Loneliness and social isolation-not always the same

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2017, 10:37 pm

https://www.studyfinds.org/loneliness-s ... e-obesity/

I think we need to make a distinction between loneliness and social isolation. It is possible to be socially isolated and not feel lonely. For the most part I fall in that category. I sometimes need company because I’m bored with my own company, but I would hesitate to say it’s because of loneliness - loneliness is a very small factor.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 2:54 am

You make a good point. I can feel quite isolated, as I haven't had friends to speak of, for quite some time, and my family members are a distance from me, so I don't see them, often. As opposed to you, I don't 'get bored with my own company', but, rather, I tend to feel like a reject, or outcast. I don't get lonely, but, rather, I feel rejected by the world, at times, and a deep sadness can overcome me. This can make me feel socially isolated, but, not lonely.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 4:03 am

Yup. The only reasons I have anything to do with other people is either necessity, or boredom. I don't understand what loneliness is.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 4:05 am

Over the dozen years since my wife died I've had very little social contact apart from visits from family , and also for a short while going to a drop in.
The last 7 years especially has been a case of very little social contact.

I think I may have grown accustomed to my own company. Also psychologically it might be down to avoidance/ a protective mechanism.
I am fully aware of my difficulties with social interaction and a lifetime of very few friends. I think I may have got used to my own company as a means of deflecting or trying to deflect from those social interaction difficulties.

Also if one pays heed to genetics (controversial!) then there is the following genotype that I have.

https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs3923890(A;A)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 6:10 am

I agree a person can be socially isolated -- or at least that what other people view it as -- but they are not in fact lonely at all.

I notice whenever there is an article about good mental health or how to spot trouble in a loved one, it always points out "social isolation" as being a bad thing or a warning sign.

The funny thing is, to some of us, isolating ourselves socially is actually our GOOD thing and our way to recharge, not a bad thing and a warning that we are in trouble in our emotional and mental health.
I hate that blanket advice being put out there in the media.

Sauvain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2017, 10:33 am

I agree completely. For a long time I have been "socially isolated" in the sense of rarely seeing friends or acquaintances outside of work. But, I am this way by choice, because it is how I am happiest. I am almost never lonely.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 12:09 pm

In general, the human race disappoints me; aggravates me, really, so I isolate. I really want nothing to do with people. I'm okay in my own little world playing word games, listening to music, writing fiction, watching "Cops" episodes, etc.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 12:21 pm

I have always socially isolated myself to some extent but have never felt lonely , I could be the last person on Earth and I'd be fine ( I even stupidly told my GF this ) , well I definitely feel I wouldn't be lonely.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2017, 12:30 pm

I go in and out of feeling lonely and feeling content in my isolation. I've always preferred to be alone but every now and then I do start to crave more social interaction and I can get extremely lonely and depressed when I realize I don't have anyone in my life to help satisfy that feeling. I don't remember feeling this at all when I was younger and I remember always being happy to play and eat alone, but since reaching adulthood I am frequently wishing that I had at least one friend that I could talk to and spend time with.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 1:43 pm

Talking to people on Forums is pretty ideal for me most of the time.

I find people in person okay--but only in somewhat small doses.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 2:25 pm

I had an extreme bout with loneliness, come to think of it, a couple of years, ago, resulting from an isolated experience, and it was quite intense. But, that has nothing to do with the article, or topic at hand. (I was compelled to mention, since, I had mentioned I don't become lonely).

There is a point that the author touched on, which I do find true for myself. I experience rushes of endorphin secretion, during and after I have spent time on WP. I even have oxytocin rushes, from spending time, here, depending on the nature of my interactions, at the time. So, I do agree to the extent, that there are health benefits from socializing, as the afformentioned absolutely, contribute to a persons mental and physical health. Although, I can only speak for myself, and I know I don't possess some of the more common traits of Autism, which goes back to the depth/intensity that I experience emotions and empathy. Perhaps, I am way off topic, now, however.