Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 10:49 pm

This might apply more to people over 40. Do you find yourself overwhelmed by the demands of all the new social networking sites and services? First email, then Facebook, then Twitter, etc, etc... now it seems people are trying to reach you all the time, day and night, in a dozen ways, and they expect an immediate response, especially if it's for work. Sometimes I have trouble even replying to emails, and the rest of it is maddening--like having a crowd of people talking at me at the same time. Maybe some NTs also have this problem but, like other kinds of over-stimulation, I think it may be especially hard for AS people.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 3:23 am

I've never liked interruptions, so I can't imagine wanting Twitter. Most of my listserv friends vanished when Facebook came in, but I never got a reply from that "service" so I quit. I haven't even sorted out my telephone (wired) so it rings - all I get is email. I keep up with that pretty well. The variety of information and entertainment on the 'net is still overwhelming. I can't focus on projects like I could with a BASIC-only computer and a library card, or a laptop in the woods, offline.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2017, 3:51 am

I can definitely agree with you.
I don´t have Facebook anymore, I just felt very lonely when I start to compair myself with others.
It get´s so obvious that you are not a social person, I have 10 friends on instagram,
the "normal people" have over 100 and that´s "too little" in many eyes.
I am on the other hand not false, so I don´t want 50 so called friends that I never talk to anymore.
I feel mostly stressed about it all but when family lives far away I feel like I want to see what they are doing,
and they want to see me as well. But Facebook is the biggest depressing site ever I think,
I have never liked it. It´s just for really social, party, family-people.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2017, 3:17 pm

I won't sign up to Facebook. Twitter - I used to post a few photos (taken on a proper camera) to showcase a hobby of mine. Soon stopped when I realised it was pointless.

General internet use. Amazon, eBay, ABEBooks, two forums (three if this one is included), maintain hobby website and that is about it for me. Occasionally search other sites; Wikipedia etc.

I can see Facebook being useful to keep in contact with distant family members - I can always email them and attach photos. Would I want to share stuff with work colleagues and strangers? Errrrr. Nope.

Keigan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2017, 3:24 pm

I don't use the social sites, my time and privacy are too important to me.

I have a personal email for my friends, a professional one for work and a garbage one for Amazon and other sites that I never read the emails. My friends know to not add my personal email address to any lists or third party sites.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

I do use Facebook but primarily to maintain contact with my girlfriend.

I also do use an email address but only for school-related purposes.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 6:43 pm

I use email reluctantly. I have Facebook but use it only for calling / messaging my wife, who's often in other countries. For work, I also need another messaging service (Line) that's popular where I am. And that's too much. The worst thing is people I haven't seen me for years tracking me down on Facebook and asking to be added to my "friends". If we didn't like each other thirty years ago, why would we now?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 7:38 pm

I'm a confessed Facebook user, but I mainly use it to play games.

Hippygoth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Mar 2017, 8:31 am

I love the internet...I avoid most of the social networking stuff as it's not for me. I do have Facebook because I use the message service and like some of the 'pages', but that's it. I have most of my 'friends' on ignore so I'm not having to put up with any of the 'this was my lunch today!' nonsense. Plus I don't have a smart phone so none of it is coming at me constantly, only when I choose to put on the computer.

I like email a lot - much better than having to use the phone. And I have a blog which allows me to pursue my main interest. Online shopping has been a huge relief - no more going into town to get stuff. I was able to get rid of my TV because of the internet - I have Netflix which is far cheaper than paying for a TV license.

And I wouldn't have my part-time job if I didn't have the internet - can't do it without it.