Autistics with epilepsy. question- am I having seizures?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 1:17 pm

I have a question for Aspies/Autists, all diagnosed spectrumites who are also diagnosed with epilepsy. I have no issues with people who self diagnose. I did not have an official diagnosis for 47 years. But for this question, it is important to distinguish because it is important that those who answer have an actual diagnosis. This is more like a research type question. Anyone can feel free to answer, whether you have a diagnosis or not, if you just want to give an opinion. I welcome all opinions. But please specify if you are officially diagnosed so that I can tailor my research. Thank you.

Very recently, I have been experiencing what we think are petite mal seizures. I went to a neurologist the other day and he spoke to me and asked me questions for about 45 minutes or so but did not do any actual brain testing with any kind of equipment at all. Now I know this guy has an amazing reputation but I am not convinced that he can tell what kind of electrical activity is happening in my brain by only asking me questions. He told me that what I am experiencing is not seizures. He has not given me a concrete answer to what is happening in my brain and is only telling me that my brain processes overload differently than others and that these episodes are basically brain tension being released. He said it is neurological but that it is a physiological response to overload.

Well, to me, that is just the definition of a meltdown. So for those of you who have a diagnosis of ASD as well as a diagnosis of epilepsy, how was your epilepsy diagnosed and what kind of seizures do you have? And are you aware of them happening while you are having them?

When I am triggered, I get light full body shakes. These I only notice when I am lying down on my bed. Or, not at the same time, speech that becomes so slurred that it is completely unintelligible and I cannot pronounce consonants, and I lose perception of time. Sometimes the speech issue and time loss perception happen together. Losing perception of time means that for me I feel like something that took 5 minutes took an hour or something that took an hour took five minutes, depending on whether my brain is either racing or slowed down. I am fully aware of my body shaking when it shakes, and when I lose speech, I am aware that my speech is off but I am not aware how bad it is. Others had to point it out. When I lose perception of time, I am not aware that I am doing that.

I am trying to figure out if what I am having is actually seizures or not.
Thank you.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 11 May 2017, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 1:20 pm

I don't have epilepsy.

You should get examined by another neurologist--a "second opinion."

How is everything going otherwise?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 1:26 pm

Hey Kraftie, Good to see you. I have been going through hell and back in my personal life but I am still here. I would love another opinion. I want to see what people say here first though.

I did great at Special Olympics Worlds in March, I know you want to know about that. Advanced level alpine skiing, bronze in super G and Gold in giant slalom. We had to choose two the the three events. I am glad I did not choose slalom, it was a tough course. The advanced courses were very difficult and I had a tough time over there with all the over stimulation and I had a bad fall and got hurt badly right before my first race but still managed a bronze. But overall, it was an amazing experience and I am aching to do it again. So in two years, the World Summer Games will be in Abu Dhabi. I would love to qualify for kayaking. I think I have caught the bug! :D

Wreck It Ralph

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 3:04 pm

I find myself in peculiar postures, at times, but am not diagnosed, formally.

I think, the doctor's encyclopedic knowledge does not rival the encyclopedia, and there are pro's and con's to receiving treatment -- especially, if you don't like that kind of attention.

Some would definitely be annoyed by the testing and other options, which can be obtained, independently, if you are resourceful. Noone asks for qualifications, in real life.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 3:22 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
I find myself in peculiar postures, at times, but am not diagnosed, formally.

I think, the doctor's encyclopedic knowledge does not rival the encyclopedia, and there are pro's and con's to receiving treatment -- especially, if you don't like that kind of attention.

Some would definitely be annoyed by the testing and other options, which can be obtained, independently, if you are resourceful. Noone asks for qualifications, in real life.

Thank you. I think you are right.

Wreck It Ralph

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 4:40 pm

I had simple partial seizures (the new term for petit mal) before getting surgery to stop them and have an official Asperger's diagnosis. My epilepsy was diagnosed after having a huge tonic-clonic seizure at the age of 11. If you have seizures with Asperger's, I've heard that's around the age when they usually begin. I was not aware of that seizure, but I was aware of all my simple partials.

Do you have auras, i.e. do you know when these are going to happen a minute or two ahead of time? Those are a classic sign of seizures. When you said "when I am triggered," I'm not sure what you mean by that. Triggered in what way? My seizures usually happened at completely random times, but I noticed that they did tend to increase when I was stressed. As for speech being slurred, during my seizures, I was hardly able to talk at all. If I tried really, really hard, I could make sounds, but they didn't resemble words at all. I didn't really lose perception of time, but I wasn't completely sure how long the seizures lasted. I think around a minute or two, but I was always extremely exhausted after them and needed to nap.

Overall, these don't really sound like seizures. I think your neurologist may be correct, but obviously, since I'm not experiencing what you are, I can't tell you for sure.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 4:43 pm

I have the pronunciation issues, etc, which you have discussed. Also, with my tongue, breathing, and back. (I am being very generalized, here, to avoid tmi, and am sometimes criticized for that.) This class of drugs, which are within my means to obtain, if I wanted them, have extremely negative side affects, as opposed to avoiding triggers and calming exercises and other diy methods of stress release. I personally feel that I am trading one set of dangers for another but can't make that decision for you.

We need down time, and we have to make ourselves do it. Sorry for your troubles and good luck with that.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 4:58 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
I have the pronunciation issues, etc, which you have discussed. Also, with my tongue, breathing, and back. (I am being very generalized, here, to avoid tmi, and am sometimes criticized for that.) This class of drugs, which are within my means to obtain, if I wanted them, have extremely negative side affects, as opposed to avoiding triggers and calming exercises and other diy methods of stress release. I personally feel that I am trading one set of dangers for another but can't make that decision for you.

We need down time, and we have to make ourselves do it. Sorry for your troubles and good luck with that.
Thank you so much for your insight. It is helpful.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 5:07 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
I had simple partial seizures (the new term for petit mal) before getting surgery to stop them and have an official Asperger's diagnosis. My epilepsy was diagnosed after having a huge tonic-clonic seizure at the age of 11. If you have seizures with Asperger's, I've heard that's around the age when they usually begin. I was not aware of that seizure, but I was aware of all my simple partials.

Do you have auras, i.e. do you know when these are going to happen a minute or two ahead of time? Those are a classic sign of seizures. When you said "when I am triggered," I'm not sure what you mean by that. Triggered in what way? My seizures usually happened at completely random times, but I noticed that they did tend to increase when I was stressed. As for speech being slurred, during my seizures, I was hardly able to talk at all. If I tried really, really hard, I could make sounds, but they didn't resemble words at all. I didn't really lose perception of time, but I wasn't completely sure how long the seizures lasted. I think around a minute or two, but I was always extremely exhausted after them and needed to nap.

Overall, these don't really sound like seizures. I think your neurologist may be correct, but obviously, since I'm not experiencing what you are, I can't tell you for sure.

Thank you as well. This is also extremely helpful.
I believe these happen when I am stressed, when I am overloaded, either emotionally or sometimes from sensory overload. I do not believe I have auras. With the shaking, I just feel myself shake. With the loss of time, I have no idea when it is going to happen. It catches me completely off guard and my friend will usually point it out to me when it is happening and he notices it. With the slurred speech, I can feel and hear my speech deteriorating so I do not think it is an actual aura. I think I am just aware of my speech going.

I am not looking for these to be or not be seizures, whatever they are is what they are, I am just tying to be sure because the doctor did not tell me what makes them not seizures. I know someone who had almost identical symptoms and had his brain electrical patterns analyzed and they turned out to be seizures. His father pointed my symptoms out to me. So I am curious as to what might actually be happening since the doctor did not give me a concrete answer.

Wreck It Ralph

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 8:16 pm

Not official yet but I have several diagnosed family members. I started have tonic clonic seizures at about 6 months old. I had them for a few years. Everyone thought I had grown out of them until a teacher rang my Mum and said she was concerned because I seemed to miss things in class. Back to the neurologist and another EEG. It showed I was having absent seizures. And just so you know, a normal EEG does not mean someone does not have seizures. it just means you did not have one at the time of the EEG.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 8:36 pm

skibum wrote:
I have a question for Aspies/Autists, all diagnosed spectrumites who are also diagnosed with epilepsy. I have no issues with people who self diagnose. I did not have an official diagnosis for 47 years. But for this question, it is important to distinguish because it is important that those who answer have an actual diagnosis. This is more like a research type question. Anyone can feel free to answer, whether you have a diagnosis or not, if you just want to give an opinion. I welcome all opinions. But please specify if you are officially diagnosed so that I can tailor my research. Thank you.

Very recently, I have been experiencing what we think are petite mal seizures. I went to a neurologist the other day and he spoke to me and asked me questions for about 45 minutes or so but did not do any actual brain testing with any kind of equipment at all. Now I know this guy has an amazing reputation but I am not convinced that he can tell what kind of electrical activity is happening in my brain by only asking me questions. He told me that what I am experiencing is not seizures. He has not given me a concrete answer to what is happening in my brain and is only telling me that my brain processes overload differently than others and that these episodes are basically brain tension being released. He said it is neurological but that it is a physiological response to overload.

Well, to me, that is just the definition of a meltdown. So for those of you who have a diagnosis of ASD as well as a diagnosis of epilepsy, how was your epilepsy diagnosed and what kind of seizures do you have? And are you aware of them happening while you are having them?

When I am triggered, I get light full body shakes. These I only notice when I am lying down on my bed. Or, not at the same time, speech that becomes so slurred that it is completely unintelligible and I cannot pronounce consonants, and I lose perception of time. Sometimes the speech issue and time loss perception happen together. Losing perception of time means that for me I feel like something that took 5 minutes took an hour or something that took an hour took five minutes, depending on whether my brain is either racing or slowed down. I am fully aware of my body shaking when it shakes, and when I lose speech, I am aware that my speech is off but I am not aware how bad it is. Others had to point it out. When I lose perception of time, I am not aware that I am doing that.

I have a relative who was experiencing something similar to what you describe. She would be going about her business and suddenly start shaking. She would feel weak during this time, her speech would become slurred, and she would experience difficulty walking. The neurologist concluded it was not a seizure, but dangerously high spikes in blood pressure affecting her brain. Her blood pressure is now under control but she has some permanent damage because when her blood pressure would spike, it would burst the capillaries in her brain and cause bleeding. She also had a small stroke at some point.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 9:13 pm

Sounds like a panic attack to me, they are def connected to your stress levels as you describe them. But see another doc. As your friend who can only pretend to know what she's talking about, that's my advice! There could be a real medical condition that is triggered by strong emotion.

What's going on at home, or can you not say?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 11:33 am

bunnyb wrote:
Not official yet but I have several diagnosed family members. I started have tonic clonic seizures at about 6 months old. I had them for a few years. Everyone thought I had grown out of them until a teacher rang my Mum and said she was concerned because I seemed to miss things in class. Back to the neurologist and another EEG. It showed I was having absent seizures. And just so you know, a normal EEG does not mean someone does not have seizures. it just means you did not have one at the time of the EEG.
Thank you. This is very helpful.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 11:35 am

Chronos wrote:
skibum wrote:

I have a relative who was experiencing something similar to what you describe. She would be going about her business and suddenly start shaking. She would feel weak during this time, her speech would become slurred, and she would experience difficulty walking. The neurologist concluded it was not a seizure, but dangerously high spikes in blood pressure affecting her brain. Her blood pressure is now under control but she has some permanent damage because when her blood pressure would spike, it would burst the capillaries in her brain and cause bleeding. She also had a small stroke at some point.
Wow, that is fascinating. I am curious if my bp is changing during these times. I am aware and functional during them and can take my bp as they are happening. I will next time. Mine usually runs low and I have to be very careful to keep it from dropping too much. That runs in my family. I am even wondering if my bp is spiking down rather than up during those times. This is a great insight and I will look into it. Thank you.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 11:38 am

wozeree wrote:
Sounds like a panic attack to me, they are def connected to your stress levels as you describe them. But see another doc. As your friend who can only pretend to know what she's talking about, that's my advice! There could be a real medical condition that is triggered by strong emotion.

What's going on at home, or can you not say?
Hey Woz, Nice to see you. You are probably spot on with this. I believe the slurred speech episodes are related to emotional triggers, I am just not sure about the shaking. There has been so much going on, it will take a letter to share with you. I will pm you as soon as I am able since it's a lot and probably not best to share it all publicly. Thank you so much for your insight, I think that panic attacks could have a lot of do with it.

Wreck It Ralph

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 May 2017, 1:00 am

I finally got to see a neurologist (instead of a psychiatrist). The neurologist diagnosed me not with epilepsy but with syncope, which the dictionary gives as

Pathology. brief loss of consciousness associated with transient cerebral anemia, as in heart block, sudden lowering of the blood pressure, etc.; fainting.

That's pretty much what he said. I didn't think much of the Dx because my episodes were very dramatic and without warning and I would wake about 8 feet away from where I started. I wake paralyzed and blind; it takes about an hour to be able to move. Hearing comes back first.

But I've been doing what he said to do and I feel better. I should mention this was the top dog neurologist in our neurology hospital. It's a teaching hospital so I had to be Dx'd by a young doctor who then conferred with the top dog, who came in and explained things to me.

Nobody looked at my brain. It was the usual "squeeze my hand" and stuff like that. A family doctor does those things too.

Things he said to do:

- Do not stress. Practice being even-tempered.
- When you wake, sit on the edge of the bed and tap your feet for a minute or two (levels blood flow).
- When sitting and moving into standing, put your head up straight and breathe in.

Especially he said that's what causes those horrible bathroom accidents - people sitting on toilet with their head down suddenly stand and crash, probably into something ceramic.

I'm telling you all this because I wish somebody had told me. I hope I didn't go overboard.