Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2016, 3:48 pm

I transpose letters e.g., 'bar cark'.

Mostly I would say I have language difficulties rather than speech difficulties, though.

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 3:56 pm

When I was younger I had a lot of speech problems. I couldn't pronounce "th" or "r" sounds, "sh" sounds sometimes came out as "s", and "ch" sounds as "ts". I had to go to speech therapy. I hated going, but it did help a lot. To this day, I have trouble pronouncing "r" sounds at the end of words, which means I've been asked many times if I had an accent.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2016, 5:11 pm

I went to speech therapy in school because I had trouble with "th" and the "s" sounds. That stopped when I was in high school, because those problems went away. I think one of the reasons I was bullied so much in elementary school was because I was pulled out of class for speech therapy, and the other kids didn't like those who were "different."

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2016, 5:26 pm

ive noticed i stutter and pause in the middle of sentences a lot more than I used to. or maybe i was always like that and never noticed.

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2016, 5:30 pm

I never had speech impediments as a kid (though I never liked speaking in public.)

In recent years, I've developed a combo of what xile123 and ConceptuallyCurious describe, but I'm not sure if it's related to autism or age - I know others, allegedly NT, who also mix up words or have trouble coming up with the right word now and then.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2016, 6:26 pm

SH90 wrote:
I had difficulty with TH and something else in elementary school… With practice it went away. Very recently I started having problems with 30’s. I sometimes say “dirty”6, I have no I idea how this started.

Ive always had issues with TH as well. Like TH in the word the.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2016, 7:35 pm

I've had trouble with the TH sound in the past, but that's because in my first language, TH doesn't exist. I've also a little trouble with the 'R' sound in the past, so I used to say 'three' as 'swee'.

Other than that, I never had problems with pronouncing syllables, but I talk softly, pause a lot when I'm speaking, and often get words jumbled up as they come out. Often when I'm saying a sentence, I'll repeat parts of my sentence to correct the jumbled words. I also have this thing where sometimes I have to repeat the first word of my sentence three times before I get on with the rest of my sentence.

It's not because I talk too quickly — in fact, I've had people comment about how slowly I speak. The funny thing is, my parents say that I was an extremely early talker.