Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

svaughan
Raven
Raven

05 Dec 2016, 12:24 pm

Just seen "The Accountant", decent enough movie, would you guys say Ben Affleck portrayed someone who had quite a severe case od Aspergers or more mild? Seemed severe to me.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a film where someone is more mild and perhaps not noticable until revealed at the some point.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 1:32 pm

I have never seen the movie yet so I can't comment.

I would say the mildest aspie character out there you will find is Isabelle Sorenson. People have argued rather she was aspie or just normal. Even my special ed aunt thought she was normal. I thought she was also Bipolar because of her mood changes and her laughing but no Jerry Newport said it was PTSD and that was something the movie never disclosed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 2:18 pm

svaughan wrote:
Just seen "The Accountant", decent enough movie, would you guys say Ben Affleck portrayed someone who had quite a severe case od Aspergers or more mild? Seemed severe to me.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a film where someone is more mild and perhaps not noticable until revealed at the some point.

I haven't seen the movie but would be happy to be explained to what the difference between mild and severe. That would be great

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 2:47 pm

People with mild AS are closer to normal so it's easier for them to "fake" normality and to stop their AS and to control their symptoms and it's not as hard for them to do it. The more severe you are, the harder it is to control it and to stop it and to act normal. Plus with mild AS, it's easier to learn social skills and to learn the social rules. Some people don't even think mild AS even exists and think people with it are just normal but just more socially awkward and can function fine in society so no need for a diagnoses. That is just my opinion about Mild AS.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

SubaCine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2016, 10:57 am

svaughan wrote:

Have you ever watched the show "Parenthood"? There is a kid named Max with pretty severe Aspergers, but later they introduce a character in his mid-40s named Hank (Ray Romano) who eventually starts to realize he too could have Aspergers.

His case is pretty mild, and I related to him a lot. I can still remember the day I saw the episode where he realized it, because it was the same day I realized it about myself.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Dec 2016, 1:39 pm

We now know that Asperger's and HFA are the same. The "severe" cases are just simply more Autistic but still mild enough to be in the HFA range.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 11:37 pm

bethannny wrote:
We now know that Asperger's and HFA are the same. The "severe" cases are just simply more Autistic but still mild enough to be in the HFA range.

How do we know it? I'm not aware of any official consensus on that topic.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Dec 2016, 10:14 pm

starkid wrote:
bethannny wrote:

How do we know it? I'm not aware of any official consensus on that topic.

Since 2013 Asperger's has been folded into HFA because of the DSM-5. Personally, there really was never much of difference between the two other than the speech delay.

And in terms of intelligence, it's very broad (just like with the NT population) most of us with HFA can score anywhere from above 70 to 130.