25 Mar 2017, 11:27 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
FreakyZettairyouiki wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Yeah can I ask if this is okay but what did your dad experience in the workplace. I would be interested to learn more about this problem with over political correctness.

For privacy reasons I don't want to be so specific, but he dealt with this racist guy, and he sued his workplace. He left the place and then people at the new job found out about his lawsuit and they started flipping out like crazy even though he had a good work history and this happened YEARS ago. Anything involving race, especially a minority suing, is enough to give white people (not ALL) nightmares. Plus with me I've had people apologizing for using the word "black", using the word "slave" or referring to the color of my skin and then instantly apologizing. The first incident involved my teacher in front of the entire class. To this day I am like wtf woman???
That's sad to hear. Must have taken allot of courage for your dad to do that and that is admirable.

Its kind of weird. Correct me if I am wrong but sometimes I wonder whether people who are overly politically correct don't have experience interacting with people of different races and as a result do not know what is appropriate or not. What do you think?

That's a major factor as I grew up in a mostly white area and I was the only black kid in my elementary and middle school class. Some guy literally saw my sisters walking around the neighborhood once asked them where they were from because he never saw any black people around there. Plus you see all this stuff on the news and then if you're a white liberal you'll feel all this intense guilt.
Why do so many people subscribe to being this politically correct I wonder.

Are you from New England just asking?

What made you suspect I am from NE? Also I think it's because white people are so ashamed to be associated with the racist label because literally it will ruin your reputation if you are accused of it and potentially your career. I remember the scandal with Ben Affleck a few years ago when he tried to hide his slave ancestry. Dude, you are not responsible for what your ancestors did! His reaction to this was insulting and ridiculous. He had to make a whole Facebook post about it when people found out about what he did and it just sounds so cheesy and corny and overdramatic. If you had just owned up to it, people like me wouldn't still be talking about it today. Makes me wanna bash my head into a wall. :roll: :roll:

New England: Very liberal but most of the people their are White Europeans. It was just a guess.

Thanks for telling me. Jesus Christ Ben Affleck sounds like he got hysterical, he also seems to be the kind of person that wants to fit into a box of being a good-tolerant liberal. I saw that in an interview he did about Islam. It strikes me as being really strange he thought he was going to get judged harshly for his ancestry. I guess he just didn't want people to associate him with bad things that happened throughout history.

NE is correct. Hate the weather....and some of the people.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:29 pm

That's pretty much my situation with many times running after a bus I'll never catch.....

Yet reading this made me feel better about withdrawing socially.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:31 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Yeah can I ask if this is okay but what did your dad experience in the workplace. I would be interested to learn more about this problem with over political correctness.

For privacy reasons I don't want to be so specific, but he dealt with this racist guy, and he sued his workplace. He left the place and then people at the new job found out about his lawsuit and they started flipping out like crazy even though he had a good work history and this happened YEARS ago. Anything involving race, especially a minority suing, is enough to give white people (not ALL) nightmares. Plus with me I've had people apologizing for using the word "black", using the word "slave" or referring to the color of my skin and then instantly apologizing. The first incident involved my teacher in front of the entire class. To this day I am like wtf woman???
That's sad to hear. Must have taken allot of courage for your dad to do that and that is admirable.

Its kind of weird. Correct me if I am wrong but sometimes I wonder whether people who are overly politically correct don't have experience interacting with people of different races and as a result do not know what is appropriate or not. What do you think?

That's a major factor as I grew up in a mostly white area and I was the only black kid in my elementary and middle school class. Some guy literally saw my sisters walking around the neighborhood once asked them where they were from because he never saw any black people around there. Plus you see all this stuff on the news and then if you're a white liberal you'll feel all this intense guilt.

What made you suspect I am from NE? Also I think it's because white people are so ashamed to be associated with the racist label because literally it will ruin your reputation if you are accused of it and potentially your career. I remember the scandal with Ben Affleck a few years ago when he tried to hide his slave ancestry. Dude, you are not responsible for what your ancestors did! His reaction to this was insulting and ridiculous. He had to make a whole Facebook post about it when people found out about what he did and it just sounds so cheesy and corny and overdramatic. If you had just owned up to it, people like me wouldn't still be talking about it today. Makes me wanna bash my head into a wall. :roll: :roll:

New England: Very liberal but most of the people their are White Europeans. It was just a guess.

Thanks for telling me. Jesus Christ Ben Affleck sounds like he got hysterical, he also seems to be the kind of person that wants to fit into a box of being a good-tolerant liberal. I saw that in an interview he did about Islam. It strikes me as being really strange he thought he was going to get judged harshly for his ancestry. I guess he just didn't want people to associate him with bad things that happened throughout history.

Cool what state though?

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Mar 2017, 11:40 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Cool what state though?

I can only give you a hint. It's one of the most liberal states in NE and this past US election in this state shows that NE is not really as liberal as you think it is. And it rhymes with Massachusetts

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:44 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:
Shahunshah wrote:

Cool what state though?

I can only give you a hint. It's one of the most liberal states in NE and this past US election in this state shows that NE is not really as liberal as you think it is. And it rhymes with Massachusetts
Maine? Lol I'm not sure if it rhymes with Massachusetts but it's my best guess.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:21 am

I've been traversing the sewers of society for a long time, even before I descended I had only been able to tread water all my life, I know about what you reference but the last few years I have came across neurotypicals who have wanted to help and guide me from the other side of the divide. I have also met good souls along my way between splashing through ten tons of **** and all kinds of muck, some have hurt me and held my difficulties against me but that does not mean they are not valuable and merely part of the clan of gargling gargoyles who have folk like us pinned on their noticeboards of doom... there are plenty of useful humans, not as much as useless (to us) but still enough to want to persist and keep yourself open and try to find the rays of pleasant illumination to alleviate the constant assault by those other howling henchmen!

FreakyZettairyouiki
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Mar 2017, 3:56 pm

DancingCorpse wrote:
I've been traversing the sewers of society for a long time, even before I descended I had only been able to tread water all my life, I know about what you reference but the last few years I have came across neurotypicals who have wanted to help and guide me from the other side of the divide. I have also met good souls along my way between splashing through ten tons of **** and all kinds of muck, some have hurt me and held my difficulties against me but that does not mean they are not valuable and merely part of the clan of gargling gargoyles who have folk like us pinned on their noticeboards of doom... there are plenty of useful humans, not as much as useless (to us) but still enough to want to persist and keep yourself open and try to find the rays of pleasant illumination to alleviate the constant assault by those other howling henchmen!

Interesting how you describe it. Deep! :lol:

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 3:58 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
No, you're fine.
Good to know, just wanted to make sure.

Do you think conservatives, at least most of them, purposely do that though? It just seems off to me. Maybe they actually think that minorities fighting against each other is what's causing racism, but purposely pitting us against each other? Hmm. Also I am also an Aspie of color and personally for the first half of my life, I was struggling more with my racial identity than my AS. I grew up ina homogenous white town and while I did experience subtle racism, and I'm sure some of it went over my head, I actually experienced the extreme end of the spectrum. I've met white people that tried to be so overly politically correct that they just end up looking foolish or embarassing me in the process from friends to teachers. it makes me feel as if being black is bad mark or something. Like I can't be treated as normal because the minute you see me you will think of slavery. It makes me shudder when I imagine myself with white friends because I can't help feeling so out of place. I'm different and we all know I'm diffeent. I know no one is color blind and part of me is wondering what a white person is thinking when they talk to me. My dad recently told me about some discrimination he faced at work years ago and it made me cry and I was honestly scared. I am also from the north and it breaks my heart because my dad has also suffered from white people being so scared to be politically incorrect in the workplace and it's just annoying. I understand my race was oppressed historically but you don't need to patronize me for it. You might as well tell me"you're successful for a black person."
By pitting minorities against each other, I mean using "model minorities" as an example to prove that systemic and societal racism doesn't exist in general, especially against other minorities. It is even used to dismiss racism against "model minorities" by using "success" as a rationale. It can be done on purpose as a divide and conquer strategy, but it is also the logical conclusion of conservative ideology itself when it comes to meritocracy, family values, etc.

I know what you mean by the over the top political correctness and it is strange how they don't even realize that they're singling minorities out by being so weird about it. I've mostly noticed this in predominantly white areas and it's either that (over the top PC), blatantly ignorant questions/comments, or a mix of both :lol:. I'm not black so it was much more overt and people were only superficially PC towards me at best, but the veil was still thin enough towards blacks for me to notice that they were genuinely ignorant at best and bigoted at worst. In diverse areas the racism tends to be more covert but at the same time the white folks who interact with minorities on a regular basis can be genuinely in touch with us.

By the way, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your father. Things would be much simpler if minorities weren't seen as either entirely threatening or non-threatening.