Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KanyeWestFan
Toucan
Toucan

11 Oct 2016, 6:51 pm

I use to have a problem with this when I was younger

Sometimes I would hear someone say something but later on realize that person never said that or I will believe someone did something (in the moment) but then later realize that person never did it. When this happen, I felt my mind fade away

I am very curious on why did this happen

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 12:03 am

It's entirely normal and extremely common. It varies of course, but generally memories mutate to some degree upon each revisit. It's not so much playing back a "mental video" as it is picking bits that stood out and tossing them back into a story that makes sense to you at that particular moment.

As to why this happened more immediately and to a more extreme degree when you were younger, I would guess it's an artifact of growing up and the brain changing, making, pruning connections during that time. I remember next to nothing from when I was young other than some bits related to school. I also had some wild no-way-they-could-be-true memories related to having a kooky kid-imagination.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 2:02 am

I have experienced that phenomenon.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2016, 2:05 am

I´ve been critisized for this and am often very confused. But, yes, it is probably very normal - maybe because we often listen with emotions turned on. This can produce false memory - a very well known phenomenon.