Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 6:54 pm

Going on another cruise in Dec. coming up soon. Last Sept. when I went I didn't like the loud music on the pool deck. IMO slots = boring which is "weird" according to my mom. Oh you like video games! but uh? I don't find sitting it one spot clicking a slot machine as "fun" (what is my goal? what am I achieving wasting money at this machine that pays out in small odds????)

Chose instead of midnight snacks or staying out late (1AM comedy club) chose to go to bed early.

So? How can I be more social on this new cruise? Not a party crazy type that caters to cruises?

Thanks!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 7:09 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Going on another cruise in Dec. coming up soon. Last Sept. when I went I didn't like the loud music on the pool deck. IMO slots = boring which is "weird" according to my mom. Oh you like video games! but uh? I don't find sitting it one spot clicking a slot machine as "fun" (what is my goal? what am I achieving wasting money at this machine that pays out in small odds????)

Chose instead of midnight snacks or staying out late (1AM comedy club) chose to go to bed early.

So? How can I be more social on this new cruise? Not a party crazy type that caters to cruises?

Thanks!

Avoid the deck music. Stick to earbuds (even if they are turned off). Next, practice some cliche NT conversation bits and pieces ("Are you have a good time so far?" "I haven't seen the whole ship yet, but, so far, it's great!" "I am planning to go ashore at the next stop.") This will act like a life-preserver when approached by others. As for your own personal entertainment, take a couple of your favorite books with you. Ask the cruise directors or other crew members where they like to go onboard to avoid the crowds and noise levels. They will be happy to share their secrets. After all, they have to live with the atmosphere day in and day out. They probably dislike it as much as any autist. Finally, if you know your cruise itinerary, spend some time researching the different ports and locations you might visit. This will make it more interesting to you instead of simply following a tour guide's speeches. Look for ways to enjoy yourself. It is possible, you just have to be a little creative. Good luck!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2016, 7:58 pm

For me when it comes to working through or around the limitations of my autism, it requires a lot of trial and error practice. I keep messing up until I get it right, if I ever do. There are quiet types who socialize. I don't think someone has to have the "gift of gab" to socialize.