Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 1:24 pm

I know that part of the DSM-5 criteria for autism specifies that the impairments cause clinically significant impairment in one or more areas of current functioning. But I'm curious- does each symptom have to cause clinically significant impairment, or is it all the symptoms combined? If it is all the symptoms combined, then what counts as stimming? If stimming doesn't have to interfere with education or other areas of functioning, then wouldn't a lot of people (including people without autism) fit this part in the criteria? I have seen some threads on this topic already, but I haven't found a clear answer to my question. I'm just curious; it's not really a big deal to me. I'm just wondering how professionals can diagnose stimming behavior under the DSM-5 if the person is not constantly needing to stim.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 1:53 pm

Stimming isn't really a part of the diagnostic criteria, but it could come under repetitive behaviours. I think it's more related to anxiety than ASD directly.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:04 pm

Chichikov wrote:
Stimming isn't really a part of the diagnostic criteria, but it could come under repetitive behaviours. I think it's more related to anxiety than ASD directly.

Do you use the ICD-10 or the DSM-5? I don't think we are thinking of the same criteria :D .

Swimming can come as a result of anxiety, but what it really is is an attempt to calm, or "stimulate" an overwhelmed nervous system. If it was a direct result of anxiety, then 18%+ of the population would engage in this behavior. It actually is more connected to autism.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:18 pm

People with anxiety not related to ASD *do* do what you could call stimming, but it would be seen as fidgeting or something instead.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:25 pm

Chichikov wrote:
People with anxiety not related to ASD *do* do what you could call stimming, but it would be seen as fidgeting or something instead.

They might but they don't need to. Everyone "stims" under stress, but autistic people stim other times too. Look at the DSM-5 criteria.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:35 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

They might but they don't need to. Everyone "stims" under stress, but autistic people stim other times too. Look at the DSM-5 criteria.

There's two big assumptions there. First off I don't think everybody does stim under stress, and secondly I'm not sure autistic people stim for reasons other than stress. It might appear to be non-stress related to an observer only because they might not appreciate that an autistic person may simply have a generally high level of stress, and it may also not seem that way to the autistic person because the stimming is doing what it is intended to do which is to relieve that anxiety, so they may self-report that they are not anxious.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 2:52 pm

I don't think the DSM-V specifically talks about stimming. "two or more" of things in section B seems to be sufficient. I only included part of section B1 as this is the one I think pertains to stimming:
B. RESTRICTED, REPETITIVE PATTERNS OF BEHAVIOR, INTERESTS, OR ACTIVITIES AS MANIFESTED BY AT LEAST
2 OF 4 SYMPTOMS:

B1 includes preoccupations
with objects or topics

• Stereotyped or repetitive speech
o Pedantic speech or unusually formal language
(child speaks like an adult or “little professor”)   B1 includes atypical speech,
movements, and play
o Echolalia (immediate or delayed); may include
repetition of words, phrases, or more extensive
songs or dialog
o “Jargon” or gibberish (mature jargoning after
developmental age of 24 months)  
o Use of “rote” language  
o Idiosyncratic or metaphorical language (language that has meaning only to those familiar with
the individual’s communication style); neologisms
o Pronoun reversal (for example, “You” for “I”; not just mixing up gender pronouns)
o Refers to self by own name (does not use “I”)
o Perservative language (note: for perseveration on a specific topic, consider B3)
o Repetitive vocalizations such as repetitive
guttural sounds, intonational noise‐making,
unusual squealing, repetitive humming   
• Stereotyped or repetitive motor movements
o Repetitive hand movements (e.g., clapping,
finger flicking, flapping, twisting)  
o Stereotyped or complex whole body movements (e.g., foot to foot rocking, dipping, & swaying;
spinning)  
o Abnormalities of posture (e.g., toe walking; full body posturing)  
o Intense body tensing  
o Unusual facial grimacing  
o Excessive teeth grinding  
o Repetitively puts hands over ears (note: if response to sounds, consider B4)  
o Perseverative or repetitive action / play / behavior (note: if 2 or more components, then it is a
routine and should be considered under B2)
o Repetitive picking (unless clear tactile sensory component, then consider B4)
• Stereotyped or repetitive use of objects
o Nonfunctional play with objects (waving sticks; dropping items)  
o Lines up toys or objects  
o Repetitively opens and closes doors  
o Repetitively turns lights on and off 

Last edited by soloha on 27 Jul 2017, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:57 pm

soloha wrote:
I don't think the DSM-V specifically talks about stimming. "two or more" of things in section B seems to be sufficient. I only included section B3 as this is the one I think pertains to stimming:
B. RESTRICTED, REPETITIVE PATTERNS OF BEHAVIOR, INTERESTS, OR ACTIVITIES AS MANIFESTED BY AT LEAST
2 OF 4 SYMPTOMS:

B3 includes preoccupations
with objects or topics
o Repetitive vocalizations such as repetitive
guttural sounds, intonational noise‐making,
unusual squealing, repetitive humming   

• Stereotyped or repetitive motor movements
o Repetitive hand movements (e.g., clapping,
finger flicking, flapping, twisting)  
o Stereotyped or complex whole body movements (e.g., foot to foot rocking, dipping, & swaying;
spinning)  
o Abnormalities of posture (e.g., toe walking; full body posturing)  
o Intense body tensing  
o Unusual facial grimacing  
o Excessive teeth grinding  
o Repetitively puts hands over ears (note: if response to sounds, consider B4)  
o Perseverative or repetitive action / play / behavior (note: if 2 or more components, then it is a
routine and should be considered under B2)
o Repetitive picking (unless clear tactile sensory component, then consider B4)
• Stereotyped or repetitive use of objects
o Nonfunctional play with objects (waving sticks; dropping items)  
o Lines up toys or objects  
o Repetitively opens and closes doors  
o Repetitively turns lights on and off  

Yeah, you only need 2 out of 4 to qualify. Stereotyped or repetitive motor mannerisms is stimming.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 3:03 pm

Chichikov wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

There's two big assumptions there. First off I don't think everybody does stim under stress, and secondly I'm not sure autistic people stim for reasons other than stress. It might appear to be non-stress related to an observer only because they might not appreciate that an autistic person may simply have a generally high level of stress, and it may also not seem that way to the autistic person because the stimming is doing what it is intended to do which is to relieve that anxiety, so they may self-report that they are not anxious.

Ask people on here and they will tell you that they stim at times other than when they are anxious. That's why it is considered stimming in the first place. I'm not trying to offend you, but I am just telling you this from my personal experience. I don't just stim when I get anxious. I stim when I am happy, sad, overloaded, etc. Here's an example: Think about a NT stimming before giving a presentation. They might pace, bounce their leg, chew their nails, etc. Now think about an autistic person who is not giving a presentation. They will be doing the same thing. I don't believe anxiety is the only reason for stimming, at least in my case. Autistcis stim to calm themselves because they are overloaded with an emotion or sensory input. They also might stim to gain input. Not because they are a little nervous or bored.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 3:08 pm

I meant, literally, they do not refer to stimming. The don't use the word. Stimming is short for Self-stimulatory (I'm being deliberately obvious, so yes, i know, "duh" :) ) Even though many things in this section would be called stimming, I don't think the DSM-V is taking the view that it is "self stimulation". Or at least I a see no language to suggest this. They also do not qualify the circumstances under which these things occur (ie, "in response to stress", etc).

From what I read and have personally experienced stimming increases in response to stressors, but it is not limited to a response to stress. I often stim simply because I find comfort in it. Staring at a light is not the kind of stimming I would call a stress response, yet it is still stimming.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 3:26 pm

I don't stim at all. But dxd as an aspie.

Though I did things that could be called "stims" when I was a child and a teen, that my sister might have reported in her interview about me.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 3:40 pm

I didn't think I stimmed. Until one day I had an epiphany and realized a lot of things I do that always seemed normal to me that are considered stimming.

A couple of weeks ago I saw someone on this board make a comment about not knowing what you don't know because you don't know what you don't know, when it comes to social cues.

I'm not saying you don't know if you stim or not. But it just made me wonder to myself do I know what I don't know? Do I know what I do?

I keep on having these ahaha moments where I realize things I never gave any thought to that were just part of my life were, when looked at from the outside, autistic :|

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 6:21 pm

soloha wrote:
I meant, literally, they do not refer to stimming. The don't use the word. Stimming is short for Self-stimulatory (I'm being deliberately obvious, so yes, i know, "duh" :) ) Even though many things in this section would be called stimming, I don't think the DSM-V is taking the view that it is "self stimulation". Or at least I a see no language to suggest this. They also do not qualify the circumstances under which these things occur (ie, "in response to stress", etc).

From what I read and have personally experienced stimming increases in response to stressors, but it is not limited to a response to stress. I often stim simply because I find comfort in it. Staring at a light is not the kind of stimming I would call a stress response, yet it is still stimming.

Yeah; stimming does get worse under stress. It can be a response to stress. However, it is not always from stress.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 6:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I don't stim at all. But dxd as an aspie.

Though I did things that could be called "stims" when I was a child and a teen, that my sister might have reported in her interview about me.

But you don't have to stim to be diagnosed as an aspie. What if it was another symptom? Would each individual symptom need to be considered clinically significant? Or would it be all the symptoms together? I would like to hear your advice on this; you have insightful posts.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2017, 6:35 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
But you don't have to stim to be diagnosed as an aspie. What if it was another symptom? Would each individual symptom need to be considered clinically significant? Or would it be all the symptoms together? ...

From what I gather "clinically significant" is a judgment call by the doctor, psychologist, etc. Otherwise the DSM-V is very specific with wording that amounts to "Must have one or more symptom in two of the four sections of B", etc. Which means since "stimming" is only in section B1 having a symptom in two or more of B2-4 would get you a diagnosis. The DSM-IV seemed a lot more straightforward.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 6:41 pm

soloha wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
But you don't have to stim to be diagnosed as an aspie. What if it was another symptom? Would each individual symptom need to be considered clinically significant? Or would it be all the symptoms together? ...

From what I gather "clinically significant" is a judgment call by the doctor, psychologist, etc. Otherwise the DSM-V is very specific with wording that amounts to "Must have one or more symptom in two of the four sections of B", etc. Which means since "stimming" is only in section B1 having a symptom in two or more of B2-4 would get you a diagnosis. The DSM-IV seemed a lot more straightforward.

Yeah, I get confused by the DSM-5 sometimes. So do you think each individual symptom needs to be clinically significant (i.e. interfere with your life and functioning) or is it the symptoms all together? For example, if there is a person who has "clinically significant" social difficulties and has stimming and sensory issues that don't really interfere with their life, then do they still receive/deserve a diagnosis, in your opinion?