called an "aspie" online how to reply(read description)

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

truck1214
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm

I have always been a little socially awkward and unsure if i have aspergers. (btw aspergers is not a disability in my book because it is an advantage because some of the smartest people have aspergers).

I was on eBay and i got blocked by a seller due to asking lots of questions. (one of my quirks). Then i went on the ebay forum and asked how to convince the seller to unblock me.

someone on the forum called me an "aspie"

even though it was last May it makes my blood boil!

how do I respond respond to that person?

also someone called them out and then they deleted that comment like a coward.

I am thinking of pming them and honestly telling them how i feel and that they were a coward.

-what would you do?

please no "just ignore it answers"

-thanks

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 7:55 pm

truck1214 wrote:

-thanks

OK, what categories of answers will you accept?

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:09 pm

I've never heard anyone use "aspie" as an insult before. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you think Asperger Syndrome has given you an advantage in life, then take it as a compliment. If the person is trying to insult you, they're probably so ignorant about Asperger Syndrome that they're not worth dealing with. Normally when I don't know what to reply to someone, I just don't. It was kinda rude of them to block you if you're asking legitimate questions about the product.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 8:28 pm

truck1214 wrote:
I have always been a little socially awkward and unsure if i have aspergers. (btw aspergers is not a disability in my book because it is an advantage because some of the smartest people have aspergers).

I was on eBay and i got blocked by a seller due to asking lots of questions. (one of my quirks). Then i went on the ebay forum and asked how to convince the seller to unblock me.

someone on the forum called me an "aspie"

I am thinking of pming them and honestly telling them how i feel and that they were a coward.

-what would you do?

-thanks

What all questions were you asking? Also a seller does not have to unblock you just because you appeal to be unblocked I am pretty sure. But really what was the nature of the questions? As I get the impression they like constructive feedback and for people to mention if something went wrong as far as paying or getting it shipped and will try and correct things if it was unsatisfying so were you raging at them? or just asking general questions/stating complaints with order?

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 10:00 pm

truck1214 wrote:

you don't. unless you want to make a fool of yourself

that was months ago, ffs. any response to it at this point will only show that you care way too much about the insult. which will only make the offender grin from ear to ear

truck1214
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2016, 10:50 pm

anagram wrote:
truck1214 wrote:

that was months ago, ffs. any response to it at this point will only show that you care way too much about the insult. which will only make the offender grin from ear to ear

just general questions. but you have to understand it was not the seller who called me that it was some stranger on the ebay forum

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 10:56 pm

truck1214 wrote:
anagram wrote:
truck1214 wrote:

just general questions. but you have to understand it was not the seller who called me that it was some stranger on the ebay forum

Even more reason to ignore it and not bring it up months later.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 11:10 pm

Why would you post to an "aspie" forum how insulted you are being called an aspie?
:scratch:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 1:46 am

I am not endorsing this response only describing how I would probably react. I would be sarcastic about it and tell the poster he or she is wasting thier genius ability to diagnose people based on a few posts on comment sections.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 1:51 am

I like AsPartOfMe's response!

John L
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Aug 2016, 2:05 am

truck1214 wrote:

Send them a message and tell them they're a coward.

It's an opportunity to learn, so why not take it. If you think that type of message might appeal to them, but then it doesn't, then you've learned something. If it does work, then you've learned something as well.

Think of it as a learning experience, but try not to get too emotionally involved. If you get overly emotional at some point, that's a warning telling you to step away and re-think the situation from an objective point of view. You make mistakes when you're emotional.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

14 Aug 2016, 3:43 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am not endorsing this response only describing how I would probably react. I would be sarcastic about it and tell the poster he or she is wasting thier genius ability to diagnose people based on a few posts on comment sections.

LOL, that is genius, may I use it in future??

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 6:41 am

What you should do is take it as a learning opportunity and in future don't ask so many questions. Instead take time to think about your questions and ask them in one go, trying to limit yourself to the most pertinent ones. Maybe get someone else to go over your proposed list and give their opinion on if they think the questions are relevant.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 7:50 am

anagram wrote:
truck1214 wrote:

^^This^^

Then, secondly, I would try to figure out why I care so much what some ignorant person said months ago. This seems to be *your* issue at this point.

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2016, 12:23 pm

If you call the man a coward, then he's likely going to become very angry with you. Whether he intended to insult you or not, you're just going to end up in a flame war if you contact him like that. It's not good to get into fights. It will just make you feel sick from stress. The best thing to do is to let it go. I'm not sure if that counts as "ignoring" or not, but it's important that you don't feed the fire.

It was also a very long time ago. He's not going to remember you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 1:00 pm

Were any of the general questions things you may have been able to find answers to on the item or sellers page? Like did you thoroughly read that first before asking questions? Also how many questions exactly was it like 5 or like 30?. One thing to consider is an ebay seller has multiple customers to sell to, they don't have time to answer question after question for one person, so not very considerate to message them too many. As they probably get other people they need to respond to as well, and they might be selling multiple items at once.

If I was an eBay seller I'd probably block someone if all they did was spam questions to whether it's their 'quirk' or not...especially since I'd include all the information I can on the page itself. I mean it's not up to them to decide for you if you want the item...if you're so unsure you need to ask a ton of questions maybe just don't buy the item, but don't interrogate the seller.