Daughter is obsessed with a particular cartoon character

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Mybabybug
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm

My 18yo daughter is severely obsessed with "Cat Noir"

So far, my daughter has been obsessed with the Cat Noir from a cartoon called Miraculous Ladybug. She looks at pictures of Cat Noir all day, googles Cat Noir pictures, browses for Miraculous fanart on Deviantart, has Cat Noir pictures on her iPad and on her computer in her life unit class, watches Miraculous/Angry Birds Movie/Adventure Time video for hours, and draws Cat Noir constantly. She is also obsessed with Red and Terrance from The Angry Birds Movie. She was like that with Harvey Beaks, Jestro from Lego Nexo Knights, the Fire Princess from Adventure Time, Ice Bear from Three Bears, the Rabbids, Phoebe from The Thundermans, Uncle Grandpa, and for the longest time, Pikachu. She also listens to Linkin Park "Numb" over and over, and watches the Angry Birds Movie or Secret Life of Pets trailer almost a couple times a day. There is also a girl in her life unit class that is obsessed with Sans from Undertale, formerly obsessing over Superman and Derpy Hooves. Is this normal?

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 10:15 pm

I do know a few others on the spectrum that do the same thing, myself included.

My special interests have always been things like fictional characters ever since I was little, and some of them are still even with me to this day.

So, yeah. I'd say it's normal.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 10:18 pm

I'm obsessed with Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes and I like to fly my freak flag by wearing a German helmet that I've painted a mesmerizing shade of metallic blue. As long as she's happy, that's all that matters.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 10:37 pm

I had a lot of obsessions over the years, I was obsessed with Charlie Brown, National Velvet (The TV series), Tom and Jerry, Road Runner, with National Velvet I wanted to be called Velvet, The Brady Bunch.

the ones that stayed with me are Cats, Big Cats like Lions, Tigers.

I also was Obsessed with ABBA I still like them and try and get any book that comes out of them and I have pictures of them in frames around the place.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 9:08 am

Your daughter sounds a lot like me. I have always been obsessed with different characters. When I was 18, it was cartoon characters too and the show Glee. My Doctor Who obsession started then as well. I also watch and repeat certain videos and songs over and over.

Secretalien
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2016, 10:19 am

"Normal" is subjective. :)

I think the better question is "how does it impact her life and wellbeing?" If it makes her happy, and she's still able to do her schoolwork and whatever else she needs to do, then I don't think it really matters if it's normal. On the other hand, if she's failing her classes because she's too busy watching cartoons to study, then that's something you should be concerned about.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 10:44 am

TheSilentOne wrote:
I also watch and repeat certain videos and songs over and over.

I'm the exact same way.

I've also heard somewhere that this is possibly a trait for some female Aspies, (although there could still be some males that do the exact same thing).

I personally just like the escapism it gives me, just like how a good book can.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 12:41 pm

I've also been obsessed with characters my whole life. I don't see anything wrong with using that for self-expression.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 4:02 pm

Do some people NOT do this? Seems like a good day to me!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 4:19 pm

Yeah, I think it's totally normal----for US, anyway.

Even though he's not a cartoon character, I was obsessed with Harry Potter for about 15 years after he came-out----I STILL could talk and talk about him, and I'm in my 50s.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

10 Sep 2016, 5:58 pm

I was obsessed with hello kitty at some point. I would look at hello kitty pictures all day long, scouring the net for all information on hello kitty - I would also obsessively browse the sanrio shop website, and basically digitally window shop.

I was also obsessed with an anime character called Light Yagami.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 7:16 pm

Every once in a while, I get obsessed with something cool and age appropriate. But usually, its something totally embarrassing. Right now, its Once Upon A Time. I've spent countless hours watching it. Its just me and the little girls liking this stuff. I swear I'm not a pervert. I'm just autistic and happy with this for now. But I do look forward to the day when this obsession wanes and I go back to obsessing about Star Trek. At least, with that, people just blow me off as a steriotypical Gen X geek.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:53 am

Pretty typical. I'm obsessed with Lord of the Rings Online and more specifically with my Hobbit character I created.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 2:35 am

Mybabybug wrote:
My 18yo daughter is severely obsessed with "Cat Noir"

So far, my daughter has been obsessed with the Cat Noir from a cartoon called Miraculous Ladybug. She looks at pictures of Cat Noir all day, googles Cat Noir pictures, browses for Miraculous fanart on Deviantart, has Cat Noir pictures on her iPad and on her computer in her life unit class, watches Miraculous/Angry Birds Movie/Adventure Time video for hours, and draws Cat Noir constantly. She is also obsessed with Red and Terrance from The Angry Birds Movie. She was like that with Harvey Beaks, Jestro from Lego Nexo Knights, the Fire Princess from Adventure Time, Ice Bear from Three Bears, the Rabbids, Phoebe from The Thundermans, Uncle Grandpa, and for the longest time, Pikachu. She also listens to Linkin Park "Numb" over and over, and watches the Angry Birds Movie or Secret Life of Pets trailer almost a couple times a day. There is also a girl in her life unit class that is obsessed with Sans from Undertale, formerly obsessing over Superman and Derpy Hooves. Is this normal?

Special interests are a spectrum characteristic.

I have AS and I will become very interested in a particular subject such that I will learn a significant amount of information about it in a very short period of time. Some subjects are long running interests, that I will put aside for a while, but then come back to, and some are transient, and I don't revisit them after I am content that I have answered all of my questions concerning the subject.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 4:00 am

Yeah, this happened with me too.

I developed an obsession with the character Bridget from a game called Guilty Gear, a good number of years ago. It led to some of the usual sorts of things... I have pictures and multiple figures of the character, for instance... but it also led me to places I never could have expected. I started to do a cosplay of the character (if you dont know what that is, it's the act of dressing up as any specific character, typically while at an anime convention or something like that) which furthered that connection. But as this required going to anime conventions to do, I started doing that... and that changed so very much. Up until that point, I'd never traveled on my own, really. That first convention was my first time heading off to a hotel on my own without my family, and it was a very new experience. Later that year I went out of state (to Iowa, coming from Illinois) on my own for the first time; that first time was a trip by bus, but that specific convention has become a yearly thing, and I now drive out to Coralville, Iowa, each time for that particular event. Various other conventions take place in assorted places in Illinois or Wisconsin. I started to gain a real appreciation for travelling because of this, and became a heck of alot more comfortable going places on my own. These days, if I get bored enough, I'll even do things like go find random country roads I've never seen before, and drive down them just to see where they go, and then maybe find more roads and go down THOSE to see where they might lead. I never would have been bold enough to do that before all this started, but all of that travelling showed me that new places could be really interesting.

This also led to me gaining the confidence to really be myself instead of always trying to fit in, in ways that I never actually wanted to (yet would of course do anyway, because society said so). This came as a result of doing the cosplay bit... the outfit is a strange one, and not exactly something a male would normally wear, but I didnt give a crap and wanted to do it anyway. Much to my surprise, people liked it instead of laughing at me. Turns out that sort of thing suits me. With that, I started to get more and more confident to just be myself instead of trying to be something that I just am not. Even my day-to-day appearance has changed as a result of this, and I no longer loathe the way I look. Usually.

And lastly, various events that occurred as a result of all of this led to me meeting new people... and more importantly, making LASTING friends that I've now known for years. And I mean REAL friends, the sort that completely accept me for who I am, and who also can deal with my autistic tendencies (for example, they *never* push me to be social when I dont want to, because they know I dont like that... but if I want to join in an event, they never exclude me, either).

It all really led me to places I never could have expected. And that's just that obsession. Or "special interest" as we often call these. I have others... video games in general, and game design, THAT recently took me through some very interesting experiences, where I learned quite alot and finally got to ACCOMPLISH something. Or my interest in "twisty puzzles"... think something like a Rubik's Cube, except much, much crazier (a normal Rubik's Cube is very easy to me, now). I have like 120+ different puzzles now, and they give me something to do that engages my mind while NOT being related to this blasted computer. So that special interest also has a use (and my family finds that one particularly interesting, they like that it gets me away from the PC, and they also just find it neat that I can solve such things and think that the puzzles are interesting to see).

All in all, it really just shows that you never know where something like this can take you. We can latch onto basically anything as an obsession (it's not always something like characters from TV or games, it could be something like, say, vacuum cleaners for instance, and that's not one I'm making up, I recall reading a story about someone with Asperger's that had that particular obsession). There's all sorts of interests.

And as long as it's not causing bad things in the person's life, I've always thought there's no harm in it. Particularly if it ends up causing unexpected good things, as mine did.

Plenty of people might think stuff like this is weird, sure. But the way I see it, the usual definition of "normal" is boring. I'm not interested in being "normal". I, personally, will stick with "weird", thanks. It's so much more interesting...