"Special Interests" that get out of control

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 7:50 pm

I'm hooked on a brand new obsessive interest that started just two weeks ago; the collecting of Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families merchandise. They're fuzzy flocked anthropomorphic animal dolls on a 1:16 scale, with incredibly detailed homes/shops/accessories, and they've been around since 1985, so there's a lot of stuff out there to collect. It's getting a bit out of hand, because in two weeks, I've spent close to $500 on this stuff, and I'm already out of desk space, and figuring out ways to rearrange my small apartment bedroom to accommodate new stuff. I know it's a problem, but I just don't know how to rein it in. I'm literally dreaming about my critters these days, and the only things I do with my free time anymore are play with my sets, post on the Sylvanian collectors' message board, or peruse Ebay for even more things to add to my collection. I have zero interest in spending time with my friends anymore, because all I can think about when I'm with them is, "I could be at home playing with my critters right now". NTs don't know the meaning of the word "hobby"!

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2017, 8:19 pm

I started taking Lexapro over a year ago, and since then over time my hyperfocus hasn't been a problem as much. I miss it, but it's better this way for health reasons and because I have kids and a husband. I can break away from things, know what they said to me and respond, start/stop, and eat better. I don't find myself taking pieces of what I am working on/special interest with me everywhere I go. I have heard of this same effect from antidepressants from multiple other spectrumites. I found those very interesting because I noticed this change before reading other spectrumites' experiences. Let me know I wasn't imagining it. As you can imagine, this isn't a listed side effect. :D

Defies categorization. A mixed bag.

fictioneer
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2017, 12:17 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
There may be other ways to end up with obsessive focus. You're right, though, there can be ways of using it productively. That's what I need to work on. Just now, I had a long late-night session editing up some of my piano music, which was fine 'cos I don't have work on Sundays. Got a lot done. Getting sucked into the same thing on a /Monday/ night is a real problem.

Lol totally ! Unfortunately very easy to let that happen - when what you are working on at the time is so extremely important (and it's always something extremely important lol). I think part of me prefers not to know my diagnosis because when it is channelled productively, it's like a super power. Something very unique and special actually.

I play the piano too, I started learning when I was about 4 years old, I have not met many other piano players in my life but this year I made a new friend who trained in composition and his instrument is the piano too. His way of thinking through very abstract structures, systems and patterns - in music specifically and in general relation to anything else really - is the closest resemblance to my own operations of thought that I have ever encountered (I have no idea if he is diagnosed or not). Formally and structurally this way of thinking seems to be isomorphic to the structure and operations of the musical system - as well as music's compositionally isomorphic behaviour.

Would you have any thoughts about this in relation to your own musical/piano training ? Do you think it shaped your thinking in any way ?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2017, 6:21 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Yep! Its what seperates Normal interests from special interest.

With me, i draw for hours on end until my wrist and eyes hurt and stay up until the sun rises and loose sleep. I have no interest in talking to a person or forming a relationship that isnt about sonic, actually i dred and easily get bored with conversations that arent about Sonic or my fan characters. In school id draw sonic instead of doing tests and work sheets and failed some classes because of it. I have once gone a year without taking off a shirt with sonic on it, and only washed it 3 times, wore it night and day. I would forget to cook for myself because ill be drawing sonic. I think of sonic and mynfan characters 24/7. And i agree, it gets worse when im in emotional distress

Ita getting better though, this year i started broadening my art skills to other things

Einstien had the same problem. He would sit up and think of his theories and not talk to anyone, he wouldnt make himself meals or change his clothes just because he was thinking.

Its both a blessing and a curse.

Right now im ITCHING Just to discuss sonic with SOMEONE. It comes out as word vomit sometimes. I was trained when i was younger to not talk about sonic because i would go on and on and on AND ON with anyone, even strangers, so my family kept reminding me not to talk about it with everyone. So i bite my tongue but lately i just want to talk to someone about it.

Kinda reminds me of my Lion King and meerkat obsessions. I didn't want to talk to people if they conversation wasn't Lion King or meerkat related and I was only allowed to talk to my parents about them for so long...this caused resentment and me HATE my parents.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 6:46 am

fictioneer wrote:
I play the piano too, I started learning when I was about 4 years old, I have not met many other piano players in my life but this year I made a new friend who trained in composition and his instrument is the piano too. His way of thinking through very abstract structures, systems and patterns - in music specifically and in general relation to anything else really - is the closest resemblance to my own operations of thought that I have ever encountered (I have no idea if he is diagnosed or not). Formally and structurally this way of thinking seems to be isomorphic to the structure and operations of the musical system - as well as music's compositionally isomorphic behaviour.

Would you have any thoughts about this in relation to your own musical/piano training ? Do you think it shaped your thinking in any way ?

Not sure I've correctly understood what "isomorphic" means in this context, but it reminds me of a bit in Thomas Mann's "Doctor Faustus." His composer hero describes music as a mixture of strict law and "cowish warmth." This mixture of emotion and abstract geometry definitely appeals to me. Quite often, the strongest emotional effects are built on patterns that could be mathematically described. I never got the hang of atonal music- I prefer to take all the old familiar chords and find ways to get something new out of them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2017, 8:50 am

I often post on wrong planet at 3 or 4 or 5AM. Obsessive special interest, do you think? :D

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman