Problems with talking too quietly and mumbling

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2017, 2:28 pm

Hello. Im not sure whether this is related to ASD / my aspergers or not but Is there any one else with this issue and how can I stop doing it.
Sometimes, not all the time, I have issues with talking too quietly, mumbling, getting my words jumbled up and controlling my tone of voice. Example of my tone of voice problem is today when I was at a camp site a guy who I walked past said good morning. I said it back to him but it came out sounding moody or angry. Often this happens and people think I'm grumpy or sarcastic or something. Usually happens when saying goodbye or good morning to someone. Also I have issues with voice volume. I get told by everyone I talk too quietly. It annoys people and all my life I've constantly been told to speak up. When I talk i try talk loudly and my voice sounds very loud. To me but to others it's very quite, like a mouse they say. Also I get told I mumble alot and need to talk more clearly. I notice I do this alot and I can't help it. Sometimes my words can get jumbled up and come out as if I'm taking in another language and this has caused me to be bullied by one colleague where I used to work who called me weird for it but strangely to me I sound perfectly clear.

KoalaKid1578
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Oct 2017, 7:36 pm

Yeah this is a constant issue I've had for most of my life as well. Sometimes I have a hard time gauging how much I need to speak up and it just comes out as very mumbly >_< Other times I can come off as too loud in public spaces where I have an even harder time gauging the sound of my own voice, though being too loud is usually not a problem. I try to be more aware of it, though whenever I'm anxious or quite nervous it can be a very hard thing to monitor. If I come off as too quite sometimes I really just overshoot the sound of my own voice since I have a hard time trusting my own judgement. Eventually, I can re-adjust how "normal" my voice should sound, though it never hurts to have an outside perspective to let me know so I can re-adjust accordingly.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 8:02 pm

People always say I'm mumbling, then when I'm talking about something I'm passionate about I'm loud and sound aggressive. Wish they'd make their minds up.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 12:15 am

Yes, more than a few people tend to say "huh?" around me, or some will start talking while I'm talking. A lot of times I have such low energy for speaking, I just give up when this happens.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 1:50 am

I speak very quietly at work but a more level at home. I think it is more to do with work already being noisy and it hurts my head to add to it.

BobinPgh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2017, 2:55 am

I sometimes do not speak well either, especially if I am tired. I guess NT people can just talk on and on. Constantly I get huh/what/what's that/pardon me because many people not only cannot hear well, they don't want to listen.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 12:25 pm

I went to speech therapy for 5 years and still have this problem most of the time. though again this is post-burnout.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 6:50 am

I am terrible at talking to the hard of hearing. Sometimes I find it stressful. Even if I speak clear, with a "cheerful" sort of tone, I still can't get heard by deaf people. I'm not the sort to shout, so I find it draining when I have to.

I do hate my voice. It's very low and I sound like a heavy smoker, even though I don't smoke at all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 7:00 am

Some guys like the "lower register" woman's voice. Lauren Bacall comes to mind. That sort of voice could "get me going." I'm glad you don't smoke.

I was called "mumbles" in high school. Sometimes, it still happens to me. I also stutter. Sometimes, I also speak too loud

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 7:27 am

I have really low voice too unless I'm really excited, then I can be unnecessarily loud but it's rare. My normal way of talking includes mumbling and stuttering as well. I'm all the time asked to repeat myself.