Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 2:13 pm

Does sensory overload give you a headache? I thought I was just getting sinus headaches and earaches due to allergies but I'm not sure anymore.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 2:18 pm

Yes - I can get a migraine from sensory overload. I am careful to watch for it - migraines are no fun.

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

eggheadjr wrote:
Yes - I can get a migraine from sensory overload.

Yep, me too.

If the headaches include dizziness, or nausea, or visual disturbances, they could be migraines.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

Yes, I'm prone to migraines and headaches and sensory overload is a trigger for them.

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

Yes, me too.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 5:13 pm

Yes

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:05 pm

I only get these headaches when I go somewhere away from home, most work days, or anytime I go out shopping or whatever. If it was my dust allergies acting up, god knows there is more than enough dust in my house to trigger a headache every time I'm at home.

It feels like a sinus headache, front of my face, cheekbones, ears throbbing, sharp pain in my right eyebrow, but I feel nauseated and dizzy too. Tried taking a nap and it didn't help.

Definitely had sensory overload today mostly from sunlight, feel like I want to crawl under a rock now and stay in the dark rest of my life.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 7:20 pm

It can. Sometimes it gives me such a headache I can't even function.

Wreck It Ralph

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:13 pm

Yes, I have had so many migraines and headaches that my neurologist said I have spots on my brain. They are mostly caused by sensory overload. I work part-time at Walmart and it was very loud and the sky windows were fluctuating from bright to dim. I had a headache for over 36hrs. I took pain medication, but it rarely helps.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:54 pm

I get them after work too... I had one today, nausea and dizziness and bad headache, usually on the left side. I've going to make an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow and ask for migraine pills because they're getting more frequent and bad. I have to shelve books under flickery lights and try to tune out noise and focus to look for mistakes.

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2014, 1:39 am

Loud noises, certain very low or high pitched noises, and certain strong smells and irritant airborne particles are my worst sensory issues, and I can experience them very, very intensely.

I get headaches, sinus pain and or swelling, ear pain, and chest pain and/or swelling from airborne particulates I am allergic or sensitive to like some pollens, dust and cigarette smoke, dirty dry cat litter, and come cleaning solvents and chemicals, bleach.

I also get intense headaches and ear aches from the loud/high/low pitch noises that I mentioned.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2014, 2:22 am

eggheadjr wrote:
Yes - I can get a migraine from sensory overload. I am careful to watch for it - migraines are no fun.

me too.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 10:58 am

Tension headaches can easily result from sensory overload - essentially, when under stress, many people unconsciously tense muscles around their face & head, and over time this causes these muscles to ache, producing a headache.

Migraines can also be worsened by stress. Migraines are weird, their mechanism isn't fully understood, but the pain appears to be manufactured by the brain, along with other neurological symptoms like hallucinatory flashing lights and so forth.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:04 am

no i dont get headaches but i do Shut Down, its very hard to explain but when i shut down nothing looks real and nothing can be processed and it takes forever for me to answer or respond to someone or something

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

leniorose
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jun 2014, 9:30 pm

I have minor headaches 24/7, which I suppose should be more correctly stated that I've had on headache that's lasted the past five years without rest. Occasionally it worsens or lessons, but it never goes away.

I have significant pain tolerance, so I don't always think it hurts badly, and it's normally just at the back of my mind, but it drains a lot of energy from me, though I feel it should be noted that it started when I moved.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 9:42 pm

It's the reverse for me. Headaches cause sensory overload, but sensory overload doesn't cause headaches. Sensory overload can make headaches worse, but it never causes them.