Page 4 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 12:21 pm

motherofhim wrote:
scrulie wrote:
motherofhim wrote:
Once he gets his written permit, I will be able to get a driving school to show him how to drive, by a professional.

I hope that works to make him more at ease about driving.

I'm sure he'll develop confidence with more experience. I was very nervous for a long time but no probs now! :)

I love your sig line by the way.....

LOL thanks! :)

Spot17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2007, 12:39 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
I love your avatar, Spot17.

Thanks! I like your's too.

I tried the driving lesson thing in high school but never finished it. The instructor creeped me out and made me really uncomfortable so I stopped going. I got my license at 18 by going to the small town my grandmother lived in and taking the test there. Hardly anyone lives there and it was really easy. I tried taking it in Atlanta first, but failed because I left the parking brake on for the whole test and never realized it. :oops:

motherofhim
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 May 2007, 1:24 pm

Oh dear.....well, at least you finally got your permit and license. It is important for my son to learn to drive if he expects to go to college or anything.

It is very congested here. In fact, seeing so many accidents around here might have scared him off regarding driving.

Racer_J
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2007, 6:16 pm

Driving is great :D

I like practicing and getting better at stuff, and driving is the type of thing where there's always room for improvement (especially if you ride a motorcycle). And tons of fun of course.

On the other hand, it's sort of a bummer that so many other people drive around like they don't care about themselves or those around them.

methinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2007, 7:51 pm

I like to drive,as long as there is very little traffic.I find it very soothing,the steady movement,enclosed environment,and quiet rush of road noise is almost like "stimming".Traffic ruins it.

Shadowcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2007, 8:27 pm

:evil:

I had a bad expereince learning to drive.

I was taken to a Head Trauma Center by TRC (Texas rehabilitation center) in order to be tested to see what a knew about driving. I had passed the written test, but had little driving expereince.

My dad took the counselor's bad advice and acted like I was too stupid to learn to drive and didn't allow any of my boyfriends to teach me to drive, besides most guys just wanted to make out with me instead of teaching me how to drive. these guys didn't have Learning Disabilities. My dad wouldn't teach me because I made too many mistakes learning to drive, forgetting whatever I was taught my mom.

I was put on the dallas Freeway and expected to go aorund the block in rush hour lunchtime traffic. I stopped on the highway in order to change lanes and didn't act cautious (the teacher's words). He also told me he didn't have the qualifications to commit on someone being diagnosed with a brain disorder, so he couldn't give me his opinion on what was wrong with me. he also acted impatient whenever I scrwed up.

He was ready to retire by the time I was finished going around the block. he said that I would have to commute from Longview to Dallas every day in order to learn to drive.

This was when I was twenty-two and I am now thirty-seven with no driver's license.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 8:51 pm

Wolfpup wrote:
TruenoBlues wrote:

Ah, so you are also familiar with the scum known as the average Illinois driver.

:lol: I guess so!

hale_bopp wrote:
Quote:
I hate the risk you take every time you drive of hurting someone.

If you live like that you may as well lock yourself in a cupboard for the rest of your life... It's the same with just about anything.

I don't think so. I mean a slight screw up with a shopping cart might bump someone, but not cripple them for life (well...not 99.9% of the time). There's nothing else I do on a (near) daily basis that caries with it that much risk. I don't really think about it that much, but I do dislike that aspect.

For your information my Older sister had a serious accident involving a shopping cart when she was little. I was refering to things like cars and planes, biycles and travelling methods.

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 8:56 pm

I'd like to claim to be one of the local WP boyracers so to speak...:twisted:

I drive in any mood, sometimes up to 400km in a day just driving around aimlessly. Costs a fortune, my car is guzzly and pretty quick, and well...the statements 'drive like you stole it' and 'drive like you hate it' both apply. :lol:

Love my winding mountain passes. Love track days and grasskhanas. Love quartermile days and hillclimbs. :D My car is my life. Lol.

My boyfriend and I spend a huge amount of our time rarking it up since...well, he has one of the same *points at avatar* We're both competitive drivers and are both destined for racing in the near-ish future :D

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 9:02 pm

Shale wrote:
I'd like to claim to be one of the local WP boyracers so to speak...:twisted:

I drive in any mood, sometimes up to 400km in a day just driving around aimlessly. Costs a fortune, my car is guzzly and pretty quick, and well...the statements 'drive like you stole it' and 'drive like you hate it' both apply. :lol:

Love my winding mountain passes. Love track days and grasskhanas. Love quartermile days and hillclimbs. :D My car is my life. Lol.

My boyfriend and I spend a huge amount of our time rarking it up since...well, he has one of the same *points at avatar* We're both competitive drivers and are both destined for racing in the near-ish future :D

I will take you down one day, mark my words!

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 9:06 pm

First ya gotta catch meeeee ;)

Soon it'll be trying to catch the fastest NA Impreza in NZ with any luck :P Got 14 second non-STi?

RidgeRunner
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 May 2007, 11:24 pm

Driving is my stress relief. I unwind myself by unwinding a twisty road. :lol: I LOVE driving in the mountains...

But seriously... I love a good drive. And I too am a manual transmission purist. I was dead set on getting a little sports car recently, but I can't afford a Solstice, decided even a used MR2 Spyder was out of my price range, discovered I don't fit well in a Miata, and I needed something unquestionably reliable (rules out older stuff, even tho I'm handy I don't want to have to tinker with my main transportation) so I gave up for now and got myself something I could afford to drive all over the place - a single-cam Saturn that goes 40 miles per gallon.

Not long after I got it, a kid pulled out in front of me too close for me to miss. OMG DAMAGE CONTROL BRAKE TRY TO GO AROUND crunch.

Now I'm in automatic-transmission hell ('06 cobalt rental, not a bad car really) until my Saturn comes out of the body shop.

Maybe one of these days I'll get one of these:
http://www.stalkerv6.com/
I have a wicked mean idea for a motor build...

Shale
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 11:39 pm

x____x mang. I bloody hate autos. Feel sorry for ya. One of the few girls that will only ever drive something with a real clutch pedal here :P

I've had a few bumps and prangs too, but the 'preza doesn't want to show any signs of it. It's been reversed into and towbar-pranged several times by the tards that park around work too...nothing but paint chips. Part of the reason I now have STi brakes too I guess...idiots around require one to have a good stopping reaction and brakes to match. (mmmm, face-against-steering-wheel material)

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 11:44 pm

motherofhim wrote:
Driving can be all of the above; but it gives one independence and freedom. Is that the part of it that aspies are afraid of? That they have to haul their own load?

No, I seriously doubt it. At least not for me. That's the only part of it that I *LIKE*. I mean I'm very thankful I have a car, and it's basically necessary in many parts of the United States...but it's all the other things I mentioned that I hate about it.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 11:47 pm

hale_bopp wrote:

For your information my Older sister had a serious accident involving a shopping cart when she was little. I was refering to things like cars and planes, biycles and travelling methods.

I'm sorry to hear to that :( I guess that was a bad example. I just meant that driving a car there's always a relatively high risk or hurting someone or yourself, compared to just walking, etc.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2007, 11:55 pm

I hate the high gas prices because I love to go out and just drive around on the empty interstate at 2 in the morning. It's almost a ritual. I'm not sure it's entirely aspie though, my roommate does the same thing! I have to be careful about cops though, I like driving fast and the cops in Texas are very abusive late at night. I've never actually gotten a ticket before though although I have been pulled over for no reason while driving at night.

TruenoBlues
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:23 am

RidgeRunner wrote:
Driving is my stress relief. I unwind myself by unwinding a twisty road. :lol: I LOVE driving in the mountains...

But seriously... I love a good drive. And I too am a manual transmission purist. I was dead set on getting a little sports car recently, but I can't afford a Solstice, decided even a used MR2 Spyder was out of my price range, discovered I don't fit well in a Miata, and I needed something unquestionably reliable (rules out older stuff, even tho I'm handy I don't want to have to tinker with my main transportation) so I gave up for now and got myself something I could afford to drive all over the place - a single-cam Saturn that goes 40 miles per gallon.

Not long after I got it, a kid pulled out in front of me too close for me to miss. OMG DAMAGE CONTROL BRAKE TRY TO GO AROUND crunch.

Now I'm in automatic-transmission hell ('06 cobalt rental, not a bad car really) until my Saturn comes out of the body shop.

Maybe one of these days I'll get one of these:
http://www.stalkerv6.com/
I have a wicked mean idea for a motor build...

I feel your pain. My first car was a Saturn SC2, the DOHC coupe, with a 5-speed. It was sitting parked at my house when these two f***s in an SUV sideswiped her on October 1st. Frame destroyed. Well, actually it wasn't. We found that out from the class action lawsuit against the body shop and insurance company. But anyway, My parent's friend sold me her old Civic with a FOUR SPEED stick. I started hunting for an AE86. I had been searching since October, 2004, and gave up in late March, and was about to start hunting a Merkur XR4Ti (Ford Sierra). Then, May 1st, 2005, My friend Samir gives me a phone call: "Hey, Caleb, are you still looking for an AE86? Because my neighbor is willing to sell his." I have never seen the Civic move that fast! I was at his house in four minutes (he lives 7 minutes away in good traffic). So now I have my baby!