Emotion overload while watching embarassing scenes in movies

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 4:00 am

Ever since I was a child, I've found it hard watching people do embarassing stuff in movies. Naturally, you tend to identify with the characters while watching movies, and whenever they do something really inappropriate, it's like my mind screams "that's wrong!" and I'm often forced to look away. This happened a lot when I watched the American pie movies, had to look away quite a few times. I assume this is an AS trait and other people here have experienced the same?

Usually it's when characters get caught doing something embarassing, or they fail to take the right action from not understanding the situation.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 4:14 am

I don't like the humour that makes fun of other people so I suppose that is why I don't like to watch that kind of stuff.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

03 Jun 2007, 4:19 am

Oh, totally.

I used to get that feeling with books, too, when I was very young. I would sometimes fastforward or skim through the embarrassing parts.

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jun 2007, 4:26 am

Absolutely!! !

Aysmptotes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2007, 4:53 am

Oh my gosh yes. When I see something for a second time and I know something really embarrassing is about to happen I just can't watch. It becomes pretty much unbearable to me. I have to shut my eyes and hum a song to myself. Until it is over. Hell, I can watch horror movies gore all that stuff with an excited goofy smile on my face and when all that gore happens I get so excited and do a small excited air clap. But when something embarrassing happens to someone on TV or something I just can't watch. Its like a NT's reaction to the horror movies. I'm glad to know that I am not alone.

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 4:57 am

Interesting. Wouldn't this show an overabundance of empathy, something that we as aspies are supposed to lack?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 5:03 am

Yes completely..I go nuts..go into overload..all that jazz...

Fedaykin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 5:04 am

We definitely have basic empathy, identifying with something that happens to another person and feeling some of their pain when we watch it. We mostly just lack the active interest in other people's feelings, they need to display their pain for us to realize it. And of course, staying true to logic and facts is more natural to us than caring about how people will recieve a message.

I guess what causes it is that we're not able to silence these emotions, so they just keep on echoing in our minds while they're sorted out pretty fast in an NT brain. They're much more desensitized than we are.

Cryowolf
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2007, 5:10 am

Nope, I just laugh at the American Pie movies :P I would be embarassed if I sat and watched it with my mother though, that's not something you watch with a mother.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 5:32 am

It is so hilarious and yet embarrassing.

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 6:09 am

this is a real bugbear of mine too. i still can't watch most films. seriously, what is a bit of 'fun' to others is an emotional rollercoaster for me. i flinch and stim every time something happens and i cannot stand special effects. too much sensory input.

on the rare occassion that i do go to see a film (and i have to pick something i am really interested in) i cannot make even light conversation for at least 20 minutes and most people i know like to go to the pub/cafe and immediately discuss the film we just saw. :?

i watch telly maybe twice a month and preferably on my own.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

03 Jun 2007, 6:24 am

I get that too, I absolutely HATE those scenes. If it's on TV and I've seen it before, I'm out of the room before you can say "Where're you going?"

I also need a good half hour to 45 mintues to recover from a movie.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2007, 6:39 am

Fedaykin wrote:
Ever since I was a child, I've found it hard watching people do embarassing stuff in movies. Naturally, you tend to identify with the characters while watching movies, and whenever they do something really inappropriate, it's like my mind screams "that's wrong!" and I'm often forced to look away. This happened a lot when I watched the American pie movies, had to look away quite a few times. I assume this is an AS trait and other people here have experienced the same?

Usually it's when characters get caught doing something embarassing, or they fail to take the right action from not understanding the situation.

i can definitely agree...i get this a lot in parts of a movie where i have gone through things such as the character is going through and i have to turn away or close my eyes and make noise in my head to not hear what is happening...oh yeah on those reality or talk shows as well when someone unsuspecting finds out horrible news..that one always gets me...guess thats why ive turned off my cable for now...

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 6:41 am

I only find it excrutiating when I'm watching it with other people.

kt-64
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 7:36 am

I do look away sometimes. I dunno why.

Kris94
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2007, 8:01 am

i hate embarresing scenes in movies, especilly when people have acidents via bowel movment. :oops: i go all red and often go out of the room. dont know why though.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

:jester: