How do I turn my autism into a strength?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 3:40 pm

I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder at 3, which was in 1995. I don't know about my "official" level of functioning but I assumed on the higher-end level of the spectrum. Ever since I ended high school in 2011, my life has been mostly idle, no or little contact with peers or the outside world, no education courses, no job, and this is all for the past 5 or 6 years. I turn 25 soon.

So how do I turn my autism spectrum disorder into a success? What's the first step to begin, I'm feeling so overwhelmed and left behind.

Little OT disclaimer from now on: Most of my previous posts no longer reflect my opinions now, take them all with a grain of salt.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 3:46 pm

I'm glad you've come to this realization.

The best way to start is to enroll in a community college, or even a 4-year college. That would start you on your way.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 3:51 pm

What if I don't meet academic prerequisites for a 2 or 4 year college?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 4:14 pm

If you graduated high school, you automatically get accepted to community college.

You take placement tests to determine your ability in math and English. The results determine if you need to take remedial classes.

If you only got an IEP diploma, you can go for your GED.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 5:03 pm

What's making you skeptical?

If you don't have much income, you can get grants.

I hope I'm not being too insistent....but this is the best way to get ahead.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 7:19 pm

I didn't pass my PSAT high school completion test (I think PSAT is a Pennsylvania test). I don't know if you live in the US or not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 7:23 pm

I live in NYC.

Does this mean you don't have your high school diploma? If so, I'd go for the GED.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 7:44 pm

I do have a high school diploma, but I'd have to ask around what it was all about.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 7:47 pm

If you have a diploma, you can go to community college. Call the admissions office of your nearest community college. See what they say.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 7:52 pm

There are plenty of 4 year colleges which are also open enrollment. Where I teach, we even have a graduate program, but as long as you have a high school diploma or GED you can get admitted to the undergraduate program. As kraftie said, you have to take some placement tests to determine if you will need remediation or not. Even if you do, don't feel bad, something like 75% of the students that we admit have to take at least 1 remedial course.

Between grants, scholarships, and student loans, you should be able to get it paid for. The scholarship requirements where I teach aren't very high either. Did you ever take the ACT or SAT? If so, how did you score on it?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 9:22 pm

https://healthypossibilities.net/

Articles about achieving AS potential.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 9:45 pm

(This is more of a generic forum rant and not targetet at you specifically)

The main thing you should do, if you haven't already, is to stop having childish special interests like pokemon, anime and scifi/fantasy. You cannot make money on those. It is fine to have them as interests, but they take away focus from having a life.

Find a special interest that you can capitalise on, like programming, or car repair - an ACTUAL skill that people are willing to pay for.

If you do that, you will be better of that some of the "i'm never growing up" people on this forum. It is possible that some of the low functioning people here who say they never can have a job - actually can have a job and live an independent life with some aid, it's more a question of having the right mindset than having autism or not.

Everyone should at least TRY if they have the slightest ambition to have control over their life.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 2:48 am

You have got to figure out what your strengths are before you can use them. Some of these strenghts will be directly or indirectly caused by your autism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 4:23 am

I am in a similar situation but at 26 I am two years your senior. Over the past five years, I have been almost completely quiescent and I have passively allowed my interests - none of which were/are particularly intellectual - to monopolise my time.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 9:13 am

Ichinin wrote:
(This is more of a generic forum rant and not targetet at you specifically)

The main thing you should do, if you haven't already, is to stop having childish special interests like pokemon, anime and scifi/fantasy. You cannot make money on those. It is fine to have them as interests, but they take away focus from having a life.

Find a special interest that you can capitalise on, like programming, or car repair - an ACTUAL skill that people are willing to pay for.

If you do that, you will be better of that some of the "i'm never growing up" people on this forum. It is possible that some of the low functioning people here who say they never can have a job - actually can have a job and live an independent life with some aid, it's more a question of having the right mindset than having autism or not.

Everyone should at least TRY if they have the slightest ambition to have control over their life.

I'm speechless.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 9:14 am

It's possible that he might know better once he starts getting the ball rolling: applying to college.