Spoof Study Claimed 92% Of Convicted Murderers on Spectrum

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2015, 11:19 pm

http://witscience.org/new-study-shows-9 ... -syndrome/

Here is the link. I don't know what's more scary, the article itself, or the fact that it's on a university web page.
(Wyoming Institute of Technology)

Moderator note:
Title edited by moderator

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 11:27 pm

Wyoming Institute of Technology Aspergers Article Is a Spoof

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

emax10000
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Mar 2015, 11:31 pm

This tie4s directly into what I was saying on this thread however: viewtopic.php?t=277747 because there really WERE commentators suggesting that with demons like Adam Lanza or Elliot Roger, their Asperger's made it inevitable that they did what they did and some of them seemed to think their Asperger's meant society should be lenient and soft on them over the murders they committed. Adam Lanza's mother in particular seemed to be trying to convince others they should go easy on Lanza and see him as a sort of cultural and societal victim.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2015, 11:56 pm

Well that explains...

No wonder I like to lure people in the wilderness in Runescape and kill them and take their loot. It's because I have Aspergers. I feel enlightened

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 1:14 am

I'm part of the 8% who have never been convicted, yay me! :cheers:

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 1:51 am

In its October 2014 issue, the magazine Esquire published this very interesting article on what motivates young male "mass shooters" and it is refreshing to note hat the "a" words (autism, aspergers) are completely absent from this thoughtful study:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a3 ... ters-1014/

traven
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 2:11 am

Looks like the 'smokers-statistics', every smoker dies from smoking, hiding in that way the other factors from pollution, exposure to toxics at work, medication, etc

milksnake
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2015, 2:18 am

RoadRatt wrote:
I'm part of the 8% who have never been convicted, yay me! :cheers:

so where do you hide em?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 3:09 am

layla87 wrote:
http://witscience.org/new-study-shows-92-convicted-murderers-suffer-aspergers-syndrome/

Here is the link. I don't know what's more scary, the article itself, or the fact that it's on a university web page.

The article is fake. There is no such research, nor has it been submitted to the journal for peer-review. The writers may think that it's a funny satirical piece but it's actually quite dangerous.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 3:10 am

I think it would have been a good April fool's joke but too bad he submitted it too soon.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Welsh_Wolf2015
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Mar 2015, 3:20 am

I continue to find myself baffled by the crap some people come up with.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 4:08 am

Jono wrote:
layla87 wrote:
http://witscience.org/new-study-shows-92-convicted-murderers-suffer-aspergers-syndrome/

The article is fake. There is no such research, nor has it been submitted to the journal for peer-review. The writers may think that it's a funny satirical piece but it's actually quite dangerous.

It's nasty not funny to me.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 1:20 pm

That's why I don't like telling people I have Asperger's. All this scary stuff about us being murderers is making people look at Aspies in a totally different light, and I don't want people to think that I might lash out and murder them. That is why I do not want to ever tell my boyfriend about it. I know he will find out I have something because of my quirks, but I could just tie a bunch of other disorders together, like ADHD coupled with anxiety disorder or post traumatic stress disorder or anything like that. But I am never, ever, ever disclosing Asperger's.

Right, now I'm going to go to my freezer where my collection of decapitated human heads are kept...

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 2:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
That's why I don't like telling people I have Asperger's. All this scary stuff about us being murderers is making people look at Aspies in a totally different light, and I don't want people to think that I might lash out and murder them. That is why I do not want to ever tell my boyfriend about it. I know he will find out I have something because of my quirks, but I could just tie a bunch of other disorders together, like ADHD coupled with anxiety disorder or post traumatic stress disorder or anything like that. But I am never, ever, ever disclosing Asperger's.

Right, now I'm going to go to my freezer where my collection of decapitated human heads are kept...

I wouldn't go so far as to not tell your boyfriend about it. This is the same kind of inaccurate information and stigma that happens to all sorts of psychiatric disorders, not just ASD. Besides, your boyfriend needs to know about it and I'm guessing that you would want to be able to trust him. What I would do is tell him but also give him some resources on AS that you can trust.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2015, 3:31 pm

Studies like these like to redefine the meaning of murder so they can twist the statistics to prove their point.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 3:42 pm

Orangez wrote:
Studies like these like to redefine the meaning of murder so they can twist the statistics to prove their point.

Please read the whole thread before commenting. It's all a hoax, someone's idea of satire. It's not a real study, it was made up.

The same website wrote articles about how solar panels "drain the Sun" and how women on the pill are more at risk of STD infection. Both of them are ridiculous claims.