Am I the only person without a mobile/cell phone?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2016, 1:46 am

I've never owned a mobile/cell phone and can't see that situation ever changing. I hate making calls (I may make one a month on my landline) and get really anxious whenever the phone rings.

I used to have phone sales people come to my door saying they could save me money on my current contract. The conversation would go something like this:

Salesman: Our new mobile and contract will say you pounds off of your current mobile contract.
Me: I don't have a mobile phone.
Saleman (after a confused pause): Oh, well how much were you paying when you did have a mobile?
Me: I've never had a mobile.
Salesman (after an even longer pause): Really? Well, a mobile can save you money off of your landline calls. How much are your calls?
Me: Less than £5 a quarter.
Salesman (after a really long pause): Oh, there's nothing we can do to save you money.
Me: I know. Please go away and never come back.

Why the hell would anyone want to be contactable at all hours of the day or night? It sounds terrible!

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 3:30 am

I have one only to mollify my older sister who worries about me being without in case of emergency. but the thing is, it's a cheapo tracfone with no cell coverage out here in the sticks where I live in any case, so basically i'm spending 7 bucks a month to make my sister happy but getting no utility out of it. it is like I don't have a cell phone because it doesn't work out here.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2016, 5:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
I have one only to mollify my older sister who worries about me being without in case of emergency. but the thing is, it's a cheapo tracfone with no cell coverage out here in the sticks where I live in any case, so basically i'm spending 7 bucks a month to make my sister happy but getting no utility out of it. it is like I don't have a cell phone because it doesn't work out here.

:) My daughter has the only one in the house. I can't even use it (one of those touch-screen smart-phones) because of my heavy-handed, sausage-fingers. I keep accidentally pressing on the wrong things.

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 5:09 am

liveandrew wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

:) My daughter has the only one in the house. I can't even use it (one of those touch-screen smart-phones) because of my heavy-handed, sausage-fingers. I keep accidentally pressing on the wrong things.

I HATE touchscreens as they are not for the sausage-fingered among us. I WISH somebody still made cell phones with actual buttons! :x did have a halfway decent virgin nokia phone with actual buttons but virgin without notice stopped using that phone/service [bare bones] and made everybody get a fancier phone with a monthly fee twice what I paid [$20/month].

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2016, 5:32 am

auntblabby wrote:
I HATE touchscreens as they are not for the sausage-fingered among us.

I'm terrible at anything that needs a delicate touch. My dad had me squeezing tennis and squash balls when I was young and I'm a climber as well, so my hands (and forearms) are very strong as well as being large. Add to this an inability to judge how much strength to apply to a task and you have a "broken thing" just waiting to happen. Shaking hands with people is a nightmare.

I had a work colleague that used to call me ManBearPig. Quite apt, really.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 5:36 am

i'm the opposite of you in terms of musculature but my fingers just don't seem to have the finesse to use touchscreens plus there is also an anomaly of capacitance that my fingers have, they don't have the same electrical response that normal fingers have on a touchscreen. my niece is the same way.

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2016, 5:37 am

liveandrew wrote:
Why the hell would anyone want to be contactable at all hours of the day or night? It sounds terrible!

I completely agree! I hate phones in general. They're an unexpected interruption, their noises can be annoying to painful, and using them usually involves talking to another person. That said, I actually do have a couple active cell phones. They're both old flip phones and on exceedingly cheap prepaid plans (costing about $40 per year combined). I like being able to carry one with me when I leave the house, in case I need to call someone. That helps a good bit with my anxiety. However, I usually keep them on Silent (not even vibrate) and only check them maybe once a day.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 5:40 am

liveandrew wrote:
I've never owned a mobile/cell phone and can't see that situation ever changing. I hate making calls (I may make one a month on my landline) and get really anxious whenever the phone rings.

I used to have phone sales people come to my door saying they could save me money on my current contract. The conversation would go something like this:

Salesman: Our new mobile and contract will say you pounds off of your current mobile contract.
Me: I don't have a mobile phone.
Saleman (after a confused pause): Oh, well how much were you paying when you did have a mobile?
Me: I've never had a mobile.
Salesman (after an even longer pause): Really? Well, a mobile can save you money off of you r landline calls. How much are your calls?
Me: Less than £5 a quarter.
Salesman (after a really long pause): Oh, there's nothing we can do to save you money.
Me: I know. Please go away and never come back.

I have a iPhone without a phone contract. I never use the phone anyway so. It be pointless. Also, I'd probably only use text feature anyway. Like, my Dad does.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 5:54 am

I have a touchscreen phone with 4G internet a month, and easy access to Facebook. I can't be without my phone.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 6:58 am

I have one of those free Virgin mobile "government phones" that the U.S. government gives to qualified individuals who earn next to nothing. The phone is limited to 250 minutes/text messages a month and has no Internet access at all. I like it that way; oh, and it has a Tetris game included. :roll:

I see the phone as an emergency tool, nothing more (power outage, lost on the road, out of gas). My family members and friends don't understand why I keep it turned off and inside a Faraday case. "It is almost as if you don't WANT us to call you." Yep. But, I do use it when I need to do so and my landline is tied up.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2016, 8:11 am

AspieUtah wrote:
I have one of those free Virgin mobile "government phones" that the U.S. government gives to qualified individuals who earn next to nothing. The phone is limited to 250 minutes/text messages a month and has no Internet access at all. I like it that way; oh, and it has a Tetris game included. :roll:

I see the phone as an emergency tool, nothing more (power outage, lost on the road, out of gas). My family members and friends don't understand why I keep it turned off and inside a Faraday case. "It is almost as if you don't WANT us to call you." Yep. But, I do use it when I need to do so and my landline is tied up.

I wouldn't even know how to text! I know I sound like a real Luddite here but I'm not really. I'm a software developer (actually a test/release engineer at the moment). It's just phones I hate :)

I've been told I need one for emergencies but I just think back to when we didn't have mobiles/cells and coped perfectly well. I will deal with your emergencies though:

power outage = I have a spare landline phone that plugs into the phone socket and doesn't need external power. If the phone lines are down... meh, don't care.
lost on the road = unlike Utah, it's really hard to get lost in the UK. There are road signs everywhere.
out of gas = it's not happened to me in 31 years of driving. I'm pretty anal about keeping a good amount of petrol in the tank.

A far more common occurence, when I lived on the moors in the arse-end of nowhere, was power outages and having to cook and boil water. I have several camping stoves (meths, propane/butane, hexamine) and a wood burner with a flat-top that dealt with that.

I've always wanted to visit Utah. It looks sparse.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 8:24 am

liveandrew wrote:
...I've always wanted to visit Utah. It looks sparse.

It is sparse in the 71 percent of the state that is federal land and was never transferred to the state after statehood. Keeping state lands federalized after transitioning from being a territory to a state is a con, hoax, scam cooked up by our federal government so it can earn the financial benefits of so much land instead of the state. But, the state and its citizens are prohibited from these lands, except, in some cases, "camping" or "visiting" them instead of actually developing them. As a result, our few populated cities are urban nightmares. The Utah government has been battling this abuse in federal courts for most of its existence. Sprawl has come to the wilderness.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 8:32 am

I don't have one. I had one about 15 years ago, for emergencies. It lived in my in my car's glove box for a year or two. I've never sent a text in my life. It makes me mad that nowadays a lot of stores offer discounts that you can only get by showing them your phone.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2016, 8:41 am

AspieUtah wrote:
liveandrew wrote:
...I've always wanted to visit Utah. It looks sparse.

It is sparse in the 71 percent of the state that is federal land and was never transferred to the state after statehood. Keeping state lands federalized after transitioning from being a territory to a state is a con, hoax, scam cooked up by our federal government so it can earn the financial benefits of so much land instead of the state. But, the state and its citizens are prohibited from these lands, except, in some cases, "camping" or "visiting" them instead of actually developing them. As a result, our few populated cities are urban nightmares. The Utah government has been battling this abuse in federal courts for most of its existence. Sprawl has come to the wilderness.

Ah, so you have a few larger sprawling cities rather than many smaller towns and cities? That doesn't sound good. The largest town in my county (Cornwall) has a population of only 22,000. We don't even have a motorway down here.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2016, 8:43 am

YippySkippy wrote:
It makes me mad that nowadays a lot of stores offer discounts that you can only get by showing them your phone.

That sort of thing p***es me off as well.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2016, 10:30 am

I do not have a cell phone, I have a land line. I have had cell phones before, but not in several years. I don't ever want one again. They are like portable leashes and people get mad at you if you do not answer them.

I have found that people often do not believe me when I say I do not have a cell phone. I know I am in the minority for not having one, but really, why lie about such a thing? It's odd to me that people find a lack of a cell phone so unbelievable.