Page 2 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

twosheds
Raven
Raven

07 May 2007, 10:08 pm

There have been times in my life when my car was my favorite place to be in the world. It was an environment where I was in control of the scenery, the music, and the internal climate, and most importantly, I was guaranteed solitude for as long as I chose to stay on the road.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:25 pm

I don't like driving. I get lost, and I find it overwhelming and stressful to pay attention to all the important visual stimuli. Plus, people get impatient with me because I'm so hesitant, so I prefer to drive by myself when possible. I do prefer highway driving over any other kind though, because there's much less to pay attention to (no pedestrians, side streets, traffic lights, etc.). I didn't get my license till I was 19 (most people have it at 16 in the US), but I finally have it, and I'm glad I do because even though I don't enjoy driving, it would be tough to get along without it, especially when going between school and home. It's 5-6 hours by car- I can't imagine what it would be by bus.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 10:36 pm

I love driving, especially on dirt roads. I'm a purest, so I only drive manual gearboxes, and rear wheel drives if available. I am the guy my friends go to when they want to know the absolute limits of their cars. I am soon to be the lead driver for my friends racing team, and we are tossing around the idea of starting a rally team with an old, rear-wheel drive Celica or Cressida.

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 May 2007, 10:37 pm

I did really like driving alot but had to drive around areas I knew. I do get very easily lost, which becomes frightening and frustrating to me.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2007, 11:08 pm

Driving is the ultimate freedom! If you drive, it feels like the world has no hold on you. You can always pick up and go anywhere you want. When I was going through terrible postpartum depression, driving was the only thing that helped me regain my sanity. When it felt like I was jumping out of my skin, wanting to escape life, I would get in my car and drive and drive and drive. As the miles ticked away, so did my anxiety. By the time I came back home, I felt refreshed, until the next time. It's much better than having a fit of anger or rage, which has only negative effects. Driving has the potential to calm and soothe. If I didn't drive, I'm sure I would feel oppressed and as if I were a slave to the world. Since Aspies value their independence so much, driving seems like a necessity.

lkonantz
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2007, 11:12 pm

I love to drive. I find it relaxing after a 12 hour day at work during the summer. I miss driving when I'm at college because I don't have car. (My choice which I'm glad about.)

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:23 pm

I like to drive as much as possible on the highway between cities. I drive to class five days a week totaling over 330 miles. It's relaxing.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 May 2007, 11:26 pm

all i can think of is this song by my favorite band the deftones called "be quiet and drive"
it speaks just of hiow i feel most times when i am upset and need to get away fromo the world...how i will take my recorder and yell, cry, and talk into it with my music in the background probing my mind for infinite meaning and reasons to not drive away and never come back....when theres no reason to think of anything else in the world but the moment which we are in....thinking too much of anything will be the end of me...i know this now...i wish everything could be as simple as turning an ignition and driving far away........

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 11:31 pm

I love driving there have been times when I have driven all day and night. my Dad used to say I was a bit like "Toad of Toad Hall" from Wind in the Willows about my motor cars.
When I drive it is a place where my mind can crack problems. The same is true of cycling and even walking.
In my schooldays when when I had meltdown or just wound up to the point of a full on explosion I would bunk off and go walking trough the countryside all night.
When at university I could guarantee the best answers to an exam paper would come to me on the cycle or drive home.
Of course I can get a bit confused about where I am when I have just driven the past 10 miles with my mind away with the fairies and suddenly need to work out where I am. The Satnav is really handy<G>.
I'm even laid back about traffic, you just can't get anywhere faster than the car in front although my boss sometimes finds it a bit stressful when I have 20 minutes to get him to the airport (which is about 30 minutes away).

nb411
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 8:36 am

TruenoBlues wrote:
I love driving, especially on dirt roads. I'm a purest, so I only drive manual gearboxes, and rear wheel drives if available. I am the guy my friends go to when they want to know the absolute limits of their cars. I am soon to be the lead driver for my friends racing team, and we are tossing around the idea of starting a rally team with an old, rear-wheel drive Celica or Cressida.

Awesome man. I am a Toyota nut, and generally a car nut. I drive like a nutbag...well "spirited" haha. I am building up an old toyota soarer with a 2.5 twin turbo in it. Only for street though I may take it down the strip to see what quarters I can get. It WILL definately be in the 12second range 8O

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 8:52 am

I get around just fine with my feet; when they fail I’ll drag myself around with my paws.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 10:31 am

I love driving on my own when there's very little traffic. I can talk to myself and work out problems, listen to whatever music I want however loud I want. I find it very therapeutic.

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2007, 10:37 am

I like to, but I'm scared of wrecking. I mean, I have my license and I do drive, but the anal-retentive person inside of me is always yelling, "You're not doing this the right way! You're going to wreck! Your insurance is going to go up!"

motherofhim
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 May 2007, 10:38 am

My son is 17 and afraid to learn to drive. Can anything be done about this?

Demonic_Duck
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 May 2007, 10:39 am

I'm still learning, but I do quite enjoy the sensation of driving sometimes (until my instructor yells in my ear to slow down or whatever :P).

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2007, 10:40 am

motherofhim wrote:
My son is 17 and afraid to learn to drive. Can anything be done about this?

Don't pressure him. I'm 17 and I drive because I pressured myself, which I don't think is healthy. I'm always pushing myself to appear neurotypical.