Asperger`s = substitute for underactive Amygdala?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2010, 4:31 pm

I came across a few studies that suggest individuals on the autistic spectrum have abnormal amygdalas (fewer neurons and connections than NTs). The amygdala is the part of the brain associated with conditioning. I`m sure you have heard of it if you`ve done any research on the autistic spectrum. Basically this area takes physical sensations and emotions and ties them to experiences by way of memory. thus, the Amygdala plays a crucial role in understanding emotion, not just understanding what makes us feel sad or happy, but associating other's emotions with facial expressions and allowing others to make impressions on us that would eventually lead to an emotional connection. Essentially we learn the value of a sensation or emotion through our Amygdala.

Now, I`m sure someone has already thought of this. I didn`t take the time to see if there`s already a thread on it. I have come to the conclusion that there is a possibility that aspies have evolved obsessions and oversensitivites as a way of coping with an under active Amygdala. If our Amygdalas do not fully associate a painful sensation with a damaging activity or facilitate interest in an activity that it remembers as profitable, is it likely that Aspies have instead developed more acute sensation, increased passion (obsessive interest) as a means of making up for their poorer emotional/sensory memory? Of course this would not be a perfect substitute, Aspies still have a hard time picking up social cues for example. Tell me what you think of this theory.

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 4:57 pm

there is already a condition directly connected to an abnormally inactive, or indeed non-existant Amyglada, it is called Kluver-Bucy syndrome

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Kluver- ... ndrome.htm

Kluver-Bucy is a very rare condition, even rarer then autism, and they recon that it is caused by brain damage caused by Herpes contracted at birth.

The way one with Kluver-Bucy's makes up for the loss of sensory and emotional ability's is simply by trying to make up with it by using other means. People with the syndrome are 'Visialy Agnosiac' meaning that they could see but not recognise. They also have an intense desire to explore everything and they do so by using their mouth's (This symptom is called Hyperorality). They put lots of stuff in their mouth so that they can recognise or identify it.

Other symptoms of Kluver-Bucy include a complete loss of fear. People with Kluver-Bucy's cannot connect sensation to certain objects and so will repeatadly approach a danger without recognising it is dangerous (In a study, A man with Kluver-Bucy's got himself bitten by a snake, about 5 minutes later he attempted to pick the snake up and got bitten again).

People with Kluver-Bucy Syndrome also tend to be Hypersexual, meaning they have, well a very high sex drive. this is probably also connected to the sensory problems connected to the amyglada. people with the syndrome lack 'Sexual Restraint' and are prone to abusing themselves in public. Sometimes they learn to control this however.

When comparing the symptoms of Kluver-Bucy to Autism there is some similarities but not many.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2020, 8:45 pm

Sure, i believe people with ASD will commonly have abnormal amygdalas.
Amy G. Dala (i am sure i know her)...

Although i think that the abnormalities in the ASD brain aren't so simple as finding one part of the brain that is abnormal, i think that various parts are abnormal.

Neuroscience also says that people with ASD also have abnormal frontal lobes (that is why some of us have big foreheads, like Mr Tefal). This part of the brain deals with memory also, as well as emotion regulation, or as in our cases, emotion dysregulation.

The amygdala also functions closely with the hippocampus, which also is generally damaged (signified by atrophy between the two half's of this sea horse shape part of the brain). The hippocampus deals with memory also, in particular how we form new memories.

I know for a fact that i have a damaged hippocampus, from MRI scans. I believe this is very common in people with anxiety and or depression, and likely in people who have dyslexia, asd etc.

armandreyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Dec 2020, 1:26 pm

no, our amygdalas are more reactive than neurotypicals

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 3:42 pm

Is it only my amygdala that noticed this thread is more 10 years old?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.