How are you with people joking around? How about sarcasm?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

seahawksfan46
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Oct 2016, 2:07 am

Despite being diagnosed with Autism, I've never had any issues with detecting sarcasm, despite the fact that I'm rarely sarcastic (unless the situation calls for it). As for jokes, I have no problem with those either as I can always tell from the tone/body language and facial expressions. If I mess around/jokingly insult somebody, then it's a sign that I view the person as a friend.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 7:24 am

I can usually tell when people are joking around. Sometimes I find it funny, and sometimes it upsets me; it all depends on the context.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 7:43 am

Sometimes I can detect sarcasm, but not always. It gets confusing when I ask someone if they're being sarcastic, and they reply "No" sarcastically. People often have to tell me, "I'm just kidding" or "I'm just messing with you."

I joke around with others. Just without using sarcasm.

KennyIOM
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2016, 7:59 am

I didn't understand Sarcasm until I was in my twenties. I couldn't understand the concept.

I'm ok with people joking around, but it can take alot of concentration. I normally see a literal representation of what they're saying in my mind and then reverse engineer the joke from there.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 8:07 am

I have a very sarcastic/cynical sense of humour, but I have problems with a similar style of joke, the "wind-up", where people say something they don't mean, but in a non-sarcastic tone. People often have to say "I'm only joking" in this context, otherwise I just take what they say at face value. It's embarrassing, it makes me feel boring or like I don't have a sense of fun, but I really can't pick up on it :oops: .

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 10:13 am

I have trouble with some people (especially those who have what's referred to as a "dry" sense of humor, where they act more serious), but I'm usually okay.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 10:19 am

I'm a very sarcastic person myself, but I have trouble recognizing it in others. I don't remember this being an issue when I was younger - I think it's actually developed with age. I've just met so many stupid people, and so many people with bizarre viewpoints, that now I tend to just assume that people actually mean the crazy shyt they say.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2016, 11:25 am

I usually take someones joke as a insult or a sarcastic comment. It gets confusing when they do that. I'm actually wanting to learn how to not take someones joke as literal as I think it is. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 11:51 am

seahawksfan46 wrote:
Despite being diagnosed with Autism, I've never had any issues with detecting sarcasm, despite the fact that I'm rarely sarcastic (unless the situation calls for it). As for jokes, I have no problem with those either as I can always tell from the tone/body language and facial expressions. If I mess around/jokingly insult somebody, then it's a sign that I view the person as a friend.

I'm exactly the same.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 12:01 pm

I once attempted sarcasm but failed at it. People thought I was being serious.

chirpy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2016, 1:05 pm

I used to have a lot of troubles understanding jokes and sarcasm, but now I don't have this problem anymore.
I almost always get jokes and I make a lot of them myself, sarcasm sometimes it's a bit harder to get for me but I usually understand it. I'm quite sarcastic myself, but people often don't get that I'm being sarcastic and they think i'm being serious and I have to explain I'm not.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 2:00 pm

I can sometimes tell, sometimes can't... depending on what we're talking about, I guess...

When I was little, I couldn't tell at all.

fourcandles
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2016, 6:12 pm

I have no problem understanding jokes or sarcasm, but I've given up trying to make jokes. Hardly anyone knows when I'm doing it, even my wife. And sarcasm usually causes more trouble than it's worth.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 6:27 pm

Some slips past me. Not a lot, but it's usually something that I should have picked up on.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 9:35 pm

I seem to be good at it on forums.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2016, 10:10 pm

It really depends on the type of humour. I don't think it's so much that I don't get the joke, but just that I don't find it very funny.

For example, I don't find racist/sexist/homophobic/ablest jokes very funny, but I know they are "jokes". I dunno, it's just not my type of humour. But jokes related to politicians, I find EXTREMELY funny. Even if it's one I support. I think this is true for most people (that they have a preference for certain types of jokes).

For sarcasm, I'd say I understand it. I'm not a fan of it, unless it's in a joking fashion meant to be funny. If it's just meant to hurt someone's feelings, no, I don't like it.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic