Differentiating autistic people from one another

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2017, 8:40 am

Online, on websites like tumblr and YouTube i have seen that many autistic people think that someone who is "severely autistic" and "mildly autistic" should just be lumped into one category - autistic.
They have also said that "everybody is just as autistic, autism just expresses itself in different ways in different people".

Personally i dont think that "severely" and "mildly" are the best ways to describe an autistic person and their difficulties but i do believe that knowing if you will be dealing with (dealing with as in interacting with) an autistic person it is quite important to know whether you will be dealing with someone who cannot speak or communicate in a way others understand, doesn't follow instructions, needs full time support and has meltdowns multiple times a day. Or if you will be dealing with someone who is verbal, takes care of themselves but might need some extra consideration when it comes to social interaction.

I do believe that the "levels of support" in the DSM 5 are a better way of explaining the level of support needed and what you can expect. I still do believe that saying that someone is severely autistic shouldn't be a bad thing - you are simply communicating what their (approximate) needs will be.

What are your thoughts on this?

kicker
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2017, 10:02 am

I think while true some people require more support than others, the same types of support (i.e. consideration for communication difficulties) is required for all persons diagnosed with ASD. Not to say that the intensity of support is the same for someone who as you would classify as "mild" is the same as someone who is "severe".

Therefore, I believe what they are trying to communicate is that since the core aspects of the disorder are the same even though there are variants in those core aspects, that ASD should be considered all encompassing rather than categorized. It would provide for more consistency across the board. As it would be automatically known to others without it that a person with ASD will need support in the diagnostic areas, and will require interaction to determine at what intensity support will be needed for each area on any given day.

I think that is what they were trying to do with the levels, even though it still implies (sort of for most people) someone with level 3 as needing more support instead of requiring a different intensity to the support required by someone with level 1. For example all levels have communication difficulties, so all levels need support with communicating needs, the difference is the support for someone considered level one may be a nudge or verbal prompt while someone with level 3 may need a picture book they can point at. So same support different intensity.

I can see why some would disagree, as I am sure someone considered "mild" may hold resentment being lumped with someone considered "severe", however if they are diagnosed (whether self or professional) they have already conceded to having the same features and difficulties as someone considered "mild", "moderate", or "severe".

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 1:06 am

It's definitely levels of support and interactivity. I know plenty of autistics who do not require support and manage fine on their own. Diagnosis never seems to match as much either, because I know Aspies who struggle at life overall and some HFAs who never encounter such issues.
Personally, my problems are less visible because I will periodically lose the ability to speak or look at people's lips and not interact at all. :|

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 7:40 am

teksla wrote:
Online, on websites like tumblr and YouTube i have seen that many autistic people think that someone who is "severely autistic" and "mildly autistic" should just be lumped into one category - autistic.
They have also said that "everybody is just as autistic, autism just expresses itself in different ways in different people".

Personally i dont think that "severely" and "mildly" are the best ways to describe an autistic person and their difficulties but i do believe that knowing if you will be dealing with (dealing with as in interacting with) an autistic person it is quite important to know whether you will be dealing with someone who cannot speak or communicate in a way others understand, doesn't follow instructions, needs full time support and has meltdowns multiple times a day. Or if you will be dealing with someone who is verbal, takes care of themselves but might need some extra consideration when it comes to social interaction.

I do believe that the "levels of support" in the DSM 5 are a better way of explaining the level of support needed and what you can expect. I still do believe that saying that someone is severely autistic shouldn't be a bad thing - you are simply communicating what their (approximate) needs will be.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think that's a good way to look at it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2017, 9:24 am

Of course it's not perfect---but I agree that the DSM V does a better job than previously at taking into account "levels of support."

Synic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2017, 10:07 am

teksla wrote:

I can agree with the second part of that sentence but not with the first. I have met people with ASD where it was very subtle and I wouldn't have been able to tell if they didn't mention it, but I've also met people where it was anything but subtle. The ones who can't hide it are usually also those who need a lot of support.

There's an organization in the city I live that organizes meetings for people with ASD and if you want to attend these meetings you have to fill in a questionnaire in order to determine the amount of support you need in everyday life. They use this to assign you to a group. I find this a good approach as I have very little in common with the people who need a large amount of support, so I support your idea.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2017, 11:05 am

I don't resent being lumped in with those who have more severe Autism. In fact, I think it presents an opportunity for people to learn, to see that someone's preconceived notions may not be entirely accurate, to see that there is no definitive answer to what Autism looks like.

We all know that there are many people who are afraid of people who are Autistic, so we are in position to show that people with Autism don't need to be feared, that they're genuine people who care, love, hate...etc. That non-communicative person there, that's still a person who thinks and feels. That some prejudices would say otherwise is unfortunate.

If I, as someone with mild Autism, can help educate people about ASD, then I'm going to do that within the confines of my ability to do so. (It's unlikely I'll be on any speaking tours). As with many things, education is highly important. The more people, the more it will be easier for all of us.