How many pages was your written assessment?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

How many pages was your written assessment?
0 (I was told about my diagnosis verbally) 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
1-5 pages 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
6-10 pages 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
11-15 pages 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
16-20 pages 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
21-25 pages 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
More than 25 pages 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2017, 7:08 pm

British musician Johnny Dean said on Jan. 17, 2015 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fqnfa4Ic0c ), that his written diagnostic assessment clocked in at "nineteen pieces of paper" (maybe his included sheet music). Some have marveled at the page count of their written assessments, wondering if more is better, or less is more.

So, I wonder: Since there is no clinical minimum or maximum limit to the number of written pages it takes to describe a client's diagnostic assessment, what is the average number among Wrong Planeteers?

Mine was a cathartic five pages (hat tip to the numerologists among us). I like that scores and thresholds gave way to personal and informative details, in my case.

Do you like your assessment's page count? Is it too wordy, or too brief? Does it say the wrong things, or the right things wrongly?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 2:01 am

I can't remember where mine is to check, but it was roughly 10 pages long.

The thing I found interesting with mine is that the first few pages were an essay/letter type report. They described me, my history, my reason for asking for diagnosis and outlined why I was diagnosed.

The remaining pages, to me, looked like numbered lists of all of the possible traits that are looked for during a diagnosis. They didn't look like they actually said which traits I'd showed at all. I thought she'd perhaps sent a blank copy and was supposed to have marked off which of the traits I showed. At that time, I didn't realise that my autism was outwardly obvious. I complained to my husband and said that I was upset she'd sent the wrong copy. He pointed out that actually, some numbers in the lists were skipped. That meant that the long list of traits on the pages were all traits that I, personally, had shown. There were just so many of them that I assumed it was the original list!

I found it useful and liked having it all to look through, but only the first couple of pages are really relevant. They're the pages that confirm the diagnosis, and can be given as evidence if needed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 3:08 am

15 Pages

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 5:33 am

I believe mine was about 2 pages, but certainly no longer than 3. I'd have to double-check, though.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 7:28 am

ArielsSong wrote:
...The thing I found interesting with mine is that the first few pages were an essay/letter type report. They described me, my history, my reason for asking for diagnosis and outlined why I was diagnosed.

The remaining pages, to me, looked like numbered lists of all of the possible traits that are looked for during a diagnosis. They didn't look like they actually said which traits I'd showed at all. I thought she'd perhaps sent a blank copy and was supposed to have marked off which of the traits I showed. At that time, I didn't realise that my autism was outwardly obvious. I complained to my husband and said that I was upset she'd sent the wrong copy. He pointed out that actually, some numbers in the lists were skipped. That meant that the long list of traits on the pages were all traits that I, personally, had shown....

I liked the essay parts. Having re-read my written assessment yesterday, I read that it stated that I "made occasional attempts to get, maintain, or direct the examiner's attention but these overtures were slightly unusual." "Slightly unusual"? No details were included, so I still don't know what I said or did that was so unusual. Hmm. Still, I like the overall descriptions.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 8:32 am

I've have accumulated a rather thick folder.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 8:43 am

If I had the assessment (it was done in 1964), I would be very glad. It would answer many questions.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 8:50 am

EzraS wrote:
I've have accumulated a rather thick folder.

Do you mean you have more than one written assessment? I wondered if I should have included a poll answer to include that possibility. Anyway, do you believe that your assessment(s) is accurate or missing the target in some ways?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 8:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If I had the assessment (it was done in 1964), I would be very glad. It would answer many questions.

A blank slate, then? Maybe you should write your own story (as much of it as can be concluded). :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 8:58 am

I had a therapist who had my progress report. I saw him from the age of 15 to age 20. I should have asked him for it after I turned 18.

He read me snippets of it, mostly saying that I had "no speech whatsoever" at age 4. He didn't read me anything about my behaviors at that time.

My mother has very little memory of that time--except for a few incidents of destructive behavior, which was the reason why she "couldn't take me anywhere." She remembered that I could count to 100 and read words before I spoke.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 9:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I had a therapist who had my progress report. I saw him from the age of 15 to age 20. I should have asked him for it after I turned 18.

He read me snippets of it, mostly saying that I had "no speech whatsoever" at age 4. He didn't read me anything about my behaviors at that time.

My mother has very little memory of that time--except for a few incidents of destructive behavior, which was the reason why she "couldn't take me anywhere." She remembered that I could count to 100 and read words before I spoke.

That's a great start! Write down your memories and those of others. If we don't remember our lives, who will?

I can't imagine you having "no speech whatsoever." More likely, with apologies to Paul McCartney, "you were only waiting for [your] moment to arise." :wink:

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 9:28 am

I have no idea how many pages my assessments were/are. I saw multiple people during that time. I'm not sure that I ever bothered to look at any of the things people wrote about me. I was more than overwhelmed during that time in life and it simply would not have occurred to me to ask and look. My best guess about pages would be, a lot. But that would only be because I saw more than one person on more than one occasion for this stuff. It just seems as though it would add up is all.

Side note kinda related... OP, you put a smile on my head for the numerology talk. I happen to be a fan of five as well.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 9:47 am

dossa wrote:
...Side note kinda related... OP, you put a smile on my head for the numerology talk. I happen to be a fan of five as well.

Hehe. I knew someone would notice that! I amn't interested in numerology that much, but I see patterns in numbers. It fascinates me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 10:12 am

There have been instances of people, who exhibited classical autistic symptoms and delayed speech, becoming "Aspergian" in presentation, with "normal" speech by early school age.

One of these instances was presented via "Elijah's Cup," whose title character exhibited the above pattern, and became independent (though underemployed) in adulthood.

Temple Grandin might fit this description as well.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 11:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There have been instances of people, who exhibited classical autistic symptoms and delayed speech, becoming "Aspergian" in presentation, with "normal" speech by early school age.

One of these instances was presented via "Elijah's Cup," whose title character exhibited the above pattern, and became independent (though underemployed) in adulthood.

Temple Grandin might fit this description as well.

I attribute my selective-mutism and social impairments to this kind of learning. At age 16 years, I had a friend who helped me learn to communicate and socialize. Like Grandin's mother, my friend used gentle persuasion. It must have worked. After all, I have no problem with either now.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2017, 11:42 am

Mine was 20 pages. 7 of those 20 pages were raw scores from testing.