Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 10:57 pm

Today I was walking home and some idiot yelled out of his car window to me "dickhead" I have had people yell things like dickhead, ret*d etc at me occasionally normally I just ignore them (even though it upsets me) today I retorted "got a problem "f***wit" and kept walking. I don't look that different but have been told I have an unusual walking style. Have you guys had anything like this happen? how do you handle it?

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 10:59 pm

It has nothing to do with the way you walk I think; this is just something that stupid people do when they see people walking down the street. I know because people have done this from my car and I have yelled at them for it. It happens to everyone.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

01 Jun 2007, 11:01 pm

When I was young, innocent, and rude, I used to flip off guys who would whistle or whatever at me from cars.

Now I don't even know how to respond. When I go out jogging, I wear headphones and a baseball cap so that I can ignore everybody and they'll just think I didn't see or hear them.

And like Mal said, I don't think it is likely to have anyting to do with who you are or how you move. It's just something that some people do, for reasons beyond my ken.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 11:03 pm

gwenevyn wrote:
When I was young, innocent, and rude, I used to flip off guys who would whistle or whatever at me from cars.

Actually, I think you had it right. But then again I still am somewhat young, innocent, and rude.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2007, 11:14 pm

Do you live in a college town? It's pretty common and nothing to get upset about or dwell on. They probably do it to almost anyone they see and it really isn't directed at you in particular.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 11:31 pm

There were jerks at my high school who would do stuff like that. I just ignored them.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 12:02 am

When that kind of morons whistle or yell something to me, I ignore them.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 1:10 am

I get that sometimes by guys if I'm out walking. They'll whistle or make dumb comments. It's stupid, really, since they already know there is no way I'll reciprocate. I think some people are a bit lagging on the road of evolution since they act like apes...

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

02 Jun 2007, 1:28 am

skahthic wrote:
I get that sometimes by guys if I'm out walking. They'll whistle or make dumb comments. It's stupid, really, since they already know there is no way I'll reciprocate. I think some people are a bit lagging on the road of evolution since they act like apes...

Yeah, I've been thinking about it for years, and I still can't figure out the motivating factor for cat calls.

It's even worse south of the border.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 1:51 am

Maybe you guys are right it isn't to do with me I guess I am just a little sensitive because I have been picked on a lot in my life. No I don't live in a college town, I live in a large city. I do usually ignore them today was the first time I retaiated.

Jimbogf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jun 2007, 2:02 am

I work outdoors and near roads quite a bit. People always holler or honk or cat call. Most of the time I ignore it. Sometimes it amuses me, because it reminds me of monkeys screeching.

Last edited by Jimbogf on 02 Jun 2007, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 2:02 am

i believe the same as others. it's not you, they do it with anybody. that's their only way how to downplay others. it's very weak, since the other person has little chance to respond. i moved from a small city, where it never happened to me, to capital of Portugal. here, it seems like a national hobby. specially when i am driving bicycle. they are not used to see people on bikes. they honk, yell something i don't understand, and once somebody threw at me a glass bottle.

Last edited by tomamil on 02 Jun 2007, 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

02 Jun 2007, 2:03 am

Jimbogf wrote:
it reminds me of monkeys screeching.

Bwahaha.... yes.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 2:13 am

Cars make people “feel” invincible; it doesn’t make them so.

Kosmonaut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 8:29 am

Yes, it happens sometimes.
Yesterday someone directed a noise at me. I didn't pick up the word. But it was a car with 4 males in it. The shouter had like an american football helmet on.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 8:48 am

Catster2 wrote:
Today I was walking home and some idiot yelled out of his car window to me "dickhead" I have had people yell things like dickhead, ret*d etc at me occasionally normally I just ignore them (even though it upsets me) today I retorted "got a problem "f***wit" and kept walking. I don't look that different but have been told I have an unusual walking style. Have you guys had anything like this happen? how do you handle it?

I guess I have been lucky! People have made fun of my posture/actions, and sometimes made fun of idiosyncracies like going in the cold snow with no jacket, and even sometimes called me stupid for that, but that is as bad as it got with derision of my intelligence.

Frankly, I know that I am realistically probably 10 times as smart as they are, even if tests may only show 1/5 to 2 times. So I see a different area the way I walk. I often end up better off. As for the jacket, I am freer, and more comfortable. Frankly, I LIKE the cold!

Steve