interested in power games.....and in that conscience isn't very useful.

This is interesting. I feel that those who are drawn to power, who strive to put themselves in positions of authority, have the least strict conscience. They almost have to. It attracts those kind kind of people. People will strict consciences would have a tough time exerting authority over others. I don't want to be an authority figure because of this.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2009, 10:06 pm

Postperson wrote:
It's been a great surprise to me how little 'conscience' affects most people. :cry:

I always feel like god is watching. :oops:

Their conscience has to beat on something. That is what it is there for. To prod and lash you back into proper behavior. Our conscience beats the hell out of us; so it is satisfied, it doesnt need to beat on anybody else. We see empathy because we are so used to being beat on ourselves. By our own conscience. We don't like to see the same happen to others so it upsets us. People who's conscience doesn't beat them up or bother them have to project. The conscience still needs to feed. It needs an outlet. It needs to beat on something. So it beats on others.

/end freudian moment

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 10:38 pm

My conscience used to be very strict, but my life experiences in the past five years pretty much killed it. After all, why should I worry about doing what's morally right if I'm the only one doing it? For instance, I used to think that ending a friendship was wrong, but then I realized if spending time with the person is a source of stress, there's nothing wrong with being straight up about it. Now, I have no problems doing things I wouldn't think of doing five years ago. Don't get me wrong, I don't go around stealing and cheating, but my focus shifted from being morally right to socially and ethically right. Such as, if I slipped and fell in a McDonald's (and was able to get up with no injuries), I wouldn't file a frivolous lawsuit because it's a stupid thing to do and unnecessary hassle, not because of caring for some soulless corporation.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 10:52 pm

Sola wrote:

You make all NTs sound like borderline psychopaths.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 10:55 pm

My conscience can be a real pest sometimes, but I'm glad it's there. If I had no conscience, I'd be just another soulless sociopath, a monster. I'm always appalled/angered/disgusted when people flaunt their lack of conscience like it's the latest in fashion.

People are losing their souls. :cry:

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 10:56 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Sola wrote:

Some Aspies are borderline psychopaths.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Conscience?

"If the long-term benefits outweigh the short-term risks, then go for it!"

"If you can deal with someone doing to you what you are about to do to them, then go for it!"

"If it doesn't matter who finds out, then go for it!"
That's pretty much it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

Aspie1 wrote:
For instance, I used to think that ending a friendship was wrong....

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it, depending on how you end it. Of course, if you literally stab your ex-friend in the back, something's not quite right. If there's mutual disinterest, there's not much reason to keep pursuing it just for the sake of it.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2009, 11:01 pm

slowmutant wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

Some Aspies are borderline psychopaths.

I very much doubt this.