Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Rukkus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Oct 2017, 9:24 am

Has anyone tried mirroring others' body language? I am pretty bad at feeling connected with others but when I thought of this it helps me (when I decide to). I copy the person's body direction they are pointing and posture, as well as eye contact.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 10:59 am

A lot of people with autism mimic such things. I think it's a good way to get by with what doesn't come naturally.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 11:44 am

It's bizarre: but I'm a very poor mimic----unless the thing or person being mimicked is actually present before me.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2017, 12:34 pm

I try to mimick others. Been doing that since early childhood. Now, if I really achieve my objectives with that... probably debatable.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2017, 12:58 pm

Body language no, dress, language and culture, definitely, like my whole life

BBC: Radio 4

thebelgradebelief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2017, 6:19 pm

I definitely mimic social cues and body language, mostly subconsciously at this point. I even mimic expressions when I'm watching movies or YouTube videos until I catch myself doing them and feel embarrassed.

High school student with Autism and ADHD.
Diagnosed 3/22/18.

Special Interest: The Beatles

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 9:26 pm

This isn't something I'm able to do with non-autistics at all, but I've had some limited success with other people with autism. Of course, that means I'm mirroring "dysfunctional" things like avoiding eye contact or using "incorrect" body language.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 9:37 pm

I'd only feel that I was going to "get caught" and have the person think I was mocking them or something. That's certainly what happened when I was talking to someone with cerebral palsy.

(the cerebral palsy bit was a joke by the way, but the rest wasn't, I'd feel too self-conscious doing something like that)

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 7:04 pm

I take on the body language/speech characteristics of people I like, which I didn't realize I did until someone pointed it out! It's almost like echolalia for me- I will copy and repeat what others do/say because it doesn't come naturally to me. I don't, however, have that masking ability that many girls on the spectrum have :lol: . I suck at socializing! I never really "camouflage"- I just copy things people I like so because it makes me happy in a way. I never make eye contact or choose to copy people consciously either.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 2:27 am

I can't do such real life mimicry of others style myself.

But sometimes I internally mimic organized disciplined proactive go-getter type characters, to be more like that myself and break out of executive dysfunction for a while.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 3:57 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
This isn't something I'm able to do with non-autistics at all, but I've had some limited success with other people with autism. Of course, that means I'm mirroring "dysfunctional" things like avoiding eye contact or using "incorrect" body language.

This isn't what I meant. I can't actually imitate others, I just have certain behaviors in common with others with autism.