Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2016, 10:16 pm

I spent my school years in the most extreme social isolation you can imagine

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 4:10 am

Luckily for me social isolation is not a problem , I actively seek it. Maybe I'm a grumpy old man but I find most people manipulative , self-centered, selfish vampires - they drain my life force

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2016, 5:19 am

No friends. Had a few but turned out to be sociopaths (that's probably the reason they stuck around, saw me as weak - I didn't know I was different, they kept me in the dark to it).
I find women don't want to get to know me, they want sex.
Men are jealous of me, or can't handle the fact that I'm not mainstream common male (sports, having sex with any girl that offers it, drinking alcohol).

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 5:41 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Luckily for me social isolation is not a problem , I actively seek it. Maybe I'm a grumpy old man but I find most people manipulative , self-centered, selfish vampires - they drain my life force

I can relate to this, but the main reason I personally seek social isolation is just to gather up my thoughts after a potentially exhausting day spent socializing. I think of it as a means of relaxation.

Moriath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Sep 2016, 5:51 am

No friends to talk off. A few work colleagues. But i find that i want friends but when i get them for short periods the novelty wears off and i feel claustrophobic. So cant win. Now at 43 think i just given up. Wife has friends she goes to visit. I just stay at home.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2016, 6:44 am

My social isolation isn't bad at all, I actively sought it, it is of my own choosing.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2016, 7:08 am

Most NT's aren't really close to their friends.
They mostly gossip to them. Sometimes are only drinking buddies or sports events buddies. Rarely deeper than that. And they only see each other sporadically.
They also can treat their own family in this way.

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Sep 2016, 8:14 am

i only have one friend that i can still make contact few times a month, but im too shy to go to his house, and like 3 i make contact online. i realize that i might be bisexual(a minority of a minority) but if i told this in public, my life would be ruined.probably i would be kicked of house. My father is a redneck, my mother too, they just talk out loud and they dont know very well how to keep secrets .im not confident enough to talk with skype or online games because of paranoia of the people im talking to notice some strange behavior or words or way of talking, record, put it online and make a meme on youtube or something, and starts cyberbullying. i dont think this is schizophrenia, it just, i have sense of how weird I am and of the consequences of talking to someone on the internet. It is really a lottery. I go out few times a month in an environment in public and it is difficult to behave. I disguise sigh with deep breaths. i dont look 98% of the people in the eyes, because I do not have the motor skills and emotional balance to walk, look someone in the eye and have no emotional control? So I just choose not to. Its strange that i have nauseas of social contact and sex, so people in general see me when i rarely go to the street, with that mistrustful eyes. i play videogames all day, dont study, i try to read books but i can only read a few pages because my attention is terrible. im overly sensible to many sounds like barks, whistles, people laughing too loud, suddenly high noises. so yeah... i think my social isolation is bad :lol: . i wish i had a few friends and a girlfriend to have some fun sometimes, but in the society we live, who would have interest, in someone who dont have a job, and no vision of future, no money, a tramp basically? nobody, i guess. i didnt have luck im my life, but i wish you that are reading this, much luck.

Special Interest: memes

hawkeye10
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2016, 8:40 am

I need it to recharge, to do the things I have to do. I also just prefer being on my own.

Last edited by hawkeye10 on 23 Sep 2016, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 8:46 am

whatamievendoing wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I can relate to this, but the main reason I personally seek social isolation is just to gather up my thoughts after a potentially exhausting day spent socializing. I think of it as a means of relaxation.

That sounds like "normal" NT behaviour for an older person, as your only 22 I can see why you might find it an issue but when you get older it might not seem so much of an issue. I haven't been diagnosed but definately have some Aspie traits , I'm still on a self discovery mission. I don't know the real reason why I isolate myself - introversion , ASD , a PD or I could be just completely hatstand ( insane )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 3:20 pm

I was socially isolated as a teenager. Actually, I was too isolated for a female with mild ASD.

KennyIOM
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2016, 4:09 pm

As a child and a teenager I only ever had 1 or two friends. As I beame older I gained more friends, mostly through playing in local bands. But over the past 5 years, I've withdrawn from the world quite alot. Mostly through depression and anxiety since my brother and mother passed away. I do hope that I'm able to start to reconnect with people more in the future.

Secretalien

23 Sep 2016, 10:38 pm

School was paradoxically both the most and least socially isolated I've been. I was bullied, shunned, didn't fit in at all... but at the same time, I had a group of friends (some of us "weird" kids stuck together) and school provided a way to make friends and reason to hang out with them.

As an adult, I'm pretty socially isolated. I *know* a lot of people, and am still vaguely in touch with some of those school friends (we've all scattered to different places). But other than my fiance and my immediate family, I don't have anyone I'm *close* to. I don't have any real friends anymore.

I found a couple of local Meetup groups recently that are related to things I'm interested in, and I'm hoping I can start going to one and maybe that will be a way to make friends.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2016, 3:57 am

I have been socially isolated for the past ten years.

Oddly, I was fairly popular up until the age of about 16. Retrospectively, I attribute this to my dry, self-deprecating sense of humour and the fact that my interests (sports and popular TV sitcoms) were shared by many other people my age. Though I struggle around others, I think I might be more sociable than I care to admit. But fraternising with adults is vastly different to mingling with teenagers. I guess I have a lot of growing up to do.

Dinky1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2016, 5:15 am

I'm not sure how bad it is, because I don't really know what a 'typical' social circle looks like! I have plenty of acquaintances through work (I work full time), but I don't really fit that well into their social activities outside of work. Although they seem happy enough to invite me from time to time, knowing full well that it's a small miracle when I actually turn up at the event!! I don't have very many people that I feel comfortable sharing my heart with though. I think the closer I feel to someone, the more awkward I get because I'm not sure how to behave! Most days I'm so grateful that I don't have to constantly navigate social worlds, but sometimes I do feel a bit lonely.

mebradhen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Sep 2016, 6:36 am

I'm not that bad. I got 3 friends, each with our own disanlity. So we can relate to each other. But still got no girlfriend. Most find me "different". But I'm still young. :D

i've never know anyone like me ,so friendly PM's are always welcome :).