Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 6:11 pm

Attempts to talk about the developmental/learning difficulties(dyspraxia,asd,nvld etc) have fallen on deaf and daft ears. Last time I mentioned it at the depot clinic I was met with total silence. A decade ago a then care coordinator arranged an appointment with a pdoc to discuss things. He asked a couple of totally irrelevant questions before huffily dismissing the issue. Have been scared to press the issue too much as I got branded awkward,demanding and troublesome for seeking more help and support before that. Psychiatric staff are so narrow minded that if you have a psych diagnosis everything is related to that diagnosis whether it makes sense to do that or not.

Has anyone else found a psych diagnosis has hindered you getting help and support due to the narrow mindedness of psychiatric staff ?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 7:38 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I got branded awkward,demanding and troublesome for seeking more help and support before that. Psychiatric staff are so narrow minded that if you have a psych diagnosis everything is related to that diagnosis whether it makes sense to do that or not.

Has anyone else found a psych diagnosis has hindered you getting help and support due to the narrow mindedness of psychiatric staff ?

Yep, I can relate to all of this----I got branded, too----and, it's not just psychiatric staff that does this, IME, it's ANY member of a medical staff that I met, henceforth, of my diagnosis.

Another problem I've had with alot of doctors, is with them having a "God complex"----some of them will tell you the most STUPID / illogical things, you've ever heard, in your LIFE, and expect that you'll just "fall-in-line", kiss their ring, and buy everything they're sellin' (like: "Please, sir, may I have some more").

It's enough to make a preacher cuss, I tell ya!! LOL

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 8:12 pm

firemonkey wrote:

For the longest time I've been the model subservient patient by never questioning anything , took the drugs prescribed and did what i was told. It was only because my GF was with me at my last stint with a shrink that things started to change , she questioned his methods , she questioned his credentials ( we then found out he was Grade 2 Dr and not a shrink ) , when we asked to see a proper shrink we were denied saying that I didn't need to see one ?

It was as this point I re-evaluated the NHS mental health system and have adopted a different approach , I read up on the rules on what I was allowed to ask for and what they were then obliged to give me , then with this new knowledge I gave it to them both barrels but in an informed and concise way , I was never aggressive or rude just stated the facts of what I was entitled to.

I think it has been a bit of a blessing that I have never had a diagnosis of anything but depression and nervous breakdowns because no Dr will say it is normal to have as many breakdowns as I've had in 25 years so something else is definitely going on but no one wants to commit and quite frankly all they ever cared about was me not becoming another suicide or murder statistic :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 9:41 pm

I found the opposite, actually.
I was in a very, very bad position but was denied any help to rectify that until I accepted a psychiatric diagnosis (GID). I don't believe in this diagnosis at all, I believe it's a crock of BS and that trans people are in no way "sick."
But the minute I had that diagnosis, and they were able to connect "oh, this person has a diagnosed psychiatric condition" with "we have to treat this person," suddenly I was eligible to get the help I needed.
After that, whenever I mentioned a problem I was having with dysphoria, everyone was very accepting and understanding because "that's part of GID." Whereas before, it was dismissed.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 9:36 am

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky ,but I have been subjected to a lot of character assassination and not much in the way of support. That was especially true when I was actively seeking more help and support because I had the insight to know I had difficulties/problems.
Nowadays I’ll very occasionally mention things which falls on deaf/daft ears. I don’t press things for fear of a repeat of previous abuses, and having to tolerate the lack of compassion and intelligence that comes with it.
Now staff are basically indifferent. Sure they are programmed to ask how you are,but you can tell by the way they respond/fail to respond to your answers that it’s a superficial concern.
Very much a case of going through the motions.