What did you think was wrong before you heard about AS?

Page 3 of 10 [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

30 May 2007, 5:07 am

greenblue wrote:
Sopho wrote:
Kilroy wrote:
I jut thought I was a terrible freak and I hated myself
still do really :(

You shouldn't hate yourself.
You're awesome.

I love you Kilroy. No, not in that way :lol:
You have been an excellent person and an excellent friend
I thank you for that :mrgreen:

My thoughts exactly. *hugs + kisses*

Smelena

Milamber33
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 May 2007, 6:02 am

Obsessive Compulsive personality disorder + Avoidant personality disorder + low self esteem as a result of long term bullying.

And that's why it's called The Present.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 6:32 am

I just thought i was different.
I had never heard the word autism or asperger before in my life before a dokter said i might have it when i was 19.
I just thought i was a guy with poor social skills, sleeping problems, who just looked young.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 May 2007, 8:24 am

nutbag wrote:
Oh holy Ned!

AS is big. I seem to have a fair dose of it. There is so much that Nearly everything in the book seemed to fit: I am shy, I'm introverted, I'm too intelligent for my own good, I'm divorced from reality and therefore schizophrenic, I have OCD, I have bipolar, I am delusional, I am paranoid, I am a geek, I am a loner, I am depressive, I am clumsy, I am thoughtless, I am a ($%$#@) moron, I am heartless, I am unemotional, I am. . . .

And it is not that a great deal of these didn't fit. All if them fit. But an I a Chinese menu of mental illneses? What of Occam's Razor? All of it was too much go explain too little. And none of the stuff above gave me any clear ideas of what to do with me.

AS wraps it all up. It wraps up all that I am, and all that I have lived. My working hypothesis was far worse than AS!

my thoughts exactly....

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2007, 8:43 am

I thought I was intelligent. People kept telling me I was intelligent. I thought I would have found someone like me sooner or later. I tried to be like Aristotle and befriend the Alexanders the Great of my classes, but somehow it didn't work. Over the year I thought I was depressed and shy, I had a bad family environment, a childhood trauma and physical inaesthetisms.

When I was about 13, a teacher of mine warned me I could become autistic, but I searched the term and it didn't seem it could be related to me.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 8:50 am

I don't have a formal diagnosis but, before I read about AS, I thought I was just a social misfit. I was smart, but considerably delayed socially.

Schadenfreude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2007, 9:00 am

I just though I was "damaged goods" as I was described during a particularly vicious break-up.

kclark
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2007, 10:38 am

I thought that I was a smart, shy, very religious person.
So I didn't 'get' what caused the non-religious to tick. It seemed pretty obvious that I was different, my religion must be why.
I subconsciously chalked up my not understanding religious people as me being very intelligent and thinking differently than the few equally religious people that I knew.

I guess I was partly right in that I think differently, but the reasons were completely off.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

30 May 2007, 10:45 am

i just thought i was learning disabled with eccentric behavior

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 10:52 am

I didn't notice but then again I found out when I was 12

Airbrush
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2007, 10:55 am

I though i was just very anxiouse, depressed and shy. That`s the reasons that my parent`s found out that i had AS

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 12:34 pm

I didn't have any elaborate theories. I just thought I was born with severe psychological problems. I had moments when I thought I was brain damaged or "slow", and then other moments when I thought I was smarter than everyone else around me. I didn't really know that I was different until I was in 4th grade.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 1:21 pm

I don't remember clearly. I had gotten some information on Aperger's before but my parents and doctors said it probably didn't apply to me. I don't remember exactly how I felt before that.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 1:31 pm

kiki3 wrote:
Most of my life I just thought I was shy. Then, as an adult, I started reading all kinds of self help books about how to overcome shyness. I finally came out of my shell, only to find that no one wanted to hear what I had to say! I seemed to have more social problems, the more I put myself out there. People thought I was fake, weird, and maybe crazy -- I don't know. Every time I thought I was doing a good job of being social, I got negative feedback from people. I

that's pretty much me right there. i always felt like a vulture circling little social clusters at parties... a crasher even though i was invited.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 1:33 pm

I had a revelation that I was autistic at 1993, but I got absolutely perplex whenI looked for the subject at the university library and found not about highfuctioning autists.

After that I built a theory in which the area distribution at my brain had favored reasoning reducing other mental abilities. I still think somethink like this happened, and still like all this. I am really a proud aspie.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 1:35 pm

I thought I was brain damaged. I thought it was because my parents were kinda...(ahem) "hippies" and I was affected by something that might have been consumed before I was born...my mom told me she didn't know she was pregnant till the third month or something like that..
(GADS>>I hope they don't read this)...i am just being frank....because I always did feel that there was something wrong with me and didn't know what or why...
I was also dropped on the head as a young child and though i did not require medical attention..I did remember it happening and thought maybe that was the reason...

Anywhoo...When i found out what ADD was, it all made sense...and then years later I discovered Asperger's syndrome and that makes sense too.