Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:31 pm

I friggin' HATE Gamestop. Nowhere to sit down, slow and clueless employees, loud commercials for their own store, I could go on but it's not an environment for me. I usually get dragged there by someone who claims to be making a "Quick visit" which averages out to 45 minutes. It's really a store for Narcissists masquerading as a "geek haven" - all I ever see in there are 15-year-old boys buying sports games or Call Of Duty.

Back to my original point: I haven't had an interest in gaming since probably the early 1990s. I have a couple of apps on my phone but none of them have to do with crushing candy, jamming cookies, playing big fish slots, shooting zombies or cashing some girl ousside. I'd rather be welding, playing guitar, messing with my birds or my mom's Whippet, watching old races at Riverside International Raceway, tinkering in the garage, rummaging the aisles at a thrift shop, pulling weeds out of the lawn or going out on a long ride.

Maybe it's my problem that I was exposed to a lot of diverse influences or I wasn't a Netizen until my mid-30s, but I like to spend time outside as much as holing up with a laptop and a bag of Cheetos. I would love to have a town where anything after 1990 is not allowed past the entry point

antnego
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Mar 2017, 12:08 am

I wasted around 28 years of my life on video games. My entire childhood and adolescence revolved around Nintendo. WoW took about a good three years of my life as well. I lost interest when I started asking myself this: Do I want the only accomplishments of my life to be a high kill/death ratio on Black Ops or a Tier 13 set? Will I even care in 20 years?

I still play occasionally, but it's usually short sessions of old classic games or Final Fantasy on the iPhone. I get bored playing video games after a short time.

Instead, I tend to spend lots of time online researching things that most people don't care about :roll: :lol:

My neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 82 of 200

I am very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:20 am

I'm with the OP 100%.

Can't see the attraction of it.
I've tried games to improve my memory, cognition etc. but I lose interest very quickly.
I'd rather go weed the garden, or a thousand other things.
Even when I post here I don't sit in front of a screen.
I'm doing loads of other stuff at the same time.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:36 am

I got it all out of my system when the only video arcade in Toronto was the waiting room at Ed's Spaghetti Factory. They had "Tanks," the second video game written after "Pong." I must have gone down there with a friend three or four times. Since then, I figure it is just the same thing with fancier graphics. If I notice myself playing solitaire, it usually means that I'm trying to figure out something like deciding if I should trash my life and try again elsewhere.

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2017, 3:10 am

We didn't have a computer at my school and I didn't touch one until 1991 when I bought myself a secondhand C64 and then several Amigas but would rather do other stuff with them, like programming, graphics and music than playing games. I went to college as a mature student and studied computer science and have worked in IT ever since.

Back in the early 80s I did play video games in the arcades and was very good at the original Star Wars (I could clock it!) and Battle Zone. I played on and off when I got into computing but never obsessively and, like you, would rather spend time outdoors, camping and hiking.

Several years ago I bought a PS3 for the family and sometimes I would play a game (I liked big sand box games like Fallout, Skyrim and Minecraft) obsessively for a week or so and then not play any games for several months. I've not played online as playing with people I do not know would be weird, although I did used to like the odd LAN game of Half-Life or Quake2 with friends. When I did play games it would be in a strange, AS fashion: I would dig huge square mines in Minecraft and would get upset if the mine walls were not perfect and of the same material. I would have to pick everything up in Skyrim and Fallout, including baskets, plungers and tin cans :)

I haven't touched a game in a couple of years and I don't miss it very much.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 5:09 am

I never liked video games much because I've always been really bad at them. But I play Lord of the Rings Online. As one person described it, "you could play it blindfolded with your tongue, it's so easy".

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 6:01 am

I love video games although I don't play as much as I used to , I've had and still have most of the game consoles out there , I've never progressed past the xbox 360 & PS3 consoles due to money , I'd love an Xbox 1 or PS4 although I'd prefer to wait until they get hacked and you can play back ups :wink: I have about 20 terabytes of games and there's plenty of games I haven't played but I'm a bit of a digital hoarder and would rather have it and don't use it than not have it at all. Every once in a while a game comes out and completely sucks me in to the detriment of RL , I'm a huge fan of the Assassins Creed series.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 6:40 am

Real life is only for people who can't face Xbox!

The OP is obviously a sicko who prefers real life!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kidding aside- I am glad to hear that not all young folks are caught up in this computer games subculture.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 7:43 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Real life is only for people who can't face Xbox!

The OP is obviously a sicko who prefers real life!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kidding aside- I am glad to hear that not all young folks are caught up in this computer games subculture.

I think if computer games didn't exist and geekiness became more acceptable my social inadequacies would of a been noticed a lot sooner .

mebradhen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2017, 8:36 am

As a gamedev I total see where you are coming from. Some use gaming to eescape reality but wedding the garden is more useful.

Side rant.
I love game development. But bloody hell it's hard. Firstly got to make the game, mange feedback, advertising, Good old death threats from angry gamers becouse your game douse not meet there wants... lovely. The games I make are free and therefor they are not paying money.

i've never know anyone like me ,so friendly PM's are always welcome :).

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 11:42 am

I love video games. I'm particular about my games, but very much into the ones that hook me.
I also love board, card and dice games.

Raleigh wrote:
I'm with the OP 100%.

I've tried games to improve my memory, cognition etc. but I lose interest very quickly.
Well, if those are the only games you've played, then I certainly understand why you didn't like it, because games that are made to do that are boring.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:00 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I love video games. I'm particular about my games, but very much into the ones that hook me.
I also love board, card and dice games.

Raleigh wrote:
I'm with the OP 100%.

Well, if those are the only games you've played, then I certainly understand why you didn't like it, because games that are made to do that are boring.

I even find those games fun e.g. Brain Exercise with Dr. Kawashima.

If I do have ASD then my special interest is staring at an LED screen ( games , surfing , making music , research )

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

I don't like games. Never understood why gaming should be a cool thing.

They're by NO means the only alternative reality. There are movies, books, animations and also you can write, draw or animate yourself new worlds too. You can even just daydream.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:42 pm

I'm sure that if I got into games and out again, I'd be kicking myself for another waste of time, like binge-watching Gilligan's Island. These things are designed to be addictive, and should not be played while the real planet is burning under us.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:47 pm

I collect classic video games and their systems (from 1975 to 2010), yet hardly ever have the time to play them. Just yesterday, I picked up a complete copy of Final Fantasy VII (4 disks) for the PS1 for $0.49 out of a local thrift store. It was misplaced, mixed in with music cds.

mebradhen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2017, 3:19 pm

Same.

You got a NEO GEO?

i've never know anyone like me ,so friendly PM's are always welcome :).