How psych drugs drove my autisitic son crazy (article)

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jman
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 6:03 pm

This article is an example of what kind of damage psychotropic meds can do to autisitics, especially anti psychotics. This is a real interested story and the mom seems to have a real positive view on her autistic son even as Abilify and Geodon caused him to descend into madness and essentially made him worse.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/0 ... source=rss

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

19 May 2007, 6:33 pm

Quote:
He told his dad about how he had to fight the bad thoughts that were crowding in his head.

That had me thinking schizophrenia.

Quote:
Our son was just unlucky, they said sadly, the victim of two devastating neuro-behavioral disorders. Completely unrelated.

I assume if he took a girl to a school dance he was HFA or aspergers and not LFA. The
DSM-IV criteria for aspergers does not permit one to be diagnosed with both aspergers and schizophrenia at the same time.

So this thread might bettered be titled "problems in diagnosing and treating schizophrenia".

jman
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 6:41 pm

Quote:
DSM-IV criteria for aspergers does not permit one to be diagnosed with both aspergers and schizophrenia at the same time.

No if you read the whole article it was the psych drugs that caused the psychotic symptoms.

Another thing I think you need to re=read the DSM-IV criteria for Schizophrenia:

Quote:
1. Characteristic symptoms: Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated):
1. delusions
2. hallucinations
3. disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence)
4. grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior
5. negative symptoms, i.e., affective flattening, alogia, or avolition

Note: Only one Criterion A symptom is required if delusions are bizarre or hallucinations consist of a voice keeping up a running commentary on the person's behavior or thoughts, or two or more voices conversing with each other.
2. Social/occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset (or when the onset is in childhood or adolescence, failure to achieve expected level of interpersonal, academic, or occupational achievement).

Duration: Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least 6 months. This 6-month period must include at least 1 month of symptoms (or less if successfully treated) that meet Criterion A (i.e., active-phase symptoms) and may include periods of prodromal or residual symptoms. During these prodromal or residual periods, the signs of the disturbance may be manifested by only negative symptoms or two or more symptoms listed in Criterion A present in an attenuated form (e.g., odd beliefs, unusual perceptual experiences).

Schizoaffective and Mood Disorder exclusion: Schizoaffective Disorder and Mood Disorder With Psychotic Features have been ruled out because either (1) no Major Depressive, Manic, or Mixed Episodes have occurred concurrently with the active-phase symptoms; or (2) if mood episodes have occurred during active-phase symptoms, their total duration has been brief relative to the duration of the active and residual periods.

Substance/general medical condition exclusion: The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition.

Relationship to a Pervasive Developmental Disorder: If there is a history of Autistic Disorder or another Pervasive Developmental Disorder, the additional diagnosis of Schizophrenia is made only if prominent delusions or hallucinations are also present for at least a month (or less if successfully treated).

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 6:44 pm

http://web.syr.edu/~rjkopp/data/as_diag_list.html

Quote:
Criterion F. The diagnosis is not given if the criteria are met
for any other specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or
for Schizophrenia.

Which means the DSM-IV is completely ilogical :) As aspergers is an autisic disorder. Sorry I mentioned it.

Last edited by TheMachine1 on 19 May 2007, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 6:45 pm

What a BEAUTIFUL story!! !! ! It is a shame that doctors generally don't care about their patients!

Steve

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 7:49 pm

Thanks for posting story & link, I read it & also sent it on to another person who might find it interesting. If it hadn't been for this being posted here, I'd never have run across it otherwise.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:50 pm

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/st ... bauer.html

Saw this on Digg I wonder if the author of the artical is the same person?

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:50 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Quote:
He told his dad about how he had to fight the bad thoughts that were crowding in his head.

That had me thinking schizophrenia.

This isn't exclusive to schizophrenia by a long shot. Anything that can induce psychosis, mild or severe, or compulsive thinking can do this, from major depression to brain damage to drug toxicity.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:56 pm

http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/feature/ ... index.html

This artical has me thinking it is her own son she is talking about.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 May 2007, 9:57 pm

yah did you ever see that unsolved mysteries about that dude who was a hfa and they drugged him up threw him in a grouphome and he wan away? i think hes still missing to this day

Last edited by richardbenson on 19 May 2007, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 10:06 pm

http://threelayercake.com/content/view/184/50/

Tells about the authors history. It is her son the artical was about it seems.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 May 2007, 10:09 pm

heres that episode i was talking about

http://www.unsolved.com/0000-GordiePage.html

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 10:15 pm

richardbenson wrote:

Interesting story. He could be living under a bridge somewhere. I assumed most my adult life I would be homeless in the end.

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 10:17 pm

My mom's younger brother, who I also am sure had AS, had a very similar story to this man as well. he was a very shy, strrange yet functional boy up until about 16 or 17. then he started to have serious problems, becoming more and more withdrawn and difficult. He was in fact dx'd with schizophrenia, locked up and medicated heavily with the drugs they had at the time (this would have been the late 50's/early 60's). When they released him, he was a zombie and completely dysfunctional. He showed up on one of my aunt's doorstep one day. He stayed there for a couple fo days, and then disappeared. he was never neard from again, and the family just assumes he died somehow.

I've experienced something like "autistic catatonia" myself, when I was 23. I say "something like" because I wasn't completely dysfunctional and I didn't seek treatment for it, but it essentially destroyed my life. It was right after I graduated college - years of practicing music and 5 years to get my music degree, and all I could do in lay around in a dark room, occasionally getting up to go to the bathroom or eat something. At the time I had though that I was developing schizophrenia myself, because at times I had episodes of mildly delusional thinking and what I think may have been hallucinations. I just withdrew for the world for a few years. I almost ended up homeless, because I couldn't work.

But unlike schizophrenics, I recovered pretty much from it from rest and slowly intergrating myself back into society. I did go on a 18 month course of SSRIs when it seemed I was relapsing back in into it when I was 28-29. The SSRIs did help with the compulsive thinking (I was compulsively thinking about suicide all the time for about a month. This was the same time I got the nerve up to tell my shrink I thought I had AS (my shrink also reassured me that I was not schizophrenic, thankfully). Even though I had had some psychotic-like episodes in the past, I absolutely refused to go on anything stronger than Zoloft. You see, my brother who I also think has AS, was put on various psych meds, including a couple of atypical antipsychotics (he had been misdx'd as manic depressive), when he was a teen, and the result was horrific. I told my shrink that because my brother, I won't take any antipsychotics whatsoever.

After working in a psych hospital, my opinion of atypicals is more informed and more negative. Geodon's probably the worst, as it not only radically alters a person's personality, it cause a vast number of serious health problems, from obesity, to diabetes, to heart damage. It's like they're killing these people via Geodon, because it's essentially poison, and more importantly: IT DOESN'T WORK. The rest of this class of drugs isn't much better.

Bottomline: atypical antipsychotics are horrible, horrible, horrible. That austistics suffer worse on these drugs is no surprise to me.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

19 May 2007, 10:21 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
richardbenson wrote:

Interesting story. He could be living under a bridge somewhere. I assumed most my adult life I would be homeless in the end.
yah, poor guy. i hope hes doing alright, anyways thats why im pretty much always nice to homeless people. you never know

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 10:29 pm

When I was in high school I was prescribed Abilify, and I remember I was on it for about a week before I totally refused to take anymore. My doctor told me I needed to give it more time, but I seriously can't even imagine what kind of disorder a person would have to have in order for that s**t to be able to help them. I've tried my share of meds, but Abilify is near the top of my list for crappiest.