Can one be hyperlexic without being autistic?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2007, 1:21 pm

That would explain so much about me. I was diagnosed with Aspergers as a little girl, but it just doesn't seem to truly "fit." I have nothing against those with the condition. My partner is clearly an Aspergian, and I love him dearly. It's just that I don't seem to be on the autistic spectrum at all. I'm an anal-retentive persona, I have exaggerated gestures, I sometimes make poor eye contact when surprised, I don't like my world being changed, I like to have leadership positions, and I like fantasy.

That's it. I'm not sure how I earned my diagnosis in my younger years.

I taught myself to walk and talk before turning 3 months old, and I was born prematurely! When I was 2 years, I lectured other toddlers at a day care center for not matching their colors correctly. The adults began talking about me, and the next thing I knew, I was sent to the preschool. I have always stayed ahead in school. Besides, the preschool was simply much more fun than that crowded daycare was. They had a play castle inside, so I pretended to be in charge of it.

To return to my original question, is it possible for one to be hyperlexic without being autistic in any form? I have not been officially diagnosed with hyperlexia, but it seems to me that this would explain all of my questions.

Note Bene -
I would appreciate a straight answer. I have asked this question before, though not here, and received only very vague replies that solved nothing.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 1:29 pm

Yes. 8)

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 1:30 pm

Yes. 8)

A spectrum implies continuity across variety. You may be on the far end or somewhere allied.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 1:31 pm

Yes you can.

And all those things you listed as being Aspie, that you are not... can and do appear in aspergerians.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 1:40 pm

Yes. It's commonly associated with an ASD, but it doesn't have to be.

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2007, 1:55 pm

Sources?

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 2:00 pm

Main Entry: hy·per·lex·ia
Pronunciation: -'lek-sE-&
Function: noun
: precocious reading ability accompanied by difficulties in acquiring language and social skills —hy·per·lex·ic /-sik/ adjective

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2007, 2:03 pm

Sources beyond a definition of the word. Is there anything published about hyperlexia not necessarily being "comorbid" with Asperger's? If so, where? I cannot seem to locate anything worth reading on the subject, or anything that could be used as proof of my theory.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 2:08 pm

Prudence wrote:
Sources beyond a definition of the word. Is there anything published about hyperlexia not necessarily being "comorbid" with Asperger's? If so, where? I cannot seem to locate anything worth reading on the subject, or anything that could be used as proof of my theory.

The fact that you absolutely need concrete evidence in an orderly textbook fashion points to the idea that yes, you do indeed have AS. Quite the textbook case in all honesty.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 3:11 pm

All you need to do is google hyperlexia to find stuff about it and the various opinions about it.

Here: http://www.hyperlexia.org/

Among various article, look a "PEACFUL COEXISTENCE: Autism, Asperger's, Hyperlexia" which explains that hypelexia can be comorbid with disorders other than those on the autism spectrum.

Please also read the list of symptoms they have there. It would seem you're somewhat confused over what is hyperlexia and what is an ASD. By "leadership positions" I assume you prefer to boss other people around, like demanding a straight answer from a group of strangers, rather than employing more subtle social skills like cooperation, delegation and compromise - that is typical ASD, not hyperlexia, which is about language acquisition and not social skills (or a lack thereof).

Hyprlexia is a rather controversial dx anyhow, and people are of various opinions on it. Furthermore, it's a very complex subject. So I don't think you'll get the "straight" answer you're demanding.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 3:49 pm

You think hyperlexia is your ONLY "problem"??????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And pigs are dancing in the streets acting out the sound of music! :lol:

SOMETHING is odd, You DO sound a bit like you could be AS!

Steve

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2007, 8:03 pm

agentcyclosarin wrote:
Prudence wrote:

The fact that you absolutely need concrete evidence in an orderly textbook fashion points to the idea that yes, you do indeed have AS. Quite the textbook case in all honesty.

I hate the sound of that. I can't be diagnosed based on one simple personality trait.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 8:14 pm

Prudence wrote:
agentcyclosarin wrote:
Prudence wrote:

I hate the sound of that. I can't be diagnosed based on one simple personality trait.

ACTUALLY, SEVERAL! Even those that are counter to AS sound suspiciously extreme, and like overcompensating.

Steve

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 8:17 pm

I have some traits that could fit with hyperlexia. Although English was my second language, I was reading at fifth grade level in first grade and scored at the twelfth grade level in sixth grade. I also learned Spanish quickly in high school. I was a real grammar geek. Conjugating verbs was fun for me, because it was like doing word game puzzles, which I also enjoy.

Prudence
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2007, 8:18 pm

SteveK wrote:
Prudence wrote:
agentcyclosarin wrote:
Prudence wrote:

ACTUALLY, SEVERAL! Even those that are counter to AS sound suspiciously extreme, and like overcompensating.

Many people in the world have similar personality traits to mine, and yet they are neurotypical. Besides, I don't overcompensate. I think you used the wrong word.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2007, 8:35 pm

You seem to be honing in on some posts that you can pick apart. Why not just look at the subject a little more objectively? Cade offered some great information, in fact, beat me to the punch as I would have suggested the same site.
Some people believe that Hyperlexia is a stand alone dx, some think it's a special subset of ASD and some think it's just a variation of ASD. What's the point?
Someone posted the definition and you were not very gracious about it, asking for sources that would support your particular theory. Well, sorry, but that's what is out there. I did a similar search last year. After all was said and done, it doesn't change my son's needs or help to know that Hyperlexia affects some people.
I really don't know what else you want, besides some source that says you're not "one of us".
[/gooblegobble]