The Autism Separatism Discussion Thread

Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

neuroadvanced
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2017, 8:19 pm

Very disappointed by what I'm reading. Where is the commitment, the resolve to move the autistic race forward? Are you all content to wither away and waste what we've been given? neurotypicals have failed. Nature is giving humanity a chance. The ball is in our court now. Either unite or extinction. Pick one.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 8:29 pm

neuroadvanced wrote:
Very disappointed by what I'm reading. Where is the commitment, the resolve to move the autistic race forward? Are you all content to wither away and waste what we've been given? neurotypicals have failed. Nature is giving humanity a chance. The ball is in our court now. Either unite or extinction. Pick one.

Gosh, you sound exactly like this other person. Go read the thread "Why is Autism Speaks considered to be an evil organization." I think you'll meet someone there who has similar views. Like Ezra said, autism isn't the next step in human evolution. It's a disorder. It interferes with people's lives. We should try to accept it, but we shouldn't lose our heads here. I'm so amazed by what your views are. How can you think that? I'm just curious..... :)

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 8:30 pm

It is a disorder. Not to be hated, not to be fixed...but tolerated and accommodated for in a realistic manner.
End of.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 8:42 pm

Advancements in evolution generally involve changes that increase the chance of procreation. Given autism is the exact opposite of that I can't see how anyone could consider it to be an advancement in evolution.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 9:04 pm

Back in the early 60's, England had two main youth gangs - the Mods and the Rockers, and they often clashed as if they were football fans for rival teams. The Mods dressed in fancy clothes, and never did sport. The Rockers rode big motorcycles, and wore leather with chains and various weaponry, etc. Let us compare the two groups to NTs and Aspies of superior intelligence. The Rockers were obviously far more formidable in a fight. However they always lost, because they were vastly outnumbered.
Never underestimate the power of stupidity. It is harder to build than to destroy. I can't begin to count the number of arguments I've won, but nobody else present could tell.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 9:17 pm

Attention, wowdy webbles!

It is I, your weevewed wee-deemow!

Genius Messiah of the Autistic Ewa!

Bow before me, your wuwa!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 10:00 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
It is a disorder. Not to be hated, not to be fixed...but tolerated and accommodated for in a realistic manner.
End of.

^this

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 10:47 pm

The original poster only made two posts on this thread and never returned to this thread he started. In fact those two posts are the only two posts he has ever made on WP.

So the OP is for practical purposes, a troll.

neuroadvanced
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2017, 3:28 am

TheSpectrum wrote:
End of.

Then Homosexuality is a disorder. Two men can't reproduce. You have to have an egg. There is no way to produce offspring. Yet it's not in the DSM. Wonder why? so we will cherry pick which "natural variations" are disorders and which are not. Convenient.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 4:00 am

So how does your autism is the next step in human evolution superior being theory, explain people like me who are severely f****d up because of autism?

neuroadvanced
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2017, 4:13 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The original poster only made two posts on this thread and never returned to this thread he started. In fact those two posts are the only two posts he has ever made on WP.

So the OP is for practical purposes, a troll.

I'm not a troll at all. I'm an autistic person who wants to see the right advancements made. I want to help you all. I wanted to keep the discussion going before but I can barely stand reading this website. I honestly don't see how you all can spend so much time on here reading these posts. The self hate and misery on here is unbearable. I wanted to put some money into the cause of helping us all but we can't even agree on basic aspects of what autism is. This site will just make autistic people feel worse about themselves.

I'm of majority Nigerian descent (a "black" person). I'm sure it will be controversial to say this but I honestly see many parallels between being autistic in America today and the plight of black people in the historical past. I'm sure that if the internet existed in the 1960's, there would of been a website just like this one. "wrongrace.com" where black people got together and self loathed about being black just as you all do on here with having autism. Stop it. If we want to, we can move past where we are at right now. My ancestors (I know for a fact that i'm descended from slaves) overcame being chained to trees and treated like animals. To being segregated and denied equal education.
Yet, here I am 200 years later with a nice house, money, and a good life. Their perseverance has paid off. So can ours.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. I do understand that some of us are low functioning autistic people. It's because autism is not a fully developed thing yet. We have to suffer today, for the autistic people of the future. In the future autistic people won't have to go through what we face today. People might of got their hands blown off trying to invent grenades, but eventually they did it. There is no one way to be. Autism is not a disorder.

neuroadvanced
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2017, 4:21 am

EzraS wrote:
So how does your autism is the next step in human evolution superior being theory, explain people like me who are severely f****d up because of autism?

I'm sorry that you are low functioning. It's really simple to understand. It's because Autism is still in the early stages of development, and thus there will be issues. As an analogy, let's say I am building a new rocket design. After I finalize my design I will have to do some preliminary testing before I move forward with production. The first rocket I build might blow up on the launch pad (you) because I got something wrong. It could take years to refine my design, and in the process building rockets that explode in the air instead of making it into space (low functioning autistic people) before I get it right.

Vex
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2017, 4:39 am

Superior or evolution is the wrong word to use. I think autism is archetypal difference at a fundamental level, be it personality, spiritualtiy or whatever but thats just my personal experiences. As someone with HFA i feel like autistic people have common issues they face, and more often than not diagnosed by the traits associated with the disorder part of autism.... however if you learn to effectively deal with this disorder you're still left with an autistic person, and as ive learned coping mechanisms there are some traits im grateful to have, nor do i no longer wish i was "neurotypical". I do also feel people are more often negative about autism than not, people on or off the spectrum... but then again im more than aware than my experiences with autism and life are not shared by others nor should i expect them to be. Our opinions are nothing more than that and relative perspective is the only absolute thing we hold.

At no point do i believe that "we" nor anyone else is superior in any way overall. The way i see it as humans we are all good and bad at things and we all have something to contribute. Some humans face more struggles than others but thats not relegated solely to ASD and we all have $10 to spend.... I just chose to spend $2 on social skills and emotional range and used the rest of the money on single focused interests, scifi's and gaming lol... others are far more balanced.

For what its worth my experiences has also been that passive aggressiveness just gets people on the back foot denying you of ever getting whatever point you wanted to get across.... Saying you're sorry that someone is low functioning for example.

Last edited by Vex on 31 Jul 2017, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 4:47 am

neuroadvanced wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I'm sorry that you are low functioning. It's really simple to understand. It's because Autism is still in the early stages of development, and thus there will be issues. As an analogy, let's say I am building a new rocket design. After I finalize my design I will have to do some preliminary testing before I move forward with production. The first rocket I build might blow up on the launch pad (you) because I got something wrong. It could take years to refine my design, and in the process building rockets that explode in the air instead of making it into space (low functioning autistic people) before I get it right.

Actually I'm more in the mid functioning range.

Your theory seems to be that autism is supposed to be super high functioning and those below that range are an anomaly. But I think you have that backwards. I think people like you are the anomaly when it comes to autism. I tend to wonder why uber types like you are diagnosed with autism in the first place. The people you see here who are suffering and struggling actually have autism. That's the part I think you're getting wrong. What you have must be something else that was called "high functioning autism" by mistake.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 5:39 am

neuroadvanced wrote:
There is light at the end of the tunnel. I do understand that some of us are low functioning autistic people. It's because autism is not a fully developed thing yet. We have to suffer today, for the autistic people of the future. In the future autistic people won't have to go through what we face today. People might of got their hands blown off trying to invent grenades, but eventually they did it. There is no one way to be. Autism is not a disorder.

How do you propose to "fully develop this thing?" If you expect Aspies to be a master "race" do you plan for an elected or a forced change of leadership? I presume that you are not expecting to use guile, having posted in public. Elsewhere, I have seen "self-hating" applied to normally reasonable, empathic people by egomaniacs who consider themselves normal but can't make friends.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2017, 6:06 am

I don't get this "superior" "master race" thing.

Because, even so-called "high functioning" aspies (of which I'm one) usually have impairments bad enough to them that life is difficult for them at even their level of operation.

The whole thing about diagnosis criteria is "impairment" -- at whatever level. Impairment by its nature is never a superior or fun thing. NOT saying it's inferior either -- it's just what it is. It just "is" itself. Impairments. We need a world that understands and maybe assists when it can. We're not better or worse, just "are."

Yes some may have some very positive upsides to their autism too, such as savant talents or memory feats or extraordinary analytical brains.

But mostly the impairments make life very challenging at every level of autism and every level of what society expects of anyone, at any level.

And at each level of severity of autism, there are different levels of impairment but which still have to be considered problematic enough within the general functioning of that individual to gain a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder.

All I know for myself personally is that the impairments, even though mine are "milder" than those with more severe autism, make me feel more like it sucks to be this way rather than wow I'm in a new master race. . .

I'm just interested in getting through my life with the impairments and assets I have to work with, and it's not a picnic.