Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

madscientist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2007, 12:48 pm

Someone mentioned taking Omega-3 fish oil capsules in another thread, and it got me thinking. I started taking these a few months ago after reading a few articles. The research seems to show many benefits including mood stabilization, improved concentration, lower cholesterol and more, so I thought "why not?? and started taking 10 capsules/day (each capsule has is nominally 1000mg, but has 750mg Omega-3 - 360mg EPA and 250mg DHA).

Is anyone else taking this, and if so, what dosages and in what way have you noticed it helping? Also, are there any other supplements which are useful with AS-related issues?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 12:49 pm

I take them. I don't know how much though, my mum sorts it. I can take up to 6 a day but I usually take 2 a day. Sometimes I forget though. I think it works but I just don't know anymore.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:03 pm

You can get your omega-3 fatty acids from flaxseed oil as well, which I personally think is healthier than fish oil. You only need two or three teaspoons per day and you can mix it with salad dressing or vegetables or anything else. The only thing you can't use it for is cooking.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 1:49 pm

I've tried taking fish oil, but I never remember to take it for a long enough period to notice any results. I've tried it for my skin, since I have psoriasis and I've heard it can help with that.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:08 pm

St John's Wart is also a good supplement for mood stability and health.
With the calming and mood stabilizing effects it helps enable you to think more clear
of course this leading to a much more productive and less garbled thought process.

I myself have considered Fish Oil, low budget and all that to consider
I however love seafood and make habit to incorporate as much Omega-3 fats in my diet as possible with my circumstances.

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

10 May 2007, 2:20 pm

Im taking flaxseed oil and hemp oil which should pretty much cover me for the omega-3,6. Sadly no THC in the hemp oil though :(

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 2:40 pm

not sure why omega 3 is beneficial to AS ect specifically...

but it is an essential nutrient (meaning your body can't make it from other things)... so i'd say everyone would benefit from it as a supplement

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 May 2007, 2:54 pm

Been taking fish oil since last June. No question I'm less moody on it. I have no set amount I take but I try to take 6 grams daily.

Theory of its operation is the normal brain has a high percent of omega-3 fatty acids in
its cell membranes. Most people are getting very little omega-3 fats in their diets. So the brain uses other fats even trans fatty acids to replace them. The net result is the brain cells behave in a different manor. So taking enough omega-3 over time will replace those lipids in the brain cell membranes restoring a more normal function. Not sure what the precise word is maybe nerve transmission time is improved?

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 3:20 pm

I took those fish oil capsules for a week or so.
They were suppost to help me perform better.
But the problem was that every time i burped or something that smelly fish oder came up.
It was just too disgusting for me to continue it as i don't like fish.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 3:43 pm

Bart21 wrote:
I took those fish oil capsules for a week or so.
They were suppost to help me perform better.
But the problem was that every time i burped or something that smelly fish oder came up.
It was just too disgusting for me to continue it as i don't like fish.

Second choice is Flax oil or walnuts oil. You will need a lot I guess. At least a tablespoon a day.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 3:59 pm

it's in my cerial, it's in my soy milk AND i take it in supplemements.....
I don't really notice a difference...but I have a hunch i am better off than when i don't take it.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 4:11 pm

I am having 6 or 7 g/day and I believe it is really great!! !
I also have 0,5 g C vitamin together with each oil capsule

I MUSTN'T get more than this, 10 capsules a day would cause me skin eruptions.

I think this oil is miraculous, specially for older people, I call it panaceia as ancient greek people would do! :D

If you drink alcohool the oil will be great too, before and after!

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 4:17 pm

I have been taking Omega 3 supplements for a long time now because I do notice they help, although it's subtle in most cases.

I also make sure I eat a diet high in calcium, iron, potassium, mangesium, vitamin Bs, vitamin E and vitamin K, as well as fatty acids. That basically means I eat a lot of veggies and fruits, plus meat and egg regularly and a handful of almonds now and then, and use healthy oils in my cooking. Ideally you sure try to get what you need from food sources, because you body absorbs the nutirents better.

Supplement are just that - supplements. But don't rely solely on them, as your body often doesn't absorbs nearly as much as is contained in the dose. Also get the best quality you can afford. Things like filler or low quality ingredients can decease effectiveness and also be hard on your GI tract. For example, if you are taking fish oil and are having fishy burps, it's likely a low quality product, because you shouldn't be having that reaction.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 4:21 pm

Neuromancer wrote:
I am having 6 or 7 g/day and I believe it is really great!! !
I also have 0,5 g C vitamin together with each oil capsule

I think fishy odors are low moecular weight amines and in their free state would smell very potent. But in a salt form they would be less potent so vitamin C could help reduce fishy burps in some people.

Oh people can also reduce fishy side effects buy taking in 3 divided doses and eating with meals.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 4:31 pm

Cade wrote:
Supplement are just that - supplements. But don't rely solely on them, as your body often doesn't absorbs nearly as much as is contained in the dose. Also get the best quality you can afford. Things like filler or low quality ingredients can decease effectiveness and also be hard on your GI tract. For example, if you are taking fish oil and are having fishy burps, it's likely a low quality product, because you shouldn't be having that reaction.

This is really important, and also eating many fruits, it is great, also nuts.

Our diet really changes a lot on us, it can really turns us bad or good healthy and humored and so on, it is really important!

krex
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2007, 9:29 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Been taking fish oil since last June. No question I'm less moody on it. I have no set amount I take but I try to take 6 grams daily.

Theory of its operation is the normal brain has a high percent of omega-3 fatty acids in
its cell membranes. Most people are getting very little omega-3 fats in their diets. So the brain uses other fats even trans fatty acids to replace them. The net result is the brain cells behave in a different manor. So taking enough omega-3 over time will replace those lipids in the brain cell membranes restoring a more normal function. Not sure what the precise word is maybe nerve transmission time is improved?

I know you have done a lot of research in this area......

I just started eating Flax seeds(omega3...2.5g,6.....750mg,9....1g)One of the few things that have them all.....do you think having them all is OK and should they be in a certain balance" to get the best effects?Are these doses to low to have any effect...I hate to swallow pills but even 2 tablespoons is alot to try and hide in my food....very gritty(3g of fiber though... :D )

Also would this hurt or help my MS boyfriend(erectile dysfunction)that it might effect nitrus levels?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/