Sensory processing difficulties and skin lotion

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 7:18 pm

I have a particularly difficult time coping with the feeling of lotions or anything on my skin that feels greasy even in the slightest. Does anyone else really struggle sensations of body lotion, face cream or sun screen? If so have you found one that doesn't feel so greasy that you can tolerate?

I usually avoid using any lotion except on my hands because my hands would bleed from my obsessive handwashing otherwise but I have some health problems that is causing my skin on my entire body to be really dry so I need to find something I can tolerate applying to my skin.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 7:47 pm

"It puts the lotion on its skin..." (Sorry, that just popped into my head!)

I absolutely cannot stand lotion either. I prefer choosing soap that is less drying. But if it gets to the point where it's full-on scaly and bleeding, I use lip balm. (For some reason, 'waxy' feels better than 'greasy'!)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 9:45 pm

Lotions make me feel like my skin is suffocating.
Oils are more tolerable, such as coconut.
It soaks in fast to my super dry skin.
I use coconut oil as 'soap' too.
And for sunscreen.
And for brushing my teeth.
For just about everything in fact.

Jojoba oil is better for oily skin, because it regulates oil production.
It's actually a wax, not an oil.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:25 pm

Raleigh wrote:
And for sunscreen.

I tried virgin coconut oil and yeah it is more tolerable than lotions. I still feel like I gotta rinse the excess off with water and dab dry with a towel. It is too thick to use on my face though. I never heard of Jojoba oil before. Is that what you use on your face?

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm

Ashariel wrote:

I absolutely cannot stand lotion either. I prefer choosing soap that is less drying. But if it gets to the point where it's full-on scaly and bleeding, I use lip balm. (For some reason, 'waxy' feels better than 'greasy'!)

Have you used lip balm on your face before? (Besides your lips).

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:40 pm

Noca wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
And for sunscreen.

I tried virgin coconut oil and yeah it is more tolerable than lotions. I still feel like I gotta rinse the excess off with water and dab dry with a towel. It is too thick to use on my face though. I never heard of Jojoba oil before. Is that what you use on your face?

I have used it on my face.
Another thing you could try is olive squalene.
Both of these oils imitate natural sebum, so they penetrate deeply into the skin.

rats_and_cats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 10:57 pm

I have no problem with lotion because I get seasonal eczema so it was kind of a necessity that I get used to it. However, I'm very particular about sunscreen, even though it's the same thing. I usually use the spray kind that dries quickly.

I don't put anything on my face except Noxzema. Lotion is uncomfortable and makes my face break out really bad. Aloe is fine when I have problem areas, but it feels like snot. They do make spray versions of aloe as well, however.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:40 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Noca wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
And for sunscreen.

I have used it on my face.
Another thing you could try is olive squalene.
Both of these oils imitate natural sebum, so they penetrate deeply into the skin.

Which one of the two smells less? Also I got dandruff too which I am not sure what to do about. I stopped shampooing my hair long ago and cut it short so it doesn't get too greasy. My scalp is really peeling. You use anything for your scalp?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2017, 11:51 pm

^ you could try coconut oil for your scalp.
It has antifungal properties.

And this may sound weird, but honey also works wonders.
I use honey mixed with a little baking soda for 'shampoo' and I haven't had any problems with dandruff that I had back in the days when I used shampoo.
If you use Manuka honey while your scalp is bad, even better.
I recently had horrible, weeping sores on my scalp (from treatment) and the Manuka honey cleared them up like magic.

Both olive squalene and jojoba have little smell (coconut oil is much smellier IMO).

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2017, 6:27 am

I have problems with both the feel and the smell of many lotions. The best one I've used is Aveeno Eczema Therapy. It has a less bothersome feel and less noticeable smell than anything else I've tried, though it's still not perfect.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 9:00 am

Noca wrote:
Ashariel wrote:

Have you used lip balm on your face before? (Besides your lips).

No, I realized afterward - that really only works for a small spot... Sometimes I'll get a rough, scaly patch on my finger (typically around the knuckles), and it gets the job done.

(Also, that awkward moment when you misquote a 90's movie, and realize half the forum wasn't even born then!)

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2017, 11:19 am

I don't like the feeling of lotions and am only really comfortable putting it on my hands. Even that used to be too much, until my hands started becoming chapped, cracking painfully and even in the winter. At first, the lotion was just the lesser of two evils but I've grown used to the feeling of it on my hands.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jan 2017, 1:06 pm

You should try a product called Eucerin which was developed to treat dry skin. It is not oily but more like a wax. I had terrible dry skin in my 20s and 30s and the key is to keep the moisture your body produces. A dermatologist told me once that it is not really possible to "moisturize" your skin as some products claim. Don't take hot showers and use a soap substitute.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 1:47 pm

i can just use one. It is a local company. I recommend looking in pharmacies for lotions or somewhere else and ask for one that is not very thick and fatty

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 2:49 pm

Lipikar, by la Roche Posay is very good. My dermatologist recommended it. It is thin, not greasey. It is expensive though. You can get it at Shoppers, in the women's cosmetic section rather than with general lotions. It sounds odd, but something like baby oil works on the scalp. With short hair it wouldn't look messy. Eucerin that was mentioned earlier is very good if you get excema.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2017, 3:42 pm

Yes, lotions feel terrible on my skin. I avoid them wherever possible. I spend most of summer hiding indoors because I can't stand putting sunscreen on. I can't stand make-up such as foundation and putting on deodorant makes my skin crawl (but I do it anyway...).