Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 3:05 pm

I can only use a scenario for this today at work something happened the scenario was this

Someone asked me a question (to catch me out) this was it but there was someone else there

Person 1: Whats the number between 7 and 8
Me: 7.5
Person 2: There always has to be a clever one there

Whos had that happen to them or something similar

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 3:09 pm

MrMacPhisto wrote:
I can only use a scenario for this today at work something happened the scenario was this

Someone asked me a question (to catch me out) this was it but there was someone else there

Person 1: Whats the number between 7 and 8
Me: 7.5
Person 2: There always has to be a clever one there

Whos had that happen to them or something similar

Why were they trying to "catch you out"? Did they actually think that was a difficult question? I guess I just don't understand what happened. Anyway, there is an infinity of numbers between 7 and 8, so their question was logically flawed. They should have asked, "What's *a* number between 7 and 8?"

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 3:11 pm

I don't know I might have been acting a bit strange when they did it

25 May 2007, 3:12 pm

No one's never asked me such a thing. If someone did, I'd be confused because there is no number between 7 and 8. I'd be like "huh?" Totally confused.

I have also gotten confused by questions such as "what's five and ten?" because I couldn't understand the question and make a picture out of it. Then someone told me when someone asks me whats (number) and (number) it means adding so "what's five and ten?" meant "What's five plus ten?". So now I remind myself that so I don't get confused again if someone asks me a question like that again.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 5:40 pm

Is a number an intiger or just a number?

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 6:05 pm

likedcalico wrote:
No one's never asked me such a thing. If someone did, I'd be confused because there is no number between 7 and 8. I'd be like "huh?" Totally confused.

I have also gotten confused by questions such as "what's five and ten?" because I couldn't understand the question and make a picture out of it. Then someone told me when someone asks me whats (number) and (number) it means adding so "what's five and ten?" meant "What's five plus ten?". So now I remind myself that so I don't get confused again if someone asks me a question like that again.

Well, they DID say ***THE*** number.

As for five plus ten?

GOOD POINT!

QUICK, what's 5 and 10? I'll even make it easier! A 5 and dime! Is it:

1. $5.10?
2. $2.70?
3. $.15?
4. A new breed of cat?
5. A mall?
6. A cheap type of store?

Some newer NTs might not know this! The correct answer is #6!! !! !! It describes a store where everything USED to cost a nickle or a dime! Heck, it turns out WALMART started out as a 5 and dime! http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/AR3144/

Steve

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 6:45 pm

iceb wrote:
Is a number an intiger or just a number?

An integer is a particular type of number- a whole number. Numbers can be integers, rational, irrational, imaginary :D, whatever. If they'd said integer, then there wouldn't have been a correct answer to the question.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 7:04 pm

Some people are just like that!