Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Theshoeguy1020
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jan 2017, 7:22 am

Hi everyone,

I am newly diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, and I have entertained the idea of removing myself from social media because I fear it is having a more negative impact on me than a positive one. On the one hand, I think social media is a good way to stay connected with old and new friends, but at somewhat of a distance, which is what I prefer. On the other hand, people are so savage on social media that I often get frustrated within ten minutes of logging on because everyone will jump at the opportunity to attack somebody else. Even if they're not attacking me, I just cannot stand some of the things people will say to other people, people who are complete strangers to them. It's disgusting!

Just looking for anyone's opinion on the matter

PIgeek
Raven
Raven

31 Jan 2017, 8:49 am

hi
i think they might be a good thing but there there is so much hate! it seem people enjoy it, why!?
it scares me a bit because i always try to be kind and polite. i mean, they don't know anything about someone, his/her face, his/her family and ideas and they judge a whole life just because of opinions. i am disgusted too!
however there are some good pages on facebook where people share ideas politely :)

sorry about my english

and the white knight is talking backwards
and the red queen is off with her head
remember what the dormouse said
feed your head, feed your head"

White rabbit -
Jefferson Airplane

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 10:20 pm

If you really feel the need for it, just be stingy about the information you share. If it's something you couldn't say to everyone, it may be better not to type it to them either.

You should judge what you're willing to tolerate. If people start being hateful, there's always something more worthy of your time elsewhere. Drawing, music, movies/games... so much other stuff. :)

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Feb 2017, 7:08 am

social media as always helped. its my way of meeting people and making friends. i have a hard meeting people in person so i use twitter, YouTube and other social media to make friends.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 8:18 am

I found it useful over time to make use of commands like "Unfollow" when people posted the sneaky snide posts which look innocent but are there vto drip feed the growth in resentments against people owing yo where or how they worship, where in the world their family tree roots land and so forth.

I found my own mood improved with brief checking in on the feeds, looking for chances to put pleasant comments into someone's post, especially if I had chosen not to Follow them.

Big arguments on such services often don't end well, so I tended to plant the of Point of Information and then leave the argument to run its course out of my way.

I become increasingly wary of the services, Facebook especially. Facebook is owned now by shareholder needing dividend income. Because it is free to subscribe, Facebook has to make its income by selling advertising to be put on subscribers pages and collect lots of information which is saleable or which allows advertising to be carefully targeted.

I seem happiest if I check briefly every other day or so.

I observe that the Buddha went off on retreat when the small community of followers had a big argument on points of prinviplevand came back when the arguments and disputes had run their course and burnt themselves out.

I also like browsing Facebook from a different, dedicated user account on my computer, which stops scripts on the page racing stored cookies for information.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Feb 2017, 8:28 am

I never liked it but I lost all my social capital too so shows what it does I guess. It's humiliating honestly, why would I want to be on social media for people to laugh at my life?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 12:22 pm

Discussion forums are the only form of social media I participate in.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 7:50 pm

I have quit all social media, unless this counts. I could never get a decent discussion going except on listservs.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2017, 8:09 pm

Whenever I check out my Facebook page, which is rarely, I feel my blood pressure go up. I don't understand what the big deal is with social media. I guess that's because I have Asperger's. I do find my self coming back to WrongPlanet time and time again.