Constant feeling of being invalid ...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

north404
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Feb 2017, 3:04 pm

Not even necessarily just by other people's treatment towards me; but also because I recognize how delusional I can get with comforting lies I tell myself.

I acknowledge I have a warped way of thinking and it just makes me sick of myself. I feel like an invalid person because I don't trust myself; forget my issues/frustration with not being able to get along with society - I understand that the problem is really me.

There's been a breakthrough of some sort in my mind recently that's been letting me see the light/the truth. I'm not trying to sound "pompous" or whatever with this, and I know I'm fairly young compared to most members in this community, but I truly believe there's no future for me. I just can't adjust to society's standards without drawing some outward attention that retroactively marks me as someone to be wary of.. which in turn makes me feel even worse about myself, and causes me to further shut down.

I avoid a lot of things because I feel I'm not worthy of them; whether it be networking, applying for jobs (just the actual act of applying anywhere!) & getting potential interviews, making friends, etc. I find it impossible for me to sell myself as someone people would want around.

Does anyone understand what I'm talking about? I know my writing is sloppy and all over the place; yet another flaw of mine, incoherent thoughts.

Last edited by north404 on 19 Feb 2017, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

19 Feb 2017, 3:17 pm

I do understand this. When I was younger this feeling was overwhelming. It calms with age. Though even now I have trouble selling myself. I learned to just kind of lie. Even if you don't believe these things, take the good things others say about you and go with that. Certainly you have some outstanding qualities. Focus on those. Maybe your self esteem is a little low right now.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2017, 6:15 pm

Trying to sell myself makes me feel very uncomfortable.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Stoic0209
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2017, 10:22 am

Same here, I suck at selling myself. Interviews go better than they used to, but I feel the jobs I get are because another body is needed, not due to my skills.

Quiet Water
Raven
Raven

21 Feb 2017, 6:01 pm

I think my similar feeling's getting worse with age, but physical health may also be a factor in my case.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2017, 1:55 pm

I feel inadequate with certain things that are really simple and obvious to most people. I've also felt invalidated by other people for most of my life. When feel like someone is treating me that way I just try to stay distant from them, if I can.

Maybe with job interviews you could try to think of some qualities you might have or what other people might say you have and then rehearse them before the interview. You could also watch job interview videos or look up interview questions for the company you're applying for.

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2017, 2:07 pm

I think most if not all of us will be able to understand and empathize with that kind of frustration. This world is not designed for us to fit in very well yet. Despite how open minded a lot of people are it's still frustrating to feel secluded and alone. I spent many years alone and isolated. I slowly worked my way into social life by playing mmo's and later found company through other interests that were socially oriented. You have a good start here to help get by and if there's anything I can do to help feel free to let me know.