Do u like talking to strangers in public?

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2016, 12:48 pm

Do u like talking strangers in public and i find it when i go down social situation i feel bored not interested uncomfortable sometimes because dont understand them when i talk them when they act sarcasm dont like it confused whyyyy NT does that for anyone when people are nice to me im fine but feeling shy embarrassed thats what my brain dont know what to say in social situation i say hello mostly smile as well

Diagnosis Asperger's Syndrome back in 2005
also have Anxiety Disorder, OCD

Severe to Profound on my left ear and have cochlear implant on Right ear i'm Deaf

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 12:59 pm

For me it really depends on the topic. I don't like it when a stranger starts talking to me when I am playing a game or reading or just resting. I also don't like it when a stranger comes and starts talking to me about drama in their life. If I am playing a game and someone gets excited about it and starts talking about it or their game system, cool.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

Q) Do you like talking to strangers in public?

A) No, I do not like talking to strangers, regardless of whether it is in public or in private. I actively avoid it.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

chirpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2016, 1:12 pm

I don't, expecially if they're older than me.
Regardless of their age or gender though, random people you meet on the street or on buses and who try to talk to you creep me out.
It's different if I'm at school, at a convention, etc. I still don't like talking to people I don't know, but it's much less creepy and in that case you're usually approached by people your age, and that makes it easier for me. I've met some of my current friends this way, actually.

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2016, 1:25 pm

League_Girl wrote:
For me it really depends on the topic. I don't like it when a stranger starts talking to me when I am playing a game or reading or just resting. I also don't like it when a stranger comes and starts talking to me about drama in their life. If I am playing a game and someone gets excited about it and starts talking about it or their game system, cool.

Same thing when mum ask for help while im playing game i get frustration yeah depends what they are talking about most of time not interested whats NT does all i do is playing game and talking people in this fourms that relax me and also my mum said stop bring up all the aspergers and got annoyed but ive been told i talk alot thats what mum says

Severe to Profound on my left ear and have cochlear implant on Right ear i'm Deaf

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2016, 1:35 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Yeah whats drama means?

So yeah i dont like it when some scare or knocking asking questions about the different topics that im not interest and while im in deep focus on games on phone or computer and talking about aspergers topic

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2016, 1:38 pm

Jute wrote:

A) No, I do not like talking to strangers, regardless of whether it is in public or in private. I actively avoid it.

Are you talking about depends on the person? Or conversation about topic?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 2:06 pm

Berabara wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Yeah whats drama means?

So yeah i dont like it when some scare or knocking asking questions about the different topics that im not interest and while im in deep focus on games on phone or computer and talking about aspergers topic

What I mean by drama is like conflicts they have in their life or divorce or custody battle or them losing their pet to a divorce or boyfriend/girlfriend troubles, how people are plotting against them and how they are always screwing them over, stuff like that. I think all these people who start talking to me about their problems they are having in their life have a problem themselves.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2016, 2:17 pm

Berabara wrote:
Jute wrote:

Are you talking about depends on the person? Or conversation about topic?

Both, I don't like people and I don't like people talking to me, about anything.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2016, 3:31 pm

No, I don't talk to anyone I don't know. Sometimes strangers have tried to make small talk with me and I just do not know how to keep the conversation going. I end up saying mostly nodding and saying "yeah" or "really". I feel bad because maybe they think I am being rude or something but really I am fighting the urge to just run in the other direction so I am not stressed.

I even had a problem at a job because it was just this older women and I in what was literally a plexiglass box all day. We were cashiers at a car dealer and it has this odd design. We are in a box by area where the cars are fixed. We really had to speak up to even be heard outside it so inside was kind of private. It was a bad design for that kind of job.

She would talk a lot about grand kids and other stuff that I could not relate to at all. I was 21 at the time plus I am shy. I latter heard she was very upset thinking I was doing this on purpose from another employee who was around my age. That person also thought I didn't say much but after enough time in such close proximity he figured me out and she did not.

But if I know someone well I have no problem talking and sharing my thoughts. I feel like I am two different people because then maybe I never shut up.

CuddleFrogs
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2016, 3:44 pm

That depends.

Sometimes I'm very friendly and willing to talk. In fact, I frequently make brief small talk, but never continue for long since I have difficulty keeping up with conversation sometimes.

On the other hand, I have some discomfort when I pass a neighbor on the street. I know I should smile at them, but even making eye contact with them is uncomfortable for me, so I often just look away. This makes me feel bad because I'm certain it looks rude, however. :P

rye
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2016, 3:54 pm

I'm indifferent. If a stranger approaches me for casual conversation, I'll likely entertain them for a while, but I'll make attempts to leave the conversation if I don't feel like talking anymore. On the other hand, if the stranger wants to know something I know a great deal about, I can talk for hours and go off on a tangent, but I generally don't approach anyone unless they are my teacher.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 5:04 pm

No, not at all. I am very aloof.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2016, 5:14 pm

I don't think that a lot of people like it.
The thing is, I'm very anxious, and I get bored very easily.
However, if the stranger in question is talking about (if possible technical) topics about computers or science, or they're funny and like to joke, I'm likely to enjoy the conversation. But let's be realistic, I almost never meet other nerdy people IRL... Which is normal as we largely prefer to use computers to talk, usually... :lol:

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 5:54 pm

MissAlgernon wrote:
I don't think that a lot of people like it.
The thing is, I'm very anxious, and I get bored very easily.
However, if the stranger in question is talking about (if possible technical) topics about computers or science, or they're funny and like to joke, I'm likely to enjoy the conversation. But let's be realistic, I almost never meet other nerdy people IRL... Which is normal as we largely prefer to use computers to talk, usually... :lol:

Lol, no doubt. I'm shutting shop for the winter season here next week (agriculture), and in the winter months I occupy my time with programming. I've got a good idea this winter: a color-scheme generator that spits out SASS and LESS sheets to make coloring with CSS easier and more consistent. Problem is I live in podunk, so anyone I've mentioned this too is "Yeah.....that's great. What is SASS, LESS, and CSS again?" "Oh, ok. I don't understand that at all-- did you see the Broncos game on Sunday?"

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2016, 6:19 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Lol, no doubt. I'm shutting shop for the winter season here next week (agriculture), and in the winter months I occupy my time with programming. I've got a good idea this winter: a color-scheme generator that spits out SASS and LESS sheets to make coloring with CSS easier and more consistent. Problem is I live in podunk, so anyone I've mentioned this too is "Yeah.....that's great. What is SASS, LESS, and CSS again?" "Oh, ok. I don't understand that at all-- did you see the Broncos game on Sunday?"

I can only sympathize... A few months ago, I met somebody who ordered a new "blog" (he already had a 15-year-old blog, something that I desperately tried to maintain but at that point it had become almost quite impossible, and I couldn't upgrade it because I didn't have access to the server), I asked him what kind of content he wanted to post and how often so I could be sure if he wanted a blog rather than an ordinary website, and he asked me "what's the difference ?" Oooookay, so there's a lot of work to do before we start 8O
I wonder what his reaction would be if I made a non-responsive CSS in red Comic Sans on flashy yellow background :chin: That said, one of my clients modified her site almost exactly like that and she liked it much better than my work :roll: