Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 1:47 am

blackicmenace wrote:
FandomConnection wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't believe in euthanasia and assisted suicide. I don't want to be told that it's my duty to die because I have a disability.

There are measures in place (wherever euthanasia is legal) to prevent people from being forced to die. It is only available to people with terminal illness, as a means of alleviating the suffering caused by a lingering death. Candidates need to be able to make their own rational decisions, and undergo extensive counselling first to ensure that it is what they truly want. The choice for euthanasia needs to be based on the individual alone, with no consideration for the desires of the family or others. It is not about killing off those with disabilities.

That said, I do take your point. It would be terrible to be pressured by others to die simply because the means are legally available; however, I do support euthanasia for people who are dying in a painful way, and wish to die to prevent more suffering. I do think that suicide should be prevented if possible, because it is a waste of a person's potential life. I am not religious (atheist), so I don't believe that suicide is morally wrong, just that there is nothing after death, so a person should not lightly divorce themself from their only conscious state. If a person is dying anyway, I believe that it can be easier and less traumatic for them to be able to control their death so as to alleviate further pain.

I hope that this is not insensitive or upsetting. I apologise that I am not adept at tempering my expression; this is just my opinion and I mean no disrespect for anybody.

Taking one's life is a very difficult thing to do. In 39 years I have only managed 1 attempt but have spent countless hours thinking about it. I would venture to guess, it is much easier to take someone else's life than your own. The instinct to survive is very powerful.

I contemplated suicide for three years, from when I was 10 to 13 years old. I probably would have killed myself had I known how, but each time I thought about a method, I was worried it would not work. The human body is very well protected, and there is little chance of dying painlessly or quickly by one's own hand.

I'm fine, now. Don't worry. :D I'm very glad I didn't kill myself.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 3:48 am

FandomConnection wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
FandomConnection wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't believe in euthanasia and assisted suicide. I don't want to be told that it's my duty to die because I have a disability.

There are measures in place (wherever euthanasia is legal) to prevent people from being forced to die. It is only available to people with terminal illness, as a means of alleviating the suffering caused by a lingering death. Candidates need to be able to make their own rational decisions, and undergo extensive counselling first to ensure that it is what they truly want. The choice for euthanasia needs to be based on the individual alone, with no consideration for the desires of the family or others. It is not about killing off those with disabilities.

That said, I do take your point. It would be terrible to be pressured by others to die simply because the means are legally available; however, I do support euthanasia for people who are dying in a painful way, and wish to die to prevent more suffering. I do think that suicide should be prevented if possible, because it is a waste of a person's potential life. I am not religious (atheist), so I don't believe that suicide is morally wrong, just that there is nothing after death, so a person should not lightly divorce themself from their only conscious state. If a person is dying anyway, I believe that it can be easier and less traumatic for them to be able to control their death so as to alleviate further pain.

I hope that this is not insensitive or upsetting. I apologise that I am not adept at tempering my expression; this is just my opinion and I mean no disrespect for anybody.

Taking one's life is a very difficult thing to do. In 39 years I have only managed 1 attempt but have spent countless hours thinking about it. I would venture to guess, it is much easier to take someone else's life than your own. The instinct to survive is very powerful.

I contemplated suicide for three years, from when I was 10 to 13 years old. I probably would have killed myself had I known how, but each time I thought about a method, I was worried it would not work. The human body is very well protected, and there is little chance of dying painlessly or quickly by one's own hand.

I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself. Fear can be a great motivator and one our most powerful instincts. It can also be humanity's worst quality. Depending on one's fight or flight response, adrenaline can either overcome or succumb to one's fear. Your life has only begun, you seem very kind and intelligent. I'm sure you have good things are in store for you. As the Vulcans say, live long and prosper.

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 4:46 am

blackicmenace wrote:
FandomConnection wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
FandomConnection wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself. Fear can be a great motivator and one our most powerful instincts. It can also be humanity's worst quality. Depending on one's fight or flight response, adrenaline can either overcome or succumb to one's fear. Your life has only begun, you seem very kind and intelligent. I'm sure you have good things are in store for you. As the Vulcans say, live long and prosper.

Thank you. Live long and prosper. \\//

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 9:03 am

To whom ever posted this thread, Please seek help if you're feeling suicidal

Things may look and feel bad now but life is constantly changing, one day you will find happiness and things will change. So keep that in mind and don't lose hope.

Wishing you all the best

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 11:22 am

I agree with voluntary euthanasia in all circumstances, no one ever consented to life and no one should be forced to continue with it. I am deeply concerned about my future I am disabled after a previous suicide attempt and cannot really care for my self once my parents are dead I am screwed suicide will be my only real option but I am afraid I will just end up more disabled I hope when the time comes that Euthanasia is legal by then.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:28 pm

This actually exists in the Netherlands. It was the first country to legalise any kind of euthanasia, I believe, but they now also allow euthanasia for "insufferable mental illness": http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05 ... anasia-du/ Of course, it takes a lot to convince doctors that you've really tried everything else you could, so I suspect that, in practice, if you're that determined to kill yourself it would simpler to just do it without assistance.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:53 pm

/\ OMG, is that really YOU, FMX----long-time-no-see----so nice to see you!!

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:01 pm

FMX wrote:
This actually exists in the Netherlands. It was the first country to legalise any kind of euthanasia, I believe, but they now also allow euthanasia for "insufferable mental illness": http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05 ... anasia-du/ Of course, it takes a lot to convince doctors that you've really tried everything else you could, so I suspect that, in practice, if you're that determined to kill yourself it would simpler to just do it without assistance.

Yeah but its not just about time but also Method it may take longer to get the assistance but you can be sure it will work, won't hurt and that others don't get hurt.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:52 pm

Hey Campin_Cat! Yeah, just thought I'd pop in and contribute to a depressing topic. :) Good to see you, too!

Daniel89, that is true - assisted suicide, if you manage to get it, is pretty safe. (Though it feels funny to use the word "safe" to mean "guaranteed to kill you"!)

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 5:12 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
FMX wrote:

Yeah but its not just about time but also Method it may take longer to get the assistance but you can be sure it will work, won't hurt and that others don't get hurt.

You can't be sure of any of those things. It might not work due to some paradoxical reaction. It could well hurt (they are taking away the death penalty lethal injection for this reason) and family and friends could get emotionally hurt beyond repair. Then it's just a snowball effect.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 5:16 pm

midas_touch wrote:
4 months ago I tried to hang myself but the curtain rail broke. At times I can't take this life anymore and although I don't constantly feel suicidal, my life is never particularly happy.

I haven't had close friends that lasted anything more than a week or two for 15 years. I've been consistently rejected by women I romantically want for 15 years too.

It's hard to get it right on your own sometimes. I think the option for an assisted suicide should be there. As if my pain from romantic rejections isn't enough, then people pick on me too. In bars, in social groups, at college.

I think I can see nothing's ever going to change.

The ways NTs view suicide is unfortunate. They just don't get that for some, a life that is short but happy is better than one that is long and miserable. And illegalizing suicide just makes those inclined to do it less likely to seek help and more likely to simply execute their plan in secret.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Oct 2017, 5:23 pm

drwho222 wrote:
midas_touch wrote:
4 months ago I tried to hang myself but the curtain rail broke. At times I can't take this life anymore and although I don't constantly feel suicidal, my life is never particularly happy.

I haven't had close friends that lasted anything more than a week or two for 15 years. I've been consistently rejected by women I romantically want for 15 years too.

It's hard to get it right on your own sometimes. I think the option for an assisted suicide should be there. As if my pain from romantic rejections isn't enough, then people pick on me too. In bars, in social groups, at college.

I think I can see nothing's ever going to change.

The ways NTs view suicide is unfortunate. They just don't get that for some, a life that is short but happy is better than one that is long and miserable. And illegalizing suicide just makes those inclined to do it less likely to seek help and more likely to simply execute their plan in secret.

Suicide is legal, but helping someone is not (because it could lead to problems with being pressured into suicide or make it easier to pass murder off as suicide).

It's nothing to do with neurotype - most NTs support euthanasia.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
I agree with voluntary euthanasia in all circumstances, no one ever consented to life and no one should be forced to continue with it.
This is my POV too. Only the person living the life has the right to determine if it's worth living, no one else. People shouldn't be forced to do dramatic and painful things, they should be allowed to get a calm end if they choose to go.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 7:06 pm

Find something you enjoy in life, no matter how trivial it may seem by other peoples' standards. Learn something new, see a new movie, paint, etc.. Suicide can't be undone and plenty have tried to half-way through. Life is short enough as it is. What's the rush?

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2017, 5:07 am

What in life makes you happy?
What in life makes you unhappy?

For me, people make me unhappy - that is the ONLY thing. 100% of the rest of my time is mostly happiness, with a little bit of irritation & stupid mistakes.
Focus on things that make you happy. Move away from those that don't.
I need to start my own business so that I'm able to survive and stay away from work colleagues.

Friendships are difficult. Many NT's don't have many real friends at all.
Think about facebook - many fake friends, people pretend to be something so they won't be isolated from a group. They're not being themselves, those people that are social friends - are not real friends. Perhaps this person doesn't enjoy drinking or sports, but does it anyway to fit in with the group. Those people don't know her at all!
Only a few very close people "best friends" actually know her properly, she only reveals her true personality to them. She might not even do this, she might not have close friends.
People move cities all the time to "start over again" make a new group of friends.

Try not to focus so much on having these fake friends, it's one more of societies lies.
As for the girlfriend thing, focus more on your career - make a business.
YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL to survive.
People often have 'friends' who are really work colleagues.
If you have a successful career, people will respect you and be more friendly towards you.
The same is true for the opposite sex.

Focus on yourself, become sucessful and independent so you are able to survive not matter what others are doing, or saying. You do your thing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 6:32 pm

in general, i'm happier sans people around.