Any other people with aspergers hate feeling sticky?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 4:42 pm

i recall a messy meltdown when i was a kid after climbing a tree that was covered in sap. i became covered in sap. then my mom tried to use peanut butter to get the sap off my skin and hair.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2017, 9:06 pm

I *hate* sticky stuff. Generally I hate having food get on my hands and face. I always wash my hands and face after meals.

a former precious lil "friend" had the nerve to squeak "eeewwww!! !! you wiped your mouth with your sleeve!".

this was the same precious lil "friend" that said "you wear your pants around your knees."

it's like she could not stop flapping her trap.

sticky things do not bother me. and i just wash them off. no problem.

what royally gets on my nerves is when someone just sits there flapping his/her trap. she acted like she was a sports announcer and i was a football game.

:twisted:

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jul 2017, 6:54 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't think many adults like having sticky hands.

This.

I think the difference is likely to be in how much being sticky impacts a person and their functioning. From people's responses it would seem quite a few are very distressed by the sensation of being sticky.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 7:03 am

I think NikNak is correct, the difference lies in the impact on the person's coping abilities in that moment.

Someone not on the spectrum may just feel a bit "euh, oh well."

But someone with spectrum-driven aversion will be unable to think of much else until they can rectify the sticky situation, which can be quite impairing to any other activity.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 3:13 pm

I had a BAD sunburn and the spray to help it stop burning was so sticky, I found it more tolerable to deal with the burning than constantly have my hair and skin be sticky.

mathiebrungrand
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2017, 6:25 am

This is a problem for me, although less with my hands and much more with other places on my body. Sometimes when I get my hair done, the stylists try to put gel or oil on my scalp and I cannot do anything else until I wash it off.

After having such horrible reactions many times (I have been going to the same stylist since 2010), she has instructed everyone in the shop that under no circumstances should oil, gel or spray be used on me. I know they all think I'm a weirdo, but the sensation is awful.

Happy to hear that I am not the only one!

sparrowblue

04 Jul 2017, 3:40 am

Oh my goodness, yes.

Do any of you have a similar problem with hand-cream? I used to have terribly dry hands but just couldn't stand the feeling of having hand-cream on my hands. I would inevitably end up just going and washing it right off again, making the dryness worse. I have the same problem with cream even when my hands are fine but my family are bemused by my refusal to use it. Eventually I started using moisturising hand-wash, which works much better as you can wash it off straight after scrubbing your hands with it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 10:57 am

I like the taste of some sticky foods, like honey and peanut butter on toast, and syrup on pancakes, and BBQ ribs, but the stickiness afterwards is very annoying. It helps to have moist towelettes with you that you can buy in stores now when eating out, especially if there's no place to wash your hands and face.

And try not to ever kiss your cat right after you eat something sticky. Being sticky and hairy is even worse. :lol:

conanthewarrior

05 Jul 2017, 5:07 am

I didn't realise so many others really hated this too.

I agree that most adults don't like having sticky hands, but I mean in the sense if I got something sticky on me, I need to get it off as soon as possible, and can't do anything else until this is done.

Not just my hands either, if I know I have dropped something, even a tiny amount on my shirt that is sticky, it must be changed before I can carry on with anything else.

Some foods I do like the taste of, but I won't eat them because I know it involves my hands getting covered in syrup or similar.

Kythe
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2017, 8:36 am

Yeah I can't stand anything sticky or slimy or even powdered being on me. I'll have to immediately wash my hands if I do get something like that on me. I also can't stand the feeling of lotion or chapstick on me, so if I need those things, I only put them on before I go to sleep so I won't have to feel them so much. Sometimes I'll try to put lotion on by rubbing it in with the back of my hands because having it on the back of my hands doesn't bother me as much as having it on my palms. It's also annoying that lotion seems to interfere with my ability to use touch screen devices.

I also seem to have less and less tolerance for feeling sweaty than I used to. I really do hate the sticky feeling but it's more than that. For some reason, sweating doesn't really cool me down like it's supposed to. It's like it forms a barrier on my skin that makes me hotter. Once I have even a little bit of sweat on my skin, I find it much harder, sometimes impossible, to cool down properly. Then I sweat even more and it just becomes a really bad cycle that can end up making me feel really sick until I can take a shower and properly rinse it all off. I really have no idea why I react to sweat like this and I'm not sure if it's part of my sensory processing disorder or something else.

palmtoka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2017, 11:28 pm

mathiebrungrand wrote:
This is a problem for me, although less with my hands and much more with other places on my body. Sometimes when I get my hair done, the stylists try to put gel or oil on my scalp and I cannot do anything else until I wash it off.

After having such horrible reactions many times (I have been going to the same stylist since 2010), she has instructed everyone in the shop that under no circumstances should oil, gel or spray be used on me. I know they all think I'm a weirdo, but the sensation is awful.

Happy to hear that I am not the only one!

My hands get sticky when I'm nervous.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 12:49 am

I could put up with stickiness for hours like how I put up with itchy clothing tags before I get frustrated at it.

I could enjoy it like how I enjoy playing with magnets... Only except it's always in short terms and under specific circumstances.

While cold could overwhelm me enough as it's one of my sensory weaknesses, stickiness would just annoy the crap out of me like how having a pebble in my shoe would annoy and distract me.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.