Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 9:13 pm

I notice I persevate more when I'm emotional, meaning I focus on the source of the emotional trigger to the exclusion of what I actually need to focus on. It's multilayered, so if there was a primarily triggered by a live event or something, then I'm morel likely to persevate over a secondary trigger like a song. What I'm wondering is 1. if other people on the spectrum do this and 2. if neurotypicals do this as well.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 11:48 pm

It doesn't seem unusual, but I do the same sometimes.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 12:40 am

The same happens to me. It is involuntary. I think it's ruminating. It can be difficult, if not next to impossible, to stop it. I do try to focus on my breathing when it becomes unmanageable, and it does help, at least, somewhat. And, if I understand you correctly, music that might remind you of the primary trigger, can trigger your perseveration, as well. I experience the same. When I am going through a rough patch, I find myself avoiding places where I have no control over music that might be piped in. I think neurotypical people do experience it, as well. Perhaps, not to the extent that we do? I am not sure.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 3:50 am

For example, when I read about autism, I experience existential angst, which prompts me to read more about autism. Now I'm basically an expert. :P

Britte wrote:
And, if I understand you correctly, music that might remind you of the primary trigger, can trigger your perseveration, as well.

What I'm actually saying is my reaction to the music is intensified by having an already strong mood. Music which would normally inspire feelings in me would inspire much more feeling, prompting me to listen to it repeatedly.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html