Study Finds Big Differences In Autism Rates By Community

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 8:23 am

Disability Scoop

Quote:
While the developmental disability is estimated to affect less than 2% of children nationwide, rates in parts of New Jersey are nearly 7% or higher, according to findings published recently in the journal Autism Research.

Researchers took an in-depth look at the number of children with autism in four New Jersey counties that include 76 school districts. They combed special education records and those from hospital-based developmental centers to identify all children born in 2008 who had autism indicators at age 8. Then clinicians reviewed the records to confirm whether a child qualified for a diagnosis on the spectrum. The methodology used is consistent with what the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention employs to come up with national prevalence estimates.

The study found rates of the developmental disability that varied considerably from one place to the next and by other factors including race, socioeconomic status and school district size.

Overall, autism prevalence was 3.6% in New Jersey. But the rate topped 5% in a fifth of school districts, reaching a high of 7.3% in the state’s largest suburban district, Toms River.

“We found that mid-socioeconomic status communities, like Toms River, had the highest ASD rates, which was contrary to expectation because in earlier U.S. studies ASD rates were highest in high-socioeconomic status communities,” said Josephine Shenouda, a project coordinator at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School and a co-author of the study.

Hispanic children were less likely to be diagnosed with autism, the research found.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:30 am

I see they used a method that would totally miss undiagnosed kids. So finding big disparities by community makes sense. There's big disparities in access to and attitudes towards assessment between different communities.

In particular, I could see language barriers between parents & teachers, and the kids being more likely to be ESL students, would result in lower diagnosis rates in Hispanic kids. As a teacher, how do you know if the kid who barely talks and avoids eye contact is autistic vs just a shy kid who speaks better Spanish than English and comes from a culture where eye contact is rude? And what do you do about it if the parents don't understand your attempts to recommend an assessment?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:34 am

New Jersey is ran by organized crime. High corruption, high pollution, industrial waste being dumped in to water supplies. autism caused by early environment toxin overload. Mafia= Autism (my theory)

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:48 am

theprisoner wrote:
New Jersey is ran by organized crime. High corruption, high pollution, industrial waste being dumped in to water supplies. autism caused by early environment toxin overload. Mafia= Autism (my theory)

What you smoking bro :lol:

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:55 am

Pieplup wrote:
theprisoner wrote:

Ah sometimes genius is misunderstood. Its actually quite plausible. Towns have collectively sued companies because of High cancer rates caused by water supply contamination. Tony Soprano = Autism. ( i stand by my theory)

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:58 am

theprisoner wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
theprisoner wrote:

Ah sometimes genius is misunderstood. Its actually quite plausible. Towns have collectively sued companies because of High cancer rates caused by water supply contamination. Tony Soprano = Autism. ( i stand by my theory)

And sometimes insanity mistakes itself for genius. Got any evidence to back up your theory?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 10:59 am

I don't get paid to do scientists work for them.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 11:11 am

theprisoner wrote:
I don't get paid to do scientists work for them.

Oh, you don't. I see.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2021, 6:21 pm

Did they check high-tech parents/ancestors? Bell Labs are gone I think, but their kids & gkids have to still be around. There was more high science/engg around than just Bell Labs.