Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 6:00 am

2wheels4ever wrote:
I recently saw a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert that I since learned that the venue was part of the former site of the Ontario Motor Speedway - "The Indianapolis of the West". California Jam 1 and 2 were held there as well as one of Evel Knievel's jumps: The "Evel Knievel" biopic starring George Hamilton had the track as the centerpiece of the movie. Besides NASCAR races, it was highly esteemed in Formula 1 and other racing franchises. I passed by the location umpteen times as a child going to visit my grandparents. I've been feeling a sense of guilt about my lack of knowledge of the site when I attended the concert, but I have mixed feelings, since 8 miles to its southeast used to stand Riverside International Raceway, where I attended a race once. OMS was built long after Riverside was, and was a source of competion that lowered attendance. I will not knowingly patronize any establishment that profited from either location being tirn down though.

Ocassionally I think about the same sort of thing in places like Israel, London and the East Coast cities of the United States. Could the site of The Battle Of Hastings now be just another Starbucks?

That track changed my life in '77. It was, BTW, a duplicate of Indy, the only such case if you ignore plain ovals. However, the main straight began on a -.6% grade, and because it was used for the second International Human Powered Speed Championship, that slope was enshrined in their rule book, where it remains to this day, making most other roads useless for record attempts. I was there for the 3rd and 5th championships, and saw the first humans break the then-national speed limit of 55 MPH. Nine years later, I had my own velomobile, and ten years after that, it won its class.

I remember poking around the ruins of the track, but can't think of a date, so it must have been on-screen or in a dream.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 1:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
The armies of Napoleon shot the nose off of the Sphinx in Egypt just for target practice!

that may (MAY) be a misconception, there are depictions of the sphinx from before napoleon's time that show it missing a nose. but i wouldn't put it past emperor honhon to do something like that.

there used to be an elementary school, not far from where i live...a long time ago.

it was torn down, and now it is a parking lot. it is remembered by a (tile?) plaque, below which there often lies a homeless person or three.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 11:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Okay...

I caught my breath.

That IS a serious issue. Historic preservation. Shopping malls encroach on the Battlefields of the American Civil War. And its tough trade off: the economic growth vs history.

I recently read accounts by a prominent person about how all of the Nazi death camps in eastern europe are falling into decay. It may seem odd to want to preserve that grim part of history in the first place, but the grimness of the Holocaust is the very reason future generations need to remember it.

And the list goes on from around the world.

The armies of Napoleon shot the nose off of the Sphinx in Egypt just for target practice!

Six years ago the current civil war in Syria (like Egypt also home to relics of thousands of years of civilization) broke out: a war so savage that the capital city became a near ghost town in weeks. In the first few months both the world's oldest mosque, and the world oldest Christian church were destroyed. And that was just from accidental collatoral damage from the fighting. That was even before ISIS appeared on the scene, and ISIS has as part of its creed the belief that all physical monuments built prior to Islam have to be deliberately destroyed. They dinomited Greco Roman temples in Syria.

Yeah. Its sad. Not much anyone can do about it (though there is a brave cadre of Syrian scholars who do strive to preserve what they can over there).

I'm glad you got a laugh out of that! I based that on being at the time the movie was filmed; both the person who performed the stunt and the place he performed it at were both existing in the world, and the stunt still stands up in the records of Knievel's official history. I suppose I am a bit envious of the way Britain installs a blue plaque on the wall of John Lennon's childhood home while James Hetfield's has no recollection of him ever living there (and the Back To The Future 1985 McFly house has had a succession of buy-and-flip owners who have radically altered the house's appearance)

As far as ISIS, I would like to send them $20 and tell them I wiped a pig's loins with it. People who buy into their brand of equine feces would have been rightly institutionalized in the 1950s. :skull:

In the case of Riverside International Raceway, I posted on another forum about the blood of a pioneering NASCAR driver being on the hands of the buyer of the land who everyone believed would keep the world-famous track active (and the billions of $ it contributed to the California economy). The most popular establishment here (and across the country) is "FOR LEASE"