Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

higgie
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2016, 11:30 am

Hi, gang. Has anybody here found Asperger's Syndrome to be a hindrance in learning to drive? I passed the written test, but during driving lessons I couldn't make fast judgments, perceive distances between my car and others, and I was terribly anxious throughout. Whenever I got to an intersection it took me so long to figure out who had the right of way that my instructor had to tell me. (I understood it on paper but in real life I couldn't think of it fast enough.)

I also found driving unbearably boring, so boring that one day the combination of stress and boredom caused me to black out at the wheel. That's right -- I actually fainted for a second. The instructor had to hit the brake. I failed the road test three times and finally gave up on the whole thing. I was too afraid of causing an accident and of becoming a target of road rage. (I have a very hard time with being shouted at.) I felt I just didn't belong out on the road with other drivers. All through this whole thing, I never knew I had AS. I wasn't diagnosed until 2010.

It no longer matters because I can't afford a car anyway. It's sad, though, because I would've liked to become more independent and have greater mobility.

Do you think my lousy driving was related to my having AS? Has anybody else had this problem? Please discuss. Thanks.

Higgie

lisa_simpson
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2016, 11:57 am

I can relate to you. I passed the written test very easily. Driving lessons were good for me, but at the road tests it was different. I used to get very nervous and, back then, I didn't know I had AS. In fact, I'm not sure if I knew it existed at all. When I failed it for the fourth time, I thought to myself: "Who cares? I'm not going to pass the fifth, and there was someone who passed it at the eleventh time, so it's not so bad". (I don't remember if it was my family who told me about this person or if I watched it on TV). And that was my attitude at the fifth trial, so I was calmer, and I passed the test! So it's not so bad to have failed it three times, really!

Besides, I'm more of a road rage driver and I freak out when some driver does something wrong, maybe because of my inflexibility. But thanks to this inflexibility, I stick to everything I learned when I got my driver's license, and I don't care what other people say!

To sum up, if you can afford it in the future, go back to getting your driver's license. And remeber: No matter how many times you fail, you can always think about that person who passed the test at the eleventh time! :D

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 12:12 pm

It's more likely to be related to your gender ;)

:lol:

Can't say it caused me any problems; passed first time (was a lot easier back then though), done advanced driving, track driving, competitive driving...all sorts.

Driving just doesn't come as well to some people as it does others. Lots of people without AS struggle to drive. Having AS may add to the burden perhaps, depending on your specific symptoms, but it's not always going to be the sole cause.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 1:10 pm

Do you have any experience with cars side of the lessons?
I personally don't have any problem reading the situations on road because we had a car since I were a kid and even before that I traveled a lot by bus so I don't really have to think who has the priority - I just know. Both bike driving lessons in 4th grade and getting driving license lessons were just explanations of what I already observed and they sold me not much new.
However my mom - NT, driver since 20 years - often asks me who has the priority on a crossroad. She just can't figure out the "right hand rule" unless it's on paper. So its possible you have this problem too.

Also your anxiety slows you down. It's common for new drivers to be scared of driving (I am one too - I got my driving license on 3rd try 7 years ago and I only drove about 200kms since then because I avoid driving whenever anybody else can drive instead of me) and anxiety really does bad stuff to the brain abilities. How about you try taking some medicine to calm you down before the lessons? Most of them actually say you can't drive when on them but you might find some without that restriction or take a very small dose - I took 2 drops of valerian instead of suggested 10-50 when I had to drive all by myself first a few times after getting my license because I figured potential side effects (which I am not prone to, even alcohol doesn't do much to me) are less dangerous than the shaking hands and blurry mind I had because of anxiety. And it ended up just fine. It might have work as placebo effect because the dose was indeed very small but I were more calm and could focus better.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 1:33 pm

Yes, I think a lot of Aspies have issues driving. There is a big social part to safe driving that is hard for Aspies to pick up on.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 1:38 pm

I cannot drive to save my life,

tanq
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2016, 4:56 pm

I failed my first driving test. My dad let me practice driving a lot. Fortunately, it was in a small town so I didn't have the added stress of big city traffic. I passed my second test. I became a very good driver and was very efficient at making deliveries. You just need lots more practice so you can recognize situations more quickly and be less nervous.

There is still one issue that causes problems from time to time. If I am talking or thinking about something besides where I'm going I will forget where I am and miss my turn and end up miles away from where I intended to go.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Sep 2016, 5:23 pm

Too much anxiety to drive, for myself doing something wrong or the other drivers. I'm sure I could pass the written test easily but on the road would be something else, the traffic here is unreal and overwhelming just walking or riding as a passenger. It really is debilitating but I don't know if I could ever change.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2016, 6:25 pm

The first time I drove was in a 6-cylinder car, with a parent. I went around a (gentle) curve, but it was such an unnerving feeling of the car's speed and control out of my power that I gave up for a year or two. Eventually my parents sold the car and I found an old 4-cylinder Volvo that had no-place it needed to go fast. It was a much more comfortable way to drive.

Driving on the highway or high-traffic areas (including parking lots) is still very tiring and stressful. Fortunately I spend very little time in those situations. I'm sure it's stressful for everyone though.

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2016, 12:16 am

I really like driving and riding a motorcycle. I like machines.
I was very anxious when I was learning to drive back when i was 12 but after I got used to it I really enjoyed it. It helped to learn to drive somewhere not stressful (on a farm). I imagine very quiet streets and driving schools are good for you to get used to the car itself.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 2:43 am

Been driving for 15 years. Still only like to drive where I know though. Having satnav is a lifesaver!

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2016, 3:11 am

Probably the biggest regret of my life was not being able to drive. Because of it I've had to depend on other people which made me feel like an inconvenience. I did try and even had lessons more than once but was never able to 'get it' because there was just too much going on. Now that I'm 60+ years old it doesn't matter much anymore but it sure would have made my life easier and less complicated had I been able to drive.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2016, 3:40 am

I drive but I don't enjoy it. My reactions are slow to respond especially at roundabouts. I know in my mind what I need to do, but translating that into physical action takes time and so I panic at roundabouts.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 3:51 am

I barely passed drivers ed and I was very nervous during the driving test, but I managed to pass and now I'm pretty good at driving. I am sometimes quite nervous when I am on unfamiliar roads, but most of the time I drive I take roads that I've been on many times.

My biggest hinderence was (and still is) the fact that I suck at telling which way is right and which way is left. I have seriously considered putting a sticker or something in my car that says which way is right and left because for me that would be helpful. It takes me a few seconds to remember which way is which and I am still sometimes wrong, so this has caused me to make many wrong turns. My right/left differentiation has improved a bit since I learned to drive, but it's still pretty bad.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 4:25 am

davidmcg wrote:
I drive but I don't enjoy it. My reactions are slow to respond especially at roundabouts. I know in my mind what I need to do, but translating that into physical action takes time and so I panic at roundabouts.

Roundabouts? How about regular crossroads?
Roundabouts are pretty easy. The traffic there is slow and you only have to watch one direction. And even if you mess up the other car can stop immediately.
For me the biggest trouble (aside parking lots, which are hell) are left turns on regular crossroads. You have to watch 2 or more ways and most cars moves fast so you can't afford to make a mistake.
If there is a left turn on my way I usually make some mental gymnastics and find a different way with some right turns and a roundabout instead of getting into that mess. And to be honest I often end up faster this way - there were times when I met the car that was right in front of me before... giving me priority on the roundabout now, where I got by doing 3 right turns instead of 1 left turn.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 4:34 am

recognizing my cognitive and energy limitations, I limit my driving to times of minimum traffic, generally on the weekends. also I avoid driving at night.