Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2016, 10:24 pm

I think everyone with autism/aspergers thought about it at least one time

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 3:50 am

I think about it. But I have too strong of a survival instinct to go through with it.

There are times I wish I simply had never been born.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 6:02 am

I have not been diagnosed but have had suicidal thoughts from the age of 17 and attempted it numerous times. I feel like my brain is broken or I wasn't given the skills to cope with the world. It feels like I missed out on a special class in school that teaches kids life skills or that mum didn't teach me things that other parents teach their kids.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2016, 6:14 am

Yes, a few times. But it was not due to autism. It was during prolonged periods of severe pain from injury.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 6:26 am

I volunteered as a Samaritan listener until a few months ago. They are a fantastic organisation who are there to offer emotional support to people suffering distress and despair. they support people wherever they are in the world.

if you are every feeling like it again, what's the harm in just trying to talk to someone? text, phone or e_mail.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2016, 6:36 am

I think about it several times a day, every day.

I have contacted Dignitas in Switzerland, they say they don't assist people who are healthy, but don't specify whether that means physical health only. People who are mentally ill aren't helped because they're not deemed to be of sound mind. I have no idea where autistics would fit :?

I only remain alive because of my kids. Once they're up and grown, I'll be outta here. I can't risk getting old and sick. Having the NTs looking after me fills me with horror. I've been on the receiving end of them my entire life and don't plan on ever having them being in a position of authority over me any more.

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2016, 6:51 am

I don't actively think of suicide, even though my life is pretty pointless. However in the back of my mind suicide always lurks as an opt out solution, that I could fall back on if I ever did reach a point in my life where I simply couldn't see any point in continuing, perhaps as a result of some medical condition that might in future make my life unbearable.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2016, 7:08 am

Biscuitman wrote:
I volunteered as a Samaritan listener until a few months ago. They are a fantastic organisation who are there to offer emotional support to people suffering distress and despair. they support people wherever they are in the world.

if you are every feeling like it again, what's the harm in just trying to talk to someone? text, phone or e_mail.

Good on you. 8)

aviva
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Sep 2016, 7:38 am

Yes, I have been thinking it regularly almost for years and before that occasionally. I have also been diagnosed with several depression and had lots of difficulties in my life that are hard or impossible to help and that affect my mood.

It would make it easier to live and cope with all the problems if I knew there is an exit in case I lost all hope. I have tried to find a suitable way to do it; painless, quick and foolproof, but have not succeed, I only have plans that probably wouldn't work. I fear pain too much, and I don't want to fail and leave myself in worse condition than I was.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 7:40 am

It used to be uncommon for me to not be thinking about it. It's a very rare preoccupation now though. I found it helpful to find exceptions to absolutes.

It is almost never the case that everything is pointless, nothing works, etc.. Maybe a lot of things are pointless and almost nothing works, some days, but that means some things are meaningful and some things will work. You may not even find the examples the same day you look, but they're out there and worth finding.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 9:18 am

It has been a pervasive thought on my mind now for over 5 years. My existence seems rather futile as I cannot interact adequately with my fellow human beings and I do not have the brain power to succeed academically, thus life is somewhat meaningless to me.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2016, 9:20 am

Why yes, I drew the short end of a stick and feel I have not received the life that would be best for those closest to me and myself deserve.

I snicker seeing the absurdly happy ones clueless of what they are missing.

-Johnnyh

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 10:14 am

I always think about it. It feels like I can't help it. I get so stressed out and sometimes think it is the only way out. I just don't want to upset my family so that usually stops the thoughts. I attempted for the first time when I was 11 and continued to attempt up until a few months ago. It has been two months since my last attempt. Overall, I have been feeling better lately.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 11:20 am

So is it an autistic symptom? Is it the comorbids that cause it? Or is it just that people are different?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 12:38 pm

I'll admit that it's crossed my mind a time or two, but it's not really a problem.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 12:50 pm

I've though a lot about suicide since my good friend took her life 15 months ago. We both suffered from depression most of out lives. She went for one last hike, crawled into a stream, and took an overdose of Benadryl. I have pondered doing the same on numerous occasions for months.

But I keep moving forward because I made the decision to survive for the both of us.

Oscar Meyer Lansky