Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 8:24 pm

Hippygoth wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
If they're "higher functioning", I really don't feel sorry for them. I've been getting through life decently as of now and I always have been.

I'm glad for you, but many 'higher functioning' people have serious struggles. I myself found school to be very difficult, and the workplace even more so. Every day is difficult.

I agree with both these points, assuming "higher functioning" was a vague substitute for "one who is at most very mildly affected in any given area". Even at that though, one person's "mild" is only one person's mild.

The Unleasher
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2017, 8:57 pm

Exuvian wrote:
Hippygoth wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:
If they're "higher functioning", I really don't feel sorry for them. I've been getting through life decently as of now and I always have been.

I'm glad for you, but many 'higher functioning' people have serious struggles. I myself found school to be very difficult, and the workplace even more so. Every day is difficult.

I agree with both these points, assuming "higher functioning" was a vague substitute for "one who is at most very mildly affected in any given area". Even at that though, one person's "mild" is only one person's mild.

I wasn't even considering the view point of others. How insensitive of me, my bad. I'd say my autism helps me as much as it harms me. But that's just me. Other people would want to be an NT in a heartbeat. Some others have taken years to get over their problems.

citoyenlambda
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2017, 5:00 am

The Unleasher wrote:
Exuvian wrote:
Hippygoth wrote:
The Unleasher wrote:

I wasn't even considering the view point of others. How insensitive of me, my bad. I'd say my autism helps me as much as it harms me. But that's just me. Other people would want to be an NT in a heartbeat. Some others have taken years to get over their problems.

You're 14. You'll be plenty acquainted with these differing viewpoints in a few years' time.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 11:16 pm

...It could go two ways..........

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 11:14 am

I do but don't feel sorry for kids with Autism. I do because they always seem like they get bullied and always get taken advantage of. Or is that just me? I'm probably bullied. But it's usually by being teased or being naive. But why I don't feel sorry for kids is because Autism isn't a bad thing to have at all. It's a good thing. You shouldn't be let down for it.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 11:22 am

I feel sorry for them only because they (we) have to live in a society that isn't designed for them and often doesn't accept them, not because of who they are. As I was telling my 9-year-old AS son a couple of hours ago, if 99% of the people in the world were midgets, then "normal" people would be complaining they they couldn't fit into cars, were always having to bend down to reach things, and so on.